Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which San Diego hotel w/ toddler

For the end of Sept -
Coronado Island Marriott
Lauberge
Hilton San Diego Resort
Hotel Del
Hilton Torrey Pines
Lodge at Torrey Pines - an extra 100 a night wasted on our little one?

Would like a resort-y relaxing feel, great pool and nice grounds, nice room as will spend time there. Don't mind splurging for something else but haven't found much else open for the end of Sept. Plan to go to the zoo, Sea World etc.

I'm worried about the quality of rooms at the Del. Opinions?

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

ttt for ReneeS
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I have stayed at the Del many times, from growing up to now with my own family, and we have never had an issue with the rooms, or anything else. We have always stayed in the older building, so I cannot comment on the other one. Sometimes the rooms are a bit small, but it is a historic hotel and so it is understandable. There is plenty of room though and we have never felt cramped. Our rooms have been nicely decorated, no worn furnishings/carpet, and we usually try to reserve rooms with at least a partial ocean view. We have enjoyed the restaurants, the beach, the pool and the shops over the years and it is always a place we look forward to going back to. I have not stayed at the other properties you mentioned, so I can't give any opinions on those.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM

We just got back from the Coronado Island Marriott with a 6 and 3 year olds. We loved that resort and thought it was great for the kids. There are 2 pools - one that is more family friendly and a lap pool that is more adult oriented. You can also purchase or rent (not sure which since we didn't do it) pool toys and floaties at the one pool. Our room was pretty big; we didn't feel confined at all with the 4 of us. We drove to the zoo, Sea World and other attractions and found the drive to be pretty easy. We also fell in love with Coronado Island and would stay there again.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Paradise Point is very nice. We used to stay there with our small children. You are kind of on your own island. The rooms are big and roomy and many are on the ground floor, so you have a patio also. They might all come with small frig's also and they used to have a small market on the grounds. Nice pool. We stayed there when it was the Princess, so not sure if it has changed.

We also liked the Coronado Marriott, but I thought the rooms a bit small. Not sure about the Del but everyone here seems to love it, love it.

I would vote no on the Hilton Torrey Pines and the Lodge. You are kind of up the road from the village and isolated in a high priced resort. Can't think of much there to make it child friendly. It strikes me more as an adult place to stay. That is just my opinion.

The Hilton SD resort is also well worth considering. Caters to families with big rooms, most, I believe, have patios or balconies which gives you that extra wiggle room with small kids.

End of Sept you should have lovely weather.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Paradise is sold out! L'Auberge looks so great on the website. Is Del Mar too much of a trek to the zoo etc? I like the Del too - maybe more kid-friendly? I'm looking around too much - read lots of reports on trip Advisor about mold at the San Diego Hilton. Good advice on the Hilton Torrey Pines - I don't want to be too remote (but L-Auberge looks . . .). Thanks.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Friends with 3 kids under 7 just stayed at Hilton san diego mission bay and they really liked it. Their room was 503 and it was really big. Plus hotel has a kiddie pool (1-2 feet) that their little ones loved. The hotel in delmar is great and their is a wonderful park right across the way plus lots of restaurants within walking distance. However you are a trek away from seaworld and the zoo, 25 minutes with no traffic and much more with traffic. Your little one might also like lego land which is in north san diego and nearer to del mar. hope this helps.