What's your favorite hike in Zion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next week we leave for Las Vegas followed by a three day excursion to Zion. Would like to do several moderate (or easier) hikes--no more than 3 hrs RT. Am interested in hearing recommendations from others.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Most of the hikes in Zion, other than the Narrows, are steep uphill.

The Weeping Wall is not bad at all. The continuation trail, Hidden Canyon, gets you well up above the canyon floor.
But there are a few stretches where you are on a shelf of rock. I think someone with a fear of heights would have some difficulty there. The trail if fairly wide, but under crowded conditions it could be a little dicey.

It did not bother me, but I have good friends who would be concerned.

The Emerald Pools trails are good. Not much gain in height, and I don't recall any severe dropoffs.

But, the best people to talk to are the staff rangers.

I am not sure anymore that my advice is for all hikers!! Two years ago my wife and I were asked about a trail in another park. (I was 70 at the time.) We had taken the trail at least twice in prior yers. Before answering, we thought about it and replied that tje trail was easy except for one tough place where there was a 5 foot high step up that took some agility to navigate. Otherwise, we could not recall any dropoffs that bothered us.

The problem was that there were dropoffs! We had never paid any attention to them because they never struck us as remarkable!! Our advisee confronted afterwards with "I thought you told us ...." One man's meat is another man's poison. So I am very careful now about saying too much.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:39 PM

My favorite hike in Zion is the Riverside Walk which ends at the Gateway to the Narrows. This is a pretty easy 2 mile round trip hike. If we spend three days in the park, we would probably do this hike 2 or 3 times.

Emerald Pools would be my second favorite. The lower and middle pools are moderate, IMHO. The upper pool can be a little harder.

Utahtea
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Favorite was the Riverside Walk and then some water walking a little into the Narrows! The Upper Pool hike is second.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM

I love the Emerald Pools hike esp the Upper Pool...it is breathtaking IMO. Also liked Riverside into the Narrows(about 3/4mile)too.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:40 AM

I agree with the previous posters-- esp. abt the upper emerald pools. If you can do the middle trail, it shouldn't be much trouble to go to upper-- and it's very lovely. The Kayenta trail is also moderate and handsome-- and a convenient hook-up to Emerald Pools. Another quite lovely walk-- and the easiest of all-- is the Pa'rus trail. The part between the museum and the visitor's center isn't especially handsome-- but the part from the museum going to the end of the trail in the opposite direction (towards the lodge) is quite beautiful. By the way, the lodge terrace is a pleasant place to have lunch-- not the cafe, the dining room, but outside. Nice views, good (not great, but fine) food.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Also, if you are coming in from East Zion (or leaving that way) the Canyon Overlook Trail is stunning & is a moderate 2 mile round trip. It is East of the Tunnels.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM

The Canyon Overlook trail is the best of the easy hikes. There's a great "treat" at the end - an incredible panoramic view of the entire valley and surrounding mountains. The only tough part of the hike is the steep climb at the beginning, which you can see from the road. This must deter many people, because you don't see a ton of hikers on the trail.

I've done the Riverside Walk many times. It's worth doing because it's easy, flat, in the shade, and geologically interesting, but it does gets awfully crowded.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 04:19 PM

The Narrows! One of the best hikes we've ever done.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Was pleased to also get a "food" recommendation. Any more suggestions for places to eat?
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Once you are there and can get a general overview, you can do all the hikes in Zion Canyon. Take the bus round trip, get a feel of the park and do the simplest hike to give you an idea of what to expect. I bet you can do several - Emeral Pools would be nice as are all the ones in the Canyon. It's Back Country that would require more expertise -- enjoy! It's my very favorite Nat'l. Park.....
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:09 AM
OO

Bob_Brown...that's terrific. I hope our friends will be finding fault with our "do-able hike" recommendations in another decade! Good job.

I agree with nnrobnz--I doubt there are any hikes that you can't manage and all those we've done have been wonderful and varied. Emerald Pools is easy and short and would certainly be one on my "to do" list.

