Search

Which luau?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which luau?

OK, here's the thing. I've been to Hawaii twice and have never attended a luau. Decided this would be a good time. I will be on a cruise and have decided Maui is the best location.

Here are my choices:
*Pacific Paradise Luau - excursion through NCL
*Royal Lahaina Luau
*Old Lahaina Luau
*The Feast at Lele

My first thought was OLL until I realized my Entertainment coupon is for RLL.

What are your thoughts? We are two adults so it would cost us about $200 with no discounts.

Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM

This question is asked frequently. You ought to search back to find some good answers. As a matter of fact, it was just discussed, today: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34957638
ALooooooha!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM

We have been to OLL and Feast at Lele. We enjoyed both for different reasons. The OLL feels really "fesive". The show is awesome and pretty thorough. The food is buffet style and is just okay. Feast has great food and the show is good...but it doesn't seem so "showy". If it is your first luau I suggest OLL. But you can't go wrong with either.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

I did see this earlier thread.

However, all four of the luaus are not mentioned. I have never heard of PPL and am interested in the feedback.

Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know Old Lahaina Luau, and all my family enjoyed the food and show, the entire evening, very much.

Feast at Lele was next to our hotel so I saw a glimpse of it, it is more a dinner theater situation, than a traditional luaua set up.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

OLL does not have a fire knife dancer. That is reason enough to choose a different luau.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, we have booked a luau through the ship in Kauai. This way, we don't have to worry about drinking and driving, or parking for that matter.

I will definetly post a review when we return.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:18 PM

sk84fungirl, if the drinks at your luau contain no more liquor than the ones I've consumed at my two luaus, you don't have a thing to worry about (drinking & driving)! I'm convinced they use *liquor flavorings!*
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I just booked my luau through www.mauihawaiiluau.com and decided on the Old Lahaina Luau. After doing a little research, I figured this may be the only time I do this so might as well drop the dough. All of the reviews say it's the most authentic luau. I hear that luaus can be kinda cheesy at the wrong ones. I was tempted by the Kaanapali luau cause of the price, but swayed at the end.

I got my ticket for $89. It's the best I could find. My friends want to go too, but won't pay that price. Is there anywhere they can get the tickets for less to Old Lahaina Luau?
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Old Lahaina Luau -- but don't get "traditional" seating (cushions, low tables, closest to the stage). I was in my mid-20s at the time and the dinner and show is long enough where you feel the (back) pain!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, no discounts for OLL. It's pretty much always sold-out (is my impression).
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM

suze: That's my understanding as well.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I recommend NOT going on the Pacific Paradise Luau. That was the only excursion we did through NCL and while the food was great the entertainment was very phony. Not to mention, it was very overpriced from what I have been hearing from others.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Dusty, sounds like you reallly like the fire knife thing at luaus, which is cool, but basing which luau to go to simply by whether there is a fire dancer or not leaves out a whole lot of other aspects on what makes a good or bad luau eh? Especially for those who want a more authentic luau experience, consider that fire knife dancing is Samoan, not Hawaiian. I love em too, but I never base my luau choice on that one thing. Aloha!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I think Dusty is aware that fire knife dancing is not Hawaiian, as he is a local that lives in Hawaii.

Many of these commercial luaus show a combination of various Polynesian entertainment - not just Hawaiian.

I think Dusty mentioned the fire knife dancer to emphasize the entertainment value of one luau over another.

"Authentic" is not really a term I would use to describe any of the commercial luau options generally available.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM

Chepar,
Agreed with everything you said, good points. I just meant that whether a luau has a fire dancer or not shouldn't be the deciding factor on which luaus to skip or go to.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Feast at Lele is worth the extra cash. Very romantic and more personal. You're served a different dish with each meal. Great Food!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM

We enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau; be sure to book before your trip because they do sell out. We sat at a table; the people sitting on the ground looked pretty uncomfortable to us. The setting is on the water and really nice, good entertainment, and the food was decent.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Has anyone been to the new luau at the Westin

http://www.westinmaui.com/luau.htm

Wailele Polynesian Luau?

One reviewer just raved and raved about it. I'm wondering about Fodorites' opinions?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM

The Feast at Lele... without a doubt IMHO... by far the best of the two luau's we've attended. It may not be considered a traditional luau... but a Polynesian journey through dance and food. It was a fantastic journey for our group!

Why did I like it so much?
1. Sit at a table and be waited on... instead of standing in long buffet line.
2. beautiful setting... ocean is the backdrop... instead of manmade backdrop.
3. great food and beverages... served to you... all you can eat and drink.
4. seating close to performance area... not huge like many others... so we were on the backrow with a great view!

The best test for me... would I do it again? YES!
would I do the other again? NO!