Notices

Which is better Carolina to vacation in?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Richard

Which is better Carolina to vacation in?

Message: Is South Carolina or North Carolina better to vacation in? Consider: prices, cleanliness, roads, sights, variety, etc.

Looking to vacation this winter (during holidays) with 2 kids.

Thanks!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Mike Honeycutt

Both states offer lots of variety.

More information is needed -

What does everyone like to do?
How old are the kids?
What is your price range?

Mike Honeycutt

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:44 PM
nn

You can see both. They are right next to each ot

In Charleston, SC you can go to a plantation and the audobon swamp (lots of gators).

However, in North Carolina you can go to Mt. Airy and see all of the Andy Griffith stuff. You could also go to Charlotte which has a few good museums.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Nancy

I love NC. The mountains are GREAT. Ashville is a great town, and the Biltmore estate is a must-see. Depends on the age of the kids though. The beaches are great- even in November. Not warm, by any means, but clean and endless. SC is toooooo commercialized.
Good Luck!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Gretchen

Depends on what you want. NC mountains are lovely--Asheville has Biltmore House for the holidays.
Wilmington is a delightful coast town with some historical interests as well as the beach.
Charlotte is a good place for museums and a football game on Panthers home game week-ends.
SC is wonderful along the beach--Charleston is a gem. SC is commercialized at Myrtle Beach but the kids would LOVE it. A bit south of MB is Litchfield,Garden City areas. VEry nice.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:55 AM
dan woodlief

I live in NC, but I will try to give you an objective opinion. My favorite place in both (variety, beauty, interesting and fun things to do) is probably Charleston, SC, but it really does depend on what you want to do. NC has more variety on the whole, and the mountains are truly beautiful. The NC Outer Banks are nice to visit any time of year, but of course the beach itself is somewhat less of an attraction in the cold. I haven't traveled enough in SC to comment on the road comparison, but NC has a pretty good highway system to most locations (a little slower to the Outer Banks). I actually prefer Virginia (even more variety) as a destination in this part of the country because I love history, and it has beaches and mountains to boot, but NC is fairly similar in many regards.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

This is a stupid question as they are both beautiful places. Do a little more research (Mountains or beach? Activities?) and then come back and ask us.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Duh

I can't believe you want to compare the cleanliness and variety of the state? Hmmn. Lets see, can someone tell me how clean THE ENTIRE STATE of North Carolina is?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Sing it Sistah!

Dick: All I know is that nothin' could be finah than to be in Carolina in the moooornin'

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Wendy

Hmnn. Could anyone tell me which state has more frogs?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:20 AM
ncgrrl

What do you want to do on the vacation? If you want to ski, NC is the place. I don't think there are ski operations in SC. Both have mountains, piedmont, coastal plains and ocean.

For prices, it depends on where you are going. Charlotte on a race weekend is more expensive than a non-race weekend.

Both states have beauty and clutter. For some reason people like to litter along our roads.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:55 PM
SC native

You can easily do both Carolinas. I have lived in SC my whole life and have explored both Carolinas--practically lived at the beach during the summers.

Both Carolinas are great states. You'll see some trashy areas, but you'll see that everywhere. The people here and friendly and caring (except maybe on the road).

I think your best bet is to not pick between the 2 but visit both. Start in the Asheville, NC area and see Biltmore, Chimney Rock, the mountains, etc. After that, if you want to do some urban stuff, go to Charlotte or Columbia. See the Panthers or the USC Gamecocks as either would be thrilling football games. Also, museums, parks, etc.

If I were you, I'd spend the majority of my time at the beach. My suggestion: Rent a house in Litchfield, Pawley's Island, or Debordieu SC. Its about 45mins-1hr from Myrtle Beach, and also about 1hr-1:15 from Charleston. This area is very upscale and has GREAT beaches, family atmosphere, etc.

Have fun in the Carolinas! I'm sure you'll love them.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Joy in Virginia

Personally I think no trip to the Carolinas is complete without a stop at South of the Border (just south of the S-N Carolina border on I-95). Stop in and tell Pedro that Joy in Virginia sent you! Be sure to pose for photos in front of the fiberglas shark. Pick up some tacky souvenirs too!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:27 PM
skidoo

No, Wendy, I cannot tell you which state has more frogs. Do you have a real need? Maybe we can help you--even--well just you never mind.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:28 AM
metoo

I was thinking of taking a vacation in either North America or Europe. Can anyone tell me which is better? I'm particularly interested in which country hs the most street sweepers, as we are fanatics about clean raods.

What a knucklehead question.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:00 AM
chuck

metoo,

I have to disagree with your attack on Richard. For someone not familiar with either North or South Carolina, it seems fair to me to ask about the differences. If the answer is that the two states are fairly similar, that doesn't make the question stupid.

I guess the many folks who ask which Hawaiian island is better are committing the same sin as Richard.