Which Islands are a must see?

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Islands are a must see?

Ok - so I decided to cancel my crusie and just spend the 12 days in Hawaii on our own. Which are the MUST see islands and which can I do without? Any help would be great. Thanks!!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Twink,

I'm sure that you'll get many different answers on this, because everyone has their favorite island. Personally, mine is the Big Island. I would say if this is your first trip to Hawaii, see two islands and really explore them.

Things to consider... Who is going? Family or just a couple. What do you like to do? Are you active? Do you like to hike, golf, kayak, snorkel, scuba etc.? Or are you more into sight-seeing and relaxing. Are you looking for night-life, or more laid back? Do you want to go the luxury resort route, condo? I have been to most of the islands several times, have stayed at resorts, condos and lower price hotels and could give you a dozen different scenarios. Let us know what your likes/dislikes are and what kind of accomodations you're thinking about and I'm sure you'll get a ton of advice.

I think it's smart to ditch the cruise. You'll love staying on the islands!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
bonniebroad

The problem is that every island is a *must see* for somebody here! And for some people, every one is a *must see.*

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Aloha twink,

Good plan to jump ship

I would start by searching and reading old (& recent) threads, trip reports, etc. for info. You may also want to check a few guide books out from the library.

Research, research, research.

Everyone who posts re Hawaii loves each of the isles differently... look at what you like to do and which islands offer what you want... honestly you can't go wrong w/ any of them!

Once you go, plan to be back!

Aloha, and happy planning!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:21 AM

I, too, agree with your decision to back out of the cruise. I would choose two islands since you have the time. I personally like the Maui/Kauai and the Oahu/Big Island combos. Do one this time and go back for the other one next time.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Ok - on this trip it is just myself & my husaband. We are leaving our 2 year old at home with the gradparents. We are definitely not into the night life..ie. drinking, bars, clubs etc. We want to do fun active activities like snorkle, hike, bike, kayak....not so much museums, botanical gardens etc. We don't want to go the condo or the luxury resort route. We would prefer moderate hotel accomodations since we need so many nights and I am assuming we need to fly between islands which can get expensive. Do you know of a company or place that has had good reviews for thier excursions. Also, I have heard you need to see the sun rise but I can't remember where it was recommended that I do that. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Here is a brief overview of each of the major Hawaiian Islands:

Oahu:
Waikiki: crowded, very urban. Lots of shopping, bars, restaurants. A suburb of Honolulu (pop. 800,000). Close to Pearl Harbor, the most visited attraction in Hawaii.
North Shore: the opposite of Waikiki, very beautiful and uncrowded. Huge surf in the winter.

Kauai:
Very beautiful, very quiet (little night life), a nature lover's paradise, perfect for the active outdoorsman (hiking, kayaking, etc)

Maui:
In the middle between Waikiki and Kauai. Far less crowded and urban than Waikiki (largest town population 18,000). More "happening" than Kauai , more nightlife, restaurants, etc. Probably the best beaches in Hawaii. Offers some of everything. Sunrise at top of Mount Haleakala (drive to 10,000 ft summit). The only island from which you can take a ferry to other islands (Molokai or Lanai)

Big Island:
The only island with an active volcano. Very quiet, little night life. A nature lover's paradise. Less green than other islands because it is the newest island and still growing (due to volcanic eruption). Not the best beaches. Little nightlife.

Molokai and Lanai:
Two small islands ten miles off the coast of Maui. Very quiet and more like the Hawaii of old. Perfect to get away from it all.

For more detailed information check these web sites:

Island Overview (select an island on the left and then select "island overview")
http://www.theinsider.com/Aloha/Index.htm

Choosing Your island Paradise
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ken/My%20Documents/Hawaii/Island%20Comparison%20and%20Overview/Island%20Comparison%20ch_article.html

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Way to go, Rusty! What a great overview. For the reasons you mentioned, I think Maui is a great Hawaii first-timers destination. Which two islands do you think complement each other well for a fairly well-rounded first trip? By the way, I thought the "Get your nails filled" response to the last day on Kauai post was hilarious...
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I gave a bad link above. It should read:

Choosing Your Island Paradise:
http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.ht...t=A10712183552

Doesn't EVERYBODY get their nails filled while in Hawaii?

I suggest that a first timer pick either Oahu or Maui, and any one other island, excluding Molokai and Lanai which are too "risky" for firts timers.

Another good option is Oahu AND Maui.