Search

Angel's landing vs. Narrows in Zion

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel's landing vs. Narrows in Zion

Hi, dear friends,
I am planning a trip from Las vegas to Yellowstone. On the way, we plan to visit Zion and Bryce. I did some research, especially from this forum, for Zion, both angle's landing and narrows looks very attractive to me. Since we stay in Zion for one day, is there any good suggestion which trail I should take?
By the way, from some photo, the last leg of Angel's landing looks scared to me? Would you guys tell me how difficult it is? How long does it need to take the angel's landing?
I appreciate any inputs. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Two completely different hikes. Narrows is level...as long as you consider walking in the river level (which it is not).

Angels Landing is much more strenuous, uphill, and people with height or edge concerns are strongly discouraged.

Personally I would take Angels Landing in a minute but I like heights.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:34 AM

I think Angel's Landing is a wonderful hike and is well worth all the effort it takes. The first part is a somewhat paved trail that is steep but not difficult.

However the last part of the trail is along the ridge where they have posts into the ground and a heavy duty chain running between. I'm not the best with heights and had some chills along the way, but the view at the end was worth it.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Hi Feng. If you decide to do Angels Landing do be aware, if you are not already, that there is sort of a plateau before you begin the last 1/4 mile of the journey. It is the last 1/4 mile that is steep, chains, narrow etc... We didn't do the last 1/4 mile and still enjoyed the hike and had great views. Just wanted you to know you had options if you had concerns over the last part of the hikes and that you had the option of deciding once you got to that point. We didn't feel it was a wasted hike, although I keep thinking if we go back that I would like to do that last 1/4 mile!
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:40 PM

You don't have to do the last part for the trail to be very enjoyable.

When I did Angels Landing about 100 meters into the last part there was a very scared young woman from Germany who had looked down and freaked out. She wrapped herself around one of the poles and had to have her hand pried away by her friends and almost dragged back to the start of the hard part.

Not trying to scare you, but giving ypu a heads up.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys. Your information is very helpful, especially the scared German woman. I hope I would not be so scared.
As chitowngirl suggests, I will definitely go Angel's landing, but I will make my decision based on my feeling when I face the last part.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Two things:

Angel's Landing is fairly strenuous especially in hot weather. Start EARLY. Going to the Scout's Outlook point in the trail (before the last scary 1/4 mile) will still give you awesome views.

If hiking the Narrows, you must check with the ranger station for weather conditions. It's a narrow canyon and is subject to flash floods. If you do go, take TWO "treking" poles. Sort of like ski poles, but telescopic. Sports store in the old church, where Zion Pizza and Noodle is, has them for sale and tour guide companies in Springdale may have them for rent. They will really help you balance on the rocky river bottom. The entire hike is about 17 miles one way. You can shuttle to the starting point and hike down into Zion if you want to do the whole thing one way.

Have fun, take gallons of water, sunscreen and a hat!
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:07 PM

I'm returning to Zion and have one day there that I intend to dedicate to Angel's Landing. I don't think I'll have any trouble aerobically since I'll rest as long and as often as I feel like. That last stretch has me a little concerned though but I'm determined to make it to the top. Here's the addresses of some images I found on the web that will give you some idea of what we're all talking about. These are NOT my images.

http://www.dockney.com/zion%20images...anding%201.jpg

http://www.dockney.com/zion%20images...0chain%201.jpg

http://geoweb.tamu.edu/RGallery/zion2003/nine/9e.html

Still up for it?

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM

I haven't done the Angel's Landing hike, but we did the Narrows. It was one of the best hikes we've ever done. The narrow part was so cool - we hiked up to Orderville Canyon and explored in there a bit. A totally unique hike.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Dayle - Scout's Outlook!!! It was killing me I couldn't think of what that area was called.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

peterboy,
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Awesome! I think maybe it's better for me to stop at Scout's Outlook.
I also want to explore some part of the Narrows. If I hike the Angel's landing early in the morning and return to the tailhead at noon, do you guys think I could make some part of the Narrows?

Thanks Dayle, your suggestions are very important to me.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Yes, if you have the energy. From the shuttle stop, it's a 1 mile paved, level hike to where the trail "ends" and you have to walk in the water. Just make your way upstream as far as you like, going back will be down stream. It is all gorgeous. For shoes, we wear old running shoes and socks. It's only a few minutes from the A.Landing shuttle stop to the Narrows one.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM
OliveOyl

I still kick myself that I turned back on Angels Landing. Aerobically it wasn't a problem, but I looked down midway into the chains and that was it--I crept back to the little plateau above Walters Wiggles (you'll know them when you get there ). My husband and son went one landing beyond mine but stood looking at the remainer too long and chickened out. Our daughter and son-in-law completed it (although she has an issue with heights too.) I've come to the conclusion that it won't be for me the next time either. Sheer drop offs and narrow ledges are more than I can handle--as well as a source of a recurring falling dream. I'd be right thare with the German tourist, frozen to one of those poles!

Now, when my daughter and her husband reached the top another couple had just gotten up there, and in their backpacks they had formal wear which they donned over their hiking clothes. Tux for him, gown for her. they set up a tripod and did their picture for that year's Christmas card!

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:32 AM

As I was reading through the responses I kept wondering why not do both so I'm glad you asked too. GIGIB is right, if you get an early start at Angel's Landing you can do both. You will be happy to put your feet in the water at the Narrows in the afternoon too.

As for Angel's Landing, I found the last part of the hike looks worse than it is when you view it from Scout's Lookout. Thankfully, when you are at the area with the chains you are too busy looking where to put your feet next to look over the edge.