There was one that shut me down psychologically, although physically I could have handled it--the last segment of Angel's Landing scared the bejeebies out of me. I have a bit of acrophobia and made the mistake of looking down over my shoulder in the first section of chains, and that was it for me. I went back to a clearing and waited for everyone else...but had lots of company in that clearing of others waiting too. I just asked my husband what his favorite hike was, and it was this one. He and our son made it a bit further than I did, but then they too turned back after contemplating the final stretch too long. Even though he didn't complete it, it was his favorite for level of difficulty, length (the longest of the hikes we did), interest (Walter's Wiggles and fabulous views into the valley).

Despite the acrophobia, the Hidden Canyon Trail that Bob_brown mentioned with the "shelf of rock" section wasn't troublesome. The shelf was wide enough that I was very comfortable, and that is one of my favorite hikes.

We've only done the Riverside walk in late November when it's too cold to get into the river at the end. Although the river is pretty and I'm glad we did it, that is probably my least favorite walk. Even then, that late in the year, it was extremely crowded, bus loads of people, lots of kids (and adults) chunking stones into the river and yelling to hear their voices echo in the canyon, and a paved path--not what I'm looking for in a National Park experience.

Our first trip was 2 years ago and we are headed there again this Thanksgiving. I can't wait...have been wanting to get back ever since. I vowed at one point that I would conquer Angel's Landing, but I'm not so sure. I did watch any number of Mormon women head up the last segment--dressed in their long skirts even. Our daughter and s-i-l made it all the way. Another couple arrived at the same time they did, both wearing backpacks. They took them off, pulled out formal clothing...he a tux and she a gown, set up a camera and took what we are sure was to be a picture for their Christmas card that year. Wish I'd had a picture of that!!

Hope your trip will be as wonderful as our first one was, and that like us, it'll only make you want to come back for more.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Angel's Landing has to be the most thrilling hike in any national park. I did it without looking down at the 1200' drops on either side of me. Once we got to the end my bf sat on the edge with his legs dangling over the side...now THAT freaked me out. The worst part though was turning around to go back. I was more conscious of the dropoffs. There were crosses where people fell off. It felt great to survive this hike though, and WOW, what views!
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Eva

The Emerald Pools hike is a wonderful moderate hike. My daughter and I did it starting at 8 a.m. and there was hardly a soul on the trail. When we arrived at the Upper Pools there was a young couple with a baby and that was it. I found it to be so seren and beautiful it will always stand out in my mind.

We also loved the VERY short hike up to the Weeping Wall. It took about 10 minutes but when you get up there you feel like you are in a tropical region. Very cool.

The Angel's Landing hike was incredible--beautiful views of the canyon and a very good workout. We did not do the last section because all I could think about was her witnessing me falling off the side or me witnessing her fall. The fear was paralyzing (we had decided to make the decision to go across when we got up there).

Remembering this vacation really makes me want to go back... Have a great time!
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Note to the poster who said they saw "Mormon" women climbing Angel's Landing in their long skirts: I don't know any Mormon women who would do a hike in skirts. The women you saw were probably polygamists - not Mormons. There is a huge polygamist community on the Utah/Arizona border in a town called Kingman, AZ. I just like to clear up some of the common misconceptions.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM

You guys, Minnie asked for moderate or easier hikes no longer than 3 hours and your telling her about Angels Landing! That's a strenous 4 hour hike!

Minnie, Maybe you should check out the Zion National Park Website link below. It tells the distance, the elevation gain, estimated time and it gives a rating so you can judge for yourself it you think it will be a hike you are interested in doing.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/activities/DayHiking.htm

Utahtea
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

It was so good to get a variety of different opinions. There was some over-lapping as I expected. We'll probably start with the Riverside hike and then the Emerald pools and see how far up we want to go. Weeping Rock and Pa'rus are other possibilities.Think we'll pass on Angel's Landing. Utahtea, I appreciate the link, it provides a good summary.

Thanks to all who responded!