Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Holidy Inn on the Bay or Best Western Island Palm San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a cruise out of San Diego in October, but will be staying four nights in San Diego prior to that (is this long enough to see the major sites?) I am trying to decide between the Holiday in on the Bay, which is right next to the cruise port, or the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island. We will have a car. I can get a rate $10 cheaper per night at the Best Western and there is no fee for parking ($20 parking fee at Holiday Inn). Can anyone give me some insight into which of these properties they would recommend?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM

We stayed at the Best Western 3 years ago. While it is on Shelter Island, which is immediately next to anything you might want to see, it was an easy drive to anywhere and signage was good - we did not get lost.

We had a real one bedroom with real full kitchen plus deck overlooking marina. Pool area was beautiful. There was plenty of parking. Room was attractively furnished, everything worked, staff was pleasant and efficient. We encountered a problem with room availability (not hotel's fault - it was full and people in room that was to be ours refused to leave). Hotel put us in a smaller room for 1 night, comped us some food at the restaurant, and moved all our stuff for us the next day while we were out.

Shelter Island is not really an island but a manmade spit of land right across from airport - but we never heard even one plane. Some explanation about flight paths was given to us. Shelter Island also has walking/biking paths along the roadway.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM

We've haven't stayed at either but I'll second the vote for the Best Western for location if nothing else. You'll get alot of scenery on Shelter Island we have eaten dinner there several times. The San Diego skyline reflecting on the bay and North Island Naval Station is across the bay.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM

Hi TGIF,
You wouldn't by any chance be on the Serenade of the Seas Oct 27? (We are.) Anyway, I have not been to either hotel. We used to live in Southern California. The sites you want to see are all over the San Diego area, so it really doesn't matter too much where you stay. If one property has no parking fee, go for it.

What are you interested in seeing? I like the Wild Animal Park over the zoo, but that's me. La Jolla is a beautiful area, so is Coronado.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone's for your advice. I think we'll go for the Best Western.

Barb Ann - our cruise is on the Carnival Elation (5 Day). Got a good price so thought we would give it a try. Elation gets good reviews for an older ship. Hope you enjoy your cruise!