Which island for Scuba and Nature?

Jan 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Which island for Scuba and Nature?

(I meant to post this to the Hawaii board, but I think I accidentally posted to the US board. So, I'm re-posting here...)

My husband and I will be visiting Hawaii April 21-May 2 and we're trying to decide which island(s) to visit and where to stay. We are both certified scuba divers and we've visited quite a few Caribbean islands, but this is our first Hawaii trip.

Here is what we're looking for in an island: non-touristy and not overly crowded, good diving (the Manta Ray dive on the Big Island sounds really cool and we'd like to see lots of marine life, not just pretty coral), good hiking with waterfalls and volcanoes. We do not need or want nightlife, "see and be seen" type beaches, or lots of chain restaurants and hotels.

Recommendations for accomodations would also be greatly appreciated. Here is what we like:
Off the beaten path quaint places where we can have contact with locals and experience life on the island. We don't need a lot of luxury as long as the place is comfortable and clean. We plan to rent a car, so it need not be in the center of everything. We'd prefer to keep the lodging relatively inexpensive since we don't plan to spend a lot of time there and diving is expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice!
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Napili or Kapalua would be nice. These are in Maui. This is a quiet location, yet you are only a few minutes to everything. You may want to look at Napili Sunset. www.napilisunset.com
These are older condos but they are nicely kept and have a good return visitor rate. Kapalua is right up the road and is a prestine, lovely place.
I would highly suggest a luau. Old Lahaina luau is great. There are numerous dive excursion boats on Maui.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We've thought about Maui, but we were a little concerned that it might be too crowded and touristy. I'll check out the place you mentioned.

We're actually flying into Oahu- should we even bother spending time there or just fly immediately to another island? And, we'll be there for 11 nights- should we plan on just one island or try for two?
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM

There is only one U.S. board. It includes all the states. When you put a message in "Hawaii", the only purpose is if someone uses the search function.

Spend at least 1/2 the time on Oahu. There is much more to see & do on Oahu than any other island. Outside of Honolulu, Oahu is much like any other island.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM

RatherBeDiving:
Taking into account your stated preferences for "SCUBA, hiking, waterfalls, volcanoes", you've pretty much described what attracts folks to the island of Hawai`i.

The only part of that island that I find to be "touristy" is Kailua-Kona -- the rest of it is wonderfully real Hawai`i.

The Hawai`i Visitors and Convention Bureau website has info about the island:
http://www.gohawaii.com/bigisland/

And this site has listings of accommodations (by type, and by island), restaurants, excursions, etc.:
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:35 AM

If you find yourself on the BI (which I highly recommend!), be sure to check out Jack's Diving Locker. My husband has been diving with them for years and always has a great time. They have six pack boats, as well as boats that accommodate 10-12 people. Good night dives too.

www.jacksdivinglocker.com/

There are loads of condos in the area, some within walking distance from Jack's if that appeals to you.
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM

No question, Big Island. Maui is definitely crowded. I would only spend one day on Oahu and that only if you want to see the memorial.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM

My wife and I have very similar tastes. We were also looking for an island that provides the best combination of hiking, scuba diving, seclusion and overall beauty. Our research led us to either the Big Island or Kauai. It seemed like the Big Island's (Kona) diving has a bit better of a reputation than Kauai, but Kauai seemed to win on the hiking and overall beauty (though I don't believe there are any active volcanoes on Kauai). Thus, we chose Kauai for this trip. Also, if you go in the summer time, there are supposedly great dive trips from Kauai to Ni'ihau - which has a great reputation. You probably can't go wrong with either.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM

We have been to all the 4 major islands, and for what you are looking for, I would definitely point you to the Big Island. Pick up a copy of the "Big Island Revealed"...it should help with specific recommendations.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM

On Big Island check out Art &Orchids B&B. It's near Hilo on the volcano side of the island. (You'll probably want to split your stay between the two sides of the island to reduce the driving). This B&b is arty and inexpensive with great breakfasts with fruit/coffee/eggs/cheese etc grown/ made by the owners. Check out the website www.artandorchids.com
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I think we've decided on the island of Hawaii. Kaui also sounds very appealing, but we'd really like to see an active volcano. We'll have to save Kaui and the others for another trip.