Which Zion NP hikes in two days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are going to Zion for two days. We're leaving from Las Vegas early on a Saturday, have reservations for the Desert Pearl for Saturday night, and are leaving late Sunday evening to head back to Vegas. We'll be going for a weekend in mid-September.

On my short list are the Narrows hike and Angel's Landing. I'm definitely planning on doing one on each day. Will I have time for a few shorter hikes on those days, or should I stick to just these two?

Also, how scary is the Angel's Landing hike? My boyfriend is already referring to it as the Scary Angel hike. I understand it is not for those with a fear of heights. I've tried checking it out from different hikers' journals online and looking at photos, but I'm not sure if I'm getting a good feel for it. I'm not exactly comfortable with heights, but I DO NOT want this to prevent me from getting to the top. I can control the fear of heights if I have a feeling of relative safety. Is this a particularly dangerous hike? I think the bottom line is that I'm going to do it, or at least attempt it, but I want to prepare myself mentally!

Thanks for the help...
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:40 AM

You will be able to do more than one hike the day you do Angel's Landing. I went up in the morning and it took me 2 or 2.5 hours to make the round-trip to Scout's Landing. We hiked some more in the evening (it was too hot during the afternoon to hike when I was there).

I have a bit of a fear of heights myself and the stretch up to Scout's Landing was not bad at all. Because most of the hike is switchbacks you do not face any huge drop-offs on the mnajority of the hike - you're up high, but if you actually slipped you'd end up on the trail below. You also have great traction on this part of the trail - cement and gravel mix - which I appreciated. When you get up to Scout's Landing you are almost to the top and have incredible views. The last quarter mile (or half mile?) to Angel's landing is on the rock face - foot holes have been cut out of the rock and you hold on to a chain railing. I tried a bit and decided it was psychologically too much for me. Even though I didn't complete it - it was worth it - beautiful views and if you boyfriend continues on without you he won't have far to go and you'll have a beautiful place to wait.

We didn't get a chance to do the Narrows as it was closed due to flooding when we were there, so can't help you there.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:54 AM

Lisa -- very much appreciate your detail of Angel's Landing; we weren't sure about doing it, now I'm sure we can do it and will need to convince DH.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Lisa-

Yes, thank you for the response. Good to know the hike won't take too long - that way we can get more in that day... I'm really hoping I can get up that last part of the hike. That's the part I am most concerned... One report I read on the hike stated that right at the beginning you have to step over a huge boulder and it's very narrow, so it's kind of difficult to handle mentally, if you have a fear of heights. I guess I'll just have to try it and see!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

To everyone who answered my questions - thanks, and I've posted my Zion trip report if you're interested. Thanks again!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM

It sounds like you had a really amazing trip. Congratulations on making it up to AL.