Reload this Page >

Half day to spend in Salt Lake City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Melissa

I am going to be passing through Salt Lake City on June 30th and only have a few hours to spend in the area. I will be travelling with my 21 year old daughter and 16 year old son. If you only had a few hours to spend what would you see? Any recommendations? Is it worth it to stop at the lake and swim/float? What is the water tempature like at that time of year?
Thank you !

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:31 PM
lucky

I definately would not waste my time to go to the Great Salt Lake. Although at certain times of year it is nice if you are boating..as a general rule it is not worth seeing..You can see all of the lake you need to from the air as you take off. Downtown SLC is only a short cab ride from the airport. If you have a half day, and want to see a few things, I suppose you could take the cab ( 5-7minutes to downtown)...and check out the city...shopping etc.go to Temple Square...find a nice restaurant for lunch...so on and so on..and head back to the airport. Although there is alot to do in the SLC area...a half day will not get you far. but I would not waste my time going to the Great Salt Lake.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:02 PM
laurie

Take the Mormon Missionary tour of Temple Square including the Tabernacle.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:27 PM
The Traveler

Don't waste any time at the Great Salt Lake. You'll end up with sand and salt in your hair and clothes and will be uncomfortable the rest of your trip. I have been to SLC several dozen times and have never done the lake. One has to be really lacking in options to go out there.

The most interesting part of Salt Lake City is downtown and there are many shuttles that go back and forth. Temple Square is visitor friendly - you can do it on your own or join one of the guided groups. Visit some of the places you saw used as background shots during the Olympics.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Lora

Melissa, I disagree with the others about the lake. Although I would recommend seeing Temple Square first, I had a similiar amount of time to spend in SLC and fit both in. It was worth the time, in my opinion, just because of the novelty of swimming in the salt water. Actually, it was the most memorable thing about the area for me. I'm going back for a few days in June and plan to go spend more time at the lake. I'm not sure how someone who's never been there can say it's not worth your time.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Ron McCullough

I know what it is but don't know how to get there. It's the largest copper mine in the U.S. (active) It's south of town maybe 20 miles. The children would really enjoy the Monster machinery, how the mine started and the unbelieveable numbers of Railroad Trains that are down in the mine. One small hint, my wife is 5'-9" and she stood on the Rim of the land hauler with hands over head and still didn't touch the top.

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Dayle

Ron - it's the Kennecott Copper Mine. If flying in, it will normally be on the right side of the plane next to the western mountains, the Oquirrhs.