Which Museums to visit

Search

Which Museums to visit

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Museums to visit

We will be visiting NY for our first time and would like to know what you deem a "not to be missed museum". I know the question is broad, but would like to hear what's out there and what is most highly recommended. If there are other things that are not too touristy and would be a "hidden gem" would like to know that too. Thanks very much.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Neopolitan

Here's a recent, interesting discussion primarily on the smaller lesser known museums of New York:
http://tinyurl.com/rk9g2

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM

For me, the Metropolitan museum tops the list. It is huge, and has such a variety of art that everyone is sure to find a section they like.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM

The Temple of Dendur in the Met is a not be be missed part of that not to be missed museum. Amazing. I loved the collection of Egyptian jewelry too.

-Bill
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
GoTravel

First on your list should be the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is an encyclopedic museum spannning 5000 years.

The other museums in NYC have specific subjects or time periods.

My two other favorite museums are The Frick and The Guggenheim.

For the MMoA, pick two major exhibits. Don't try to see everything or you will sensory overload.

Take one of the free tours.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:30 AM

The American Museum of Natural History
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Guggeheim
The Museum of Modern Art
The Schomburg Collection

Check out the Citysearch website for details on interesting smaller museums. New York has so many of them.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:46 AM

The Metropolitan, as one of world's greatest, certainly tops the list, closely followed by the Museum of Modern Art.
Next, I guess, would be the American Museum of Natural History.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:02 AM

I second the Guggenheim.
The MET is a must see, but can be overwhelming.
The guggenheim is a shorter, more manageable dose of art, with often a more contemporary sampling.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
nkd

One more vote for Metropolitan.
The Frick is nice but very small
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

The Met is one of the 3 great cultural institutions of the world. However, you could easily spend 3 days exploring it - esp if you take some of the gallery talks. go to the web site beforehand to see which few departments you most want to see.

The Ellis Island Immigration Museum is the essence of what makes us New Yorkers - and Americans. It would be a crime to miss it. Also - the ferry you take to get there stops at Liberty Island (I reco just looking - since you can get into the base only and lines are very long).

After that there are dozens - and it depends on your interests - fron the Museumm of Sex to that at the Fashion Institute of Technology to backstage/exhibits at Lincoln Center.

I love:

MOMA
Natural History
Frick
New York Historical Society
New York City Public Library - main branch
Cloisters

New York Magazine and Time Out New York web sites have a lot more info - esp on current shows.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

The Brooklyn Museum of Art is truly a gem and if you happen to be in town on the 1st Saturday of the month, entrance is free and the museum stays open until 11pm. There are lots of extra events, films, music as well. The Museum is easy to access by the 2 or 3 trains; the station is right below and you'll be within walking distance of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park. Afterwards, you can go to the Park Slope area where you can get a great dinner for less than you'd pay in Manhattan.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/first-saturdays
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM

I will always adore the Museum of Natural History. The "Ocean Life" room is amazing- there is a life-size blue whale suspended from the ceiling! As a child, this was incredible to me, and still is as an adult
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM

I love the Frick - sometimes because of the size.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

All excellent suggestions. Ideas are becoming more clear for me. Also, Constantmovement, we will be there the First Saturday of the month, so we will definitely take the Brooklyn museum suggestion. Come to think of it, we'll be there for the Fourth of July. Any place special we should plant ourselves for a spectacular firework viewing. Thanks so much everyone.
Kim (Northern California)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM

nytraveler, are you saying don't disembark the ferry when you get to SOL? We have tickets for this weekend (never been before). But instead, when the ferry stops at SOL, just stay on the boat and continue directly to Ellis Island?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM

Lear33, the ferry stops first at the Statue of Liberty and second at Ellis Island. nytraveler's suggestion to stay on the boat is a very good one- you can still get great photos of SOL from the ferry, but avoid the crowds.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Thanks TarheelsInNj. That's what we'll do.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM

Enjoy! Allow a few extra minutes to spend in Liberty State Park. It's very pretty!
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM

The 4th of July fireworks aren't always in exactly the same location, but typically there are barges in several areas, primarily in the East River. So you can see them from the east side of Manhattan near the FDR drive, and from a lot of the Brooklyn waterfront (the promenade in Brooklyn Heights, Kent Ave in Williamsburg, etc.) and probably Queens waterfront, too. I'm sure Citysearch or even the nyc.gov website will have info as the time gets closer.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Oh and my personal favorite "hidden gem" museum is the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. Especially if you're planning a trip to the Ellis Island (wonderful) museum, follow it up with a trip to the Tenement Museum to see how many NYC immigrants lived. It's only by guided tour, but they do some reenactments and really make the living situation come alive. www.tenement.org