Hilton San Diego Resort

Search

Hilton San Diego Resort

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton San Diego Resort

Oops. I just made a reservation at the Hilton San Diego Resort for a week in April and then saw horrible reviews on tripadvisor.com. Has anyone stayed there lately? I hope I didn't make a mistake. I got a pretty good rate, but if the rooms aren't clean and comfy then forget about it. The place looks nice in photos. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

TTT since I posted this pretty late last night.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
hsv

In the first place: I have never stayed there so I felt it would be unfair to contribute to this post. However, I will now that no one has answered this and be it only for bringing this to the top once more.

My impression from driving by (if it interests you) is that it is both adjacent to Mission Bay (which is nice) and the Freeway (which might not appeal that much to you).
In fact, the latter is one reason why I have ruled out staying there for myself. Furthermore, I always associate extensive grounds with a resort. I don't know how this expectation would be met by this hotel as it is so wedged in between the Bay and the Freeway. There also doesn't seem to be much else around the hotel (except for a small nightly lit golf course probably).
I obviuosly cannot comment on the quality of rooms and service.
Should the latter be adequate, I would think go for it provided that you got a good rate (that close to Freeway location at least has the benefit of getting you in a good position to explore other parts of town).
Should the rate be pretty much average, I would suggest at least looking into La Jolla or Coronado for other lodging options. But again, this is only based on an impression I got by passing by.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Stayed at this resort last March. The first few days it was cool [60's] so being by the pool was not enjoyable but the hot tubs were. We especially enjoyed the one tucked away near our room. The highway never bothered us but there are rooms in the tower that overlook the freeway.

The room was great. The microwave, fridge and coffee maker are tucked away in a small closet area. We overlooked a lovely garden area.

The only down side is that there is nothing to walk to except the neighboring park. It is easy to get on and off the freeway from there.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hsv. Convenience was a factor since this is a family vacation. I have last years edition of the AAA Tour Book which gives this hotel a 4 diamond rating, yet tripadvisor.com has very few positive comments and it ends up #64th on their list. Perplexing.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SuzieTrue. Your comments had not yet posted when I posted my last comments. Maybe we will be okay there after all. It seems that San Diego lacks more "upscale" family type hotels. I encountered this my last trip too. We don't have a problem traveling there on business, but the Manchester Hyatt and Wyndham just don't work for us with the family.