Which San Diego hotel?

Search

Which San Diego hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which San Diego hotel?

Please help me decide which hotel to choose for our San Diego trip. The choices are Best Western Island Palms, Hilton Mission Valley, or the Catamaran. We are traveling with 2 adults and 2 kids. These are the only hotels left for the time we are traveling. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM

If you haven't already done so, go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews about each hotel.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I just looked quickly at tripadvisor but didn't read the reviews. The Hilton is the highest ranked but Mission Valley just runs along side 1-8, no atmosphere. I wouldn't want to stay there.

The BW Island Palms is on Shelter Island which is an OK area but I think I would pick the Catamaran because of it's location on Mission Bay. Close to everything including Sea World. I think people have commented on that hotel here on Fodors if you do a search.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Best Western Island palms has been well reviewed here a few times. I found one for you and here it is:

Author: gail
Date: 01/15/2005, 01:50 pm
Might be useful to repost with San Diego in title.

We stayed at Best Western 2 years ago - no complaints. We had what was called a one-bedroom. It had a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds separated from living room by sliding door. Full kitchen (not just m/w and mini-frig), including all dishes and utensils and dishwasher. Private deck overlooking marina - wonderful for a glass of wine watching sunset. Pool area is beautiful. Did not eat at restaurant.

No Residence Inn on island (it is really not an island but a spit of man-made land created from dredging of harbor), but Best Western had similar amenities to the many Residence Inns we have stayed at. Best Western is virtually next door to Humphreys - many have commented here that they liked Humphreys, but have not seen post of anyone who has stayed at both to compare.

Parking was plentiful - especially important when there were concerts at Humphreys (which there are in summer) since they checked each car to make sure parker was guest at hotel.

We found the service and staff to be very nice. Thru no fault of hotel, our room was not ready on day we arrived (person occupying our room had left without paying bill, left their stuff in room, and had to wait 24 hours before they could remove their stuff). We were given a slightly smaller room with rollaway (for one of our kids), certificates for free food in the restaurant/lounge/bar, and they moved our stuff to the correct room at time of our choosing the next day.

No complaints - although Shelter Island is not really near anything, we found it was close enough to everything by car and found roads easy to navigate - we did not get lost even once - a first for our family!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:47 PM

These are three very different kinds of hotels to compare. Hilton is in the middle of Hotel Circle, close to shopping, movies, trolley, Qualcomm Stadium. It is centrally located to zoo, Seaworld, and Old Town. We stay here often, especially when we have business in town or errands to run.

The Island Palms I do not know, but I have stayed on Shelter Island. It is isolated are on a marina with lovely views of downtown. You can take long walks around the island, but you aren't really close to anything except four or five hotels and the marina. And Humphries.

The Catamaran, much more expensive I imagine then the others, is right in the middle of everything. It is on the Bay in the middle of Mission Beach. It is a lovely but expensive hotel. They have a bar that books bands there at night, a great restaurant that serves a great Sunday brunch. It is walking distance to the beach and beach activities. It is, basically, a resort. You can rent bikes, boats, and just about whatever you want. Nice large rooms. Great place for a beach vacation.

Hope this helps. Why these three choices?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. Those 3 hotels were the only ones available for our travel package on the dates we need.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Mgbozarth - Here are a couple of reviews for the Catamaran. I do know that the hotel gets mixed reviews. It is an older hotel-don't know how much older than the BW. What age are your kids? The only reason I was thinking the Catamaran is because the beach is closer. Shelter Island is nice but you have to drive to even the beach. My friends from Arizona always stay on Shelter Island and like it but their kids aren't that big on the beach, they like the pool better. As long as you don't pick Mission Valley, either location will be good.

Author: Ken2000
Date: 11/04/2004, 10:59 pm
The Catamaran Hotel was a hit for our family. Nice beach on the lagoon side. It's in Mission Bay. The zoo, SeaWorld, Del Coronado, Old town, Legoland (for 7 and under)are all fun to visit. Gaslamp district has great restaurants (Croce's). Take one of those cable car tours to get a lay of the land. You can jump off anytime and get back on later. San Diego is my favorite place in California. Enjoy!

Author: 4Janet
Date: 11/05/2004, 01:03 am
You did not say when you were coming to San Diego. If it is soon I also would recommend the Catamaran Hotel. It is on the bay, one block from beach and boardwalk where the kids could go biking, skate boarding, on the beach. Plently of other restaurants around beside the hotel. If its summer I would rent a place in Mission Beach. The kids will love it.