Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which is the best place to move: Houston, Los Angeles, or Miami?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a twenty-something male who's interested in a change of scenery. I've lived in NC's Triad all of my life and I'm ready for something different. I've been considering a move to Miami, Houston, or Los Angeles.

Fodorites could you tell me the following info:

I'm asthmatic, which of these three cities has the best/worst air?

Are Houston and Los Angeles drivers worst than Atlanta (I've been to Miami, Atlanta is worse)?

Which city has the most racial diversity? The most interracial relationships?

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM

This post has all the classic smells of a troll post. And jerrysimpson has only one other post to his credit.
But just for the sake of discussion, Houston is consistently rated at the the top of the list of cities with poorest air quality in the USA. Houston has averaged 40-60 unhealthful air quality days per year for quite some time (orange or red alert days).
Miami averages 2-6 days per year and LA between 20-40 (down from 150+ in the early 1990's).
The racial questions are probably bait.
The cities which attracted the most foreign immigrants in the 90's were NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Chicago, DC, Houston in that order. More African Americans moved into Miami than the other 2 in the 90's, with LA last of the 3. LA attracted far more Asians than the other 2. LA drew 3 times more Hispanics than the other 2 in the 90's.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Los Angeles, where you could live in any number of beach communities.

Unless you really love humidity and heat, I wouldn't chose either Houston or Miami.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Houston is an absolute dump. Period.

LA is one of the most (if not THE most) diverse metropolitan areas in the country.
While the air quality is no walk in the park, it is certainly 500% better than it was when I was a kid, and you have the option of living at the beach with winds coming off the ocean (unless there is a Santa Ana).
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Dan

I would expect someone who wants serious relocation info to inquire about housing, job opportunities, etc. Interracial relationships and asthma? Sorry, but I can't say homersimpson's post is legit.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM

I get the asthma, but not the interracial relationships. Who would know that anyway? And what is interracial? What is race? How do you count someone with a mulitiplicity of backgounds? A very odd question!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I am not a troll. I am a 24 year old african american male. I like dating women of different racial groups, and I was wandering which city would be the best for this sort of thing. Futhermore, I do have asthma and my post is legitimate.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Travelies,

Houston did outdo LA for a couple of years as the Smog Capital of the United States, but in 2003 LA proudly reclaimed the lead. The prognosis for LA is worsening smog.

In fact Houston fell to, I think 4th place behind LA, Fresno, and Bakersfield.

What a proud title.

I also agree with another poster that Houston is a dump. Your choice of cities is not the best.

Curious
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM

As a biracial person, I can understand wanting to know about interracial relationships in a particular area. It is a good indicator of the type of the tolerance level in a community. Another indicator of tolerance that I use is how big and how accepted the gay population is in a particular place or city. I know that everyone has prejudices and no place is perfect, but at least you can wrap your head around those aspects. I was also grew up in SF (if you couldn't figure that out from my comment!) so I'm acutely aware of these issues in almost every city I visit in the U.S.

I personally wouldn't want to live somewhere where the interracial relationships are out of the norm and approached with hesitance.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM

I think his wondering about interracial relationships is an absolutely valid post.

And as you read this there are others looking at my previous posts to deem whether or not i'm legite.

Having spent time in Houston, though having a 'healthy' mix of black, mexican, and white populations, I felt it was rather segregated.

Although being a whiteboy, myself, I have dated interracially OFTEN in the past and have had a few interesting 'experiences' in my travels.

Go to LA, my friend or stick to the coasts.

jerrysimpson,
although this site is great for generic travel info and SOME local insight, it is a travel site and the demographics are - let's say - at the risk of being flamed - skewed towards the over 50+ white upper middle class crowd and interracial relationships to them are having a black family living on the same block.

Ok people, save your "I'm no... 'blah blah blah' posts".

There's a great travel/culture board at lonelyplanet.com called the thorn tree that might help.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM

About the air quality issue, you need to understand this. L.A. is a basin, and you will find smog covering the whole area at certain times of the year.

That doesn't happen here in Houston. The air quality is poor because of the promixity of refineries and industries - but those are all in the eastern part of the city. If you live in the western part of the city - like most people do, you will not find the air quality any worse than most large cities in the US.

