Reload this Page >

North conway, NH area

Search

North conway, NH area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM
lou

North conway, NH area

Heading out to this area, unknown to us. What to see? what to do? Yes I know there is outlet shopping. Where to eat? What sight not to miss? Thanks

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Mark

You know, searching the web results in unimaginable resources. Have you tried that? In the alternative, you could wander into your local bookstore and pick up a tour guide, or up to a dozen or more. There is scenery in every direction. A good roadmap would be a nice thing to bring along, or pick up once you get there. And, there are any number of visitor's centers chock full of brochures and maps should you not have bothered to do any web research or requested any info from the multitude of web resources available before leaving home. As for the OUTLETS, if you're smart, you'd (unless this is the priority of your trp) be real smart to get yourself a REALLY good road map so as to know how to AVOID the "outlet traffic" in North Conway.

Those "in the know" heading for this area do NOT stay in North Conway (unless they are "outlet crazy"). Be advised that the outlets, if that's the purpose of your trip (not a bad idea, as there is NO SALES TAX in NH) are "hit or miss".

NO ONE stays in North Conway, if they can help it. And, if they do, they find the back road around the rididiculous outlet traffic.

If all you want to do is "eat", you'll find an enormous array of possibilities EVERYWHERE along the way. Should you wish to "dine", do a web search, buy a tour guide.

As for "what sight not to miss", all you have to do is look around once you get there. Not to mention glorios scenic drives in every direction.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:44 AM
monique

Go NOW. I drove through New Hampshire and Vermont last weekend and the foliage was the most beautiful I have ever seen! And I have lived in New England all my life.

The outlets are hit or miss, but aren't all outlets? What kind of shopping are you looking for?

The Kangamangus highway is a pretty drive, and I would suggest you go to the Franconia area off of 93. There are a few neat things to do there: The 'Man in the Mountain' -- a natural granite formation than looks like a man's profile (also NH's state symbol, I think)
The flume (I think that's what it's called!) -- a neat walking train / boardwalk that takes you through a neat gorge
There's a cable car to the top of one of the mountains.

This area of the state is pretty quiet! Not a ton to do but relax and enjoy nature. Have you considered going to Portsmouth or anywhere on the seacoast?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Rose

You don't mention whether you are willing to drive much...
Mt. Washington is not too far away, and is definetely worth the trip. The views are spectacular. And you pass the Old Man in the Mountain and the Flume on the way.
West of Conway is another neat little place called the Lost River. There are walkways through a gorge with many hollowed rocks to climb through, if you're so inclined.
About an hour away is the town of Littleton - very quaint with good restuarants.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Sandy

Drive up to Mt. Washington and take the train up to the summit. Beautiful. If you need a place to stay try the Darbyfield Inn. Out in the middle of nowhere but a lovely inn with good food and friendly hosts. I can't remember exactly how we did it but turning at the light in the middle of the N. Conway quaint shopping area we headed toward a small mountain and it was a great drive.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:47 AM
M.

I disagree that "noone stays in North Conway". Off season it isn't bad at all traffic-wise, and central to some fine restaurants and the small but excellent weather museum. More of a home-base than a destination though - there are more atmospheric places to stay outside the town.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:11 AM
zootsi

Realize that foliage season is past it's peak in this area, but you should still see some nice color. As for things to do, the White Mountains are an interesting mix of touristy type attractions surrounded by some of the most spectacular wilderness east of the Mississippi. The drive up Mt. Washington is unforgettable, especially if it's clear on the summit. If you enjoy hiking or even walking, this area is a hiking mecca. Pick up a Delormers hiking map of the White Mountains(about $4) at any local country store for hundreds of hikes and walks at every level. Driving on some of the back roads can be an adventure, there is a good chance you might even spot a moose.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Sue

Lou,
When are you planning to visit? Depending on the season there are various activities...But beautiful in all seasons.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Linda

Stop at a place with brochures and pick up a detailed local map.

The new North/South road just opened last weekend. It gets you around all the N. Conway traffic. West Side Road is also a good short cut.

Pick up a copy of the Mountain Ear (this paper is also online). It tells you what's going on where for the weekend.

Have dinner and/or dessert & coffee drinks at the 1785 Inn (fine dining on Rt 16 in Bartlett - they have a cute comfortable lounge w/backgammon).

Horsefeathers is also good (in the center - more casual but great food).

Have breakfast at Peaches (Rt 16 on the left just at the start of N. Conway Center - excellent waffles and good specials)

There are lots of good places to eat in the Jackson loop too. I like Wildcat Inn & Shannon Door (sp?) - drive under the covered bridge and stop look at the view.

Hike a few trails on the Kangamangus, Black Cap & Diana's Bath are also nearby easy trails.

If you are not a hiker, take a drive up Cathedral Ledge. You can park at the top walk about 100 yards and you get a great view of the entire valley. This is great in the fall.

If you are an avid hiker, take the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the peak of Mt Washington, otherwise drive the Mt. Washington Auto Road (skip the Cog - expensive and long slow ride giving you only 15 minutes at the top).

The N. Conway RR is a nice ride.

The Eagle Mountain House in Jackson has a nice driving course (grass tees versus mats).

There are lots of good golf courses (I like the one at Hale's Location on West Side Road - only 9 holes but great views). The hotel there has the best Sunday Brunch in the Valley.

There are not many bike trails in the area (unless you mountain bike). For casual, pretty bike trails head over the Kangamangus to Cannon Mountain. There you can rent bikes and bike down to see Old Man of the Mountain and the Basin.

There are lots of other "touristy" things in the area but most closed last weekend.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Ralph

Who is this guy who says not to stay in North Conway?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:35 AM
ILOVENH

OK

1. Useful email adresses -
www.mountainear.com
www.valleyguides.com
www.jacksonnh.com
www.4seasonresort.com

2. If money is a consideration stay in North Conway - There are PLENTY of clean and affordable motels. If money is less of an issue stay in Jackson it is far more attractive, ahs many cute shops, pubs, restaurants etc.

3. Eat brekfast a Gunthers www.gunthersrestaurant.com/

4 If going soon take a trip on the cog railway up Mt washington - If going in winter take the 'snowcoach' up mt washington www.mt-washington.com/ggt/winter/sightsee.html

5. In jackson NH the Red fox pub has a sunday jazz brnch buffet - Very reasonable.

6. Drive the Kanc but remember there are no gas staions on it!

7. If cute is your thing - Take a photo in front of the 'Covered bride' as you enter Jackson.

Travel to Franconia and visit 'The flume' and the 'Notch'................................ more later