Which town in Wyoming to relocate to?

May 5th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Searchin'

Which town in Wyoming to relocate to?

I'm doing my own homework....but maybe you folks can help: What is the best small town in Wyoming in which to hang one's hat? I would qualify it more, but there aren't that many towns to begin with, so please share your opinion!

May 5th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Sal

Gee, searchin', I think you'll be holding your breath a long time if you expect lots of answers here from people who have actually lived in small towns in Wyoming.
I've driven through several, but I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to live in one.

May 5th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Bob Brown

I think Laramie would be your best bet for a town to start an investigation. It is a university town (home of the University of Wyoming) and Chyenne, which is not large either, is not far away.
The mountains of northern Colorado are not far the other way.
The drawback to any of those Wyoming towns is that winters can be very cold!
The elevation does not help warm it up in January!!
My chief concern would be the relative scarcity of specialized medical treatment. At least from Laramie, Fort Collins and even Denver are reachable.

May 5th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Mike

i grew up in a small town in Wyoming (Torrington) and although i have certain childhood memories of the freedom of wandering along a riverbank and shooting whatever i wanted; they are memories that don't translate well to a civilized society. I found most small towns in wyoming to be very isolated feeling particularly to outsiders. I don't think the incident that made Laramie famous was unique. Two towns i would recommend: Powell or Jackson because they have blended societies. Cheyenne has grown but has not changed in 30 years. Casper is windblown but has a lot of topographical charm to it. Sheridan feels like one huge reststop but it is a great jumping off place for Denver, Billings, Rapid City, etc.

May 5th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Dayle

Hi Searchin!

One key question - are you retiring or do you still need to work? Or, are you one of those extremely fortunate people who can do their work anywhere?

May 6th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Searchin'

Thanks for the thoughtful answers, and even for you, Sal. Some places would prefer that people just drive on through, and that's the sort of place I'd rather live.

I am not retired, but have a job in which I work 2 weeks on/off, so the employment factor is not relevant.

Thanks especially to those of you who gave particulars, and the reasons for your recommendations.

I currently live in Alaska, and spring has yet to hit, so cold winters are not a concern -- as long as their are four discernible seasons.

May 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

Searchin', I am so jealous. If I had my choice of anywhere to live in the country, it would be Jackson, WY. Some of the most beautiful country anywhere with the Tetons right on the edge of town. Great skiing, and small but not too small, as long as you can handle the influx of tourists.

My second choice would be Buffalo. It's a bit bigger and kind of the gateway to the Bighorn Mountains, which are also very beautiful and have great backpacking, etc. I haven't been there in quite a few years, but it felt very comfortable when I was there last.

Good luck with your search!