In fact, I've lived in Washington DC, and even Rhode Island, and even those places have significant numbers of ozone action days in the summer, particularly DC. Houston doesn't seem particularly worse.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Malvado: no need to expect flames for implying that this board is prone to white middle/upper class biases. Because I think that's the case. People who are so interested in travelling that they find their way to this board are going to be older and more affluent ON AVERAGE than people you'll find at an internet games site or such. Heck, people who use a computer at work in the first place are going to be more affluent than the average American. Internet users are on average younger and wealthier than non-internet users.
Fodor's readers (books and web) are most definitely not representative of the average American.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Interesting thread-- touchy issues!

RE: Smog in LA Basin. Air quality is much better than 20 years ago. It's bettern than even 10 years ago. But face it: In the summer, millions of cars on the road add up to occasional smoggy days. If you live inland in the LA basin, you'll get it bad. You have to either stay right on the coast or head into the desert. Beach communities are expensive, but the air is cleaner. But I have to say, having spent time in Houston, the smog doesn't feel as unpleasant in LA as it does there (the petrochemical plant smell is nasty).

Miami doesn't have a real smog problem. Extremely muggy weather in summer-- but if you live in NC, I think you should be used to that. And in Houston you get it too. The dry air in southern CA will be quite a novelty for you. But, given the relatively "dirty" air, you need to come out here (in summer) and see if your asthma is exacerbated.

Now, the touchier subject: Race relations. Without making judgments, I'd say that you would feel most comfortable walking around as a "mixed" couple in LA, a very diverse city-- well, you would be pretty comfortable anywhere in coastal California. It's pretty common where I live (Long Beach), in fact. No one really blinks an eye. In Miami, you'd probably be most comfortable in South Beach. Other areas are a little more (de facto) segregated. Houston? Well, probably a bit less comfortable, except in young people-oriented areas. But then again, I doubt anyone in this day and age would make a stink about it in a big, cosmopolitan city.

Now, maybe you should think about San Diego. Great city to be young and single, beautiful weather, cleaner air than LA, racially diverse.... Maybe Seattle? Very different from all the other cities, very clean air, ethnically diverse as well, neat culture.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:16 PM
gc

Since I was the first to doubt, I'll stand corrected, Jerry.

Pertaining to your questions...

We recently moved to Vermont, and have found the culture very open...Though the place is 95% white, people care about whom you are, not what (straight, gay, black, white, rich, poor) you are.

BUT, there's nary a palm tree in sight.

I'd write off Houston. Its only redeeming feature is good barbeque.

I'd suggest Miami. Trade winds, palm trees, and as big a melting pot as you could want.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM

As a white woman married to a chicano man, I can definitely see why a person would be interested in the number of interracial marriages in an area. Living in California, this has never been an issue for us. As I understand it though, this would be a big issue in some areas of the country.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Well assuming this is a legit post I'm not sure why anyone would pick Miami, Houston or Los Angeles. And if you're looking for the city with the most racial diversity New York wins hands down. If you're looking for a large city where inerracial relationships are not looked on askance I would also go for New York - or San Francisco. Also, both of those cities easily solve the best/worst drivers query - you just live cener city and don;t even own a car.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:22 PM

I would move to Mad River Valley, VT.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:01 PM

I'd say California all the way, too many Shrubs in Texas and Florida!
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:57 AM

have you considered Hawaii? Maybe Big Island or Kauai. I find "inter racial" to be a non issue...most all are "Hapa" and the air is virtually perfumed. Asthma is an issue on 4th of July and New Years is you don'y have air conditioning...but if you reside in the higher elevations the humidity is rarely a problem.....
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM

I live in Houston, and some might consider me to be in a sort of interracial relationship -- I'm SE Asian but my spouse is Indian. I have Asian friends who are married to Caucasians. IMO Houston is as racially diverse as LA and Miami: we have lots of Mexicans, our neighbors across the border, we have 2 Chinatowns, and there are lots of Soul food, Caribbean, and African restaurants & groceries around town.
I agree with rkkwan about the air quality. I live in the suburbs south of the city (which is on the way to the gulf of mexico), and the air quality is great.
As to drivers, well yes Houston is a big city with its fair share of bad drivers, esp. on the major highways. People are addicted to their cars -- can't blame them, it's too hot & humid to really walk much. But I wouldn't say it's worse than LA. Can't speak to Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -