Which Ski Area in Park City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Park City, Utah for the first time in early March. What ski area is most recommended for beginning skiers in the Park City area? Also, what are the chances of not being able to purchase a lift ticket at Deer Valley, say on a Tuesday or Thursday due to the limit that Deer Valley places on sales? Also, is the Olympic Bobsled run still offering rides to the public? Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi Jett,

Both Deer Valley and Park City have excellent beginners areas and easy, green runs. Both also have outstanding ski schools. I can't say about The Canyons because I don't care for the area and don't ski there.

As long as it's not a holiday weekend, Easter, or Christmas, you should be OK getting tickets to DV. If you are concerned, buy them the afternoon before!

You should contact the Utah Olympic Park and ask re the bobsled rides. Their season starts and ends long before ski season. Usually they are booked up months in advance. Plus, they are very expensive, $200 per person last I checked. Everyone I know who has done it says it's worth every penny - it's a minute you won't ever forget!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

I consider myself an "advanced beginner" skier. I can comfortably do some blue runs - more so here in the east.

My family went to Park City earlier this month. I LOVED Park City - there is a 3.5 mile beginner trail (Home Run) that was great.

Deer Valley has many really nice green runs, too, but I did think the longer green (Success) on the bottom of the mountain would be a bit challenging for a very beginner skier. Up top there are runs like Ontario that were fun.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

I just got back last week. Got very lucky as they haven't had good snow this year until last week. Probably the best conditions I've seen in the past 11 years I've been going there. I would give Deer Valley the edge for beginners for a couple of reasons. It is not typically as crowded as Park City. Even though it was President's day Weekend. The longest line I had to wait in was not much more than a minute, if that. Beginners + Crowds = crashes. You can also replace the above with snowboarders. Nothing against snowboarders, it's just that the majority are young males who ride very aggresively. I did the same when I was younger only on skis. And I'm sure I cut some people off and/or ran over them them. But snowboards are not allowed at Deer Valley. Another reason it's good for beginners is that large percentage of the runs are groomed every night. Park City grooms some, but it's so much bigger that the percentage of groomed runs is smaller.

The main reason I like it is for my kids. Their ski school is the best of the three in my opinion. The oldest of my 5 children have been to all three and agree Deer Valley has the best instructors. However, if you have a 3-4 year old, I would recommend the Canyons. This is because at that age they only get 1 hour of instruction at Deer Valley. So basically it is just really expensive baby sitting. This was my 5 year old's first year to ski. By the third day he was making parallel turns. That is, of course, when he decided to turn. Most of the time he just flew straight down.

I would agree with the previous post that for long "cruising" type runs, Park City is better. Just depends on the crowds. Pre-children I would split my time between the two with an occasional trip to Alta or Park South (which is now the Canyons, and is the hotspot for snowboarding, pulling many of the more aggresive riders away from PC). Just to make my point, my condo is directly accross the street from the town-lift which takes you to the Park City ski area, but I haven't skied PC the past two years. Instead we walk a couple of blocks to catch the bus to Deer Valley. This has everything to do with the children. I do miss Park City but I want the kids to learn, build confidence and be safe and Deer Valley is best place for that.

And Cows is the best place for Ice Cream.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Hey Auburn,

Your kids may have had my tenant for an instructor at DV. He teaches the little ones and is very good with them!

Note, The Canyons has had a few name changes over the years. First it was Park West (a division of Ford, believe it or not!), then it was Wolf Mountain for a couple of years. Then it became The Canyons, owned by the very financially troubled American Ski Corp.

Interestingly enough, it was just announced that Park City's owner, POWDR, bought two of ASC's resorts back east - Killington and can't remember the other! It will be interesting to see what shapes up in the next couple of years.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM

Husband and kids just got back from Park City (I hurt my wrist right before the trip so I stayed home.)

Either place is good for beginners but my husband found deer valley to be a little bit less crowded. Park City is a great place to ski (at either place) because it just never seems to get crowded compared to California resorts.

Just a tip, if you fly into Salt Lake City, stop at a shop run by skiandsee (you can get shop listings on their website, skiandsee.com). There you can purchase lift tickets to Park City or Deer Valley at a discount (with Park City having a greater discount). I have never been turned away from skiing at Park City in the 7 years we have been going and as far as Deer Valley, since you have the lift ticket in hand they can't turn you away. Buying the lifttickets at Skiandsee saved us about $300.

Also if you are worried, get a private lesson when you first get there (about $340), the instructor will take you all over the mountain and point out the runs that you are best suited for.

Have fun and Cows is great icecream.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

No, you will never be turned away at Park City Mtn Resort because they don't limit their daily ticket sales. Deer Valley does and they do "sell out" on holidays. Kind of good because considering what they charge, you don't want to be waiting in a lift line!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great advice! Can't wait to get out there to give it a go! BTW - Where is this Cows Ice Cream?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

Cows is on Main St. We're have a big storm today. I had 5 new inches in my driveway when I left this morning. It's still snowing in the mountains, so they're expecting about2 feet or more!

whohoo!