Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston In October - Is weekend enough time?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Joanna

We are thinking of a long weekend in Charleston in October - Is that enough time to see the sites. Also we would be flying, so would it be necessary to rent a car or can you get by with walking and cabs - Looking for a romantic B&B - any suggestions?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:20 PM
dan woodlief

Two days should allow you to cover the historic area fairly well, but it would be hard to see plantations, Patriots Point or other sights. I generally recommend 3-4 days in Charleston, but again you may be ok with a full weekend. If you are only seeing the historic district, you are ok with a lot of walking and the buses. I would guess the historic district is about two miles long, with the main area of the City Market to the Battery being close to a mile. It is about 4-5 blocks in width. For anything else, you would really want a car. Charleston is very easy for driving.

See my travelogue from October 1999 at www.oneeyed.homestead.com (a 4-day trip). I just returned from a second trip of over a week (with a 3-year old). I expect to have that travelogue with lots more photos online by next Monday-Tuesday (it is almost finished) and will post a notice on Fodors when it is ready.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:47 AM
dan woodlief

Joanna,

My new travelogue is now online. I have tried to give links for additional information on most sights and restaurants.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:55 AM
sharon

2 days enough to give you a taste of Charleston and you'll want to return. Can get around for 2 days walking and the bus.

Have fun.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Carol

Joanna,

Oct. should be a great time to visit (hurricanes, be damned!). I think there is a ferry boat that takes you from the Chas. side to Patriots Point. However, if all you want to do is go to Ft. Sumter, you can go to the new pier right next to the Aquarium, just off of E. Bay and Calhoun.

There is plenty to see and do in the downtown area in 2 days. First, go to the Visitors Center, get a ticket for the DASH, and you can get on and off around town. Do you know where you will be staying yet?

You can even take CARTA (the bus system) from the Market to get to the beach at Isle of Palms (probably also out to Folly, but I'm not sure about that one.)

Enjoy...

Carol

PS: You will certainly want to return to visit plantations, etc...