Notices

Kauai with young kids

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:33 PM
kara

Kauai with young kids

We are joining my husband on a conference at the Hyatt in Kauai for 8 days. Any sugestions on activites for the kids. Camp Hyatt starts at age 5 and since my kids are 3 & 5 , does not really help too much.
Any good child friendly resturants? How is the pool at the Hyatt? Thanks

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:11 PM
christina

Kauai isn't really a kid oriented place. They aren't old enough to do a lot of outdoorsy things like snorkling, hiking, horseback riding, or deep sea fishing.

Are other people from the conference
bringing there young children?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Sue

Hi there-you will love the hyatt and the pool is extraordinary!It has multi levels with a constant slow current. It tiers down the hillside twisting and turning so that every little grotto and waterfall seem like a whole new pool. I must say it is probably one of the nicest fantasy styled pools I have ever seen in my travels and it has set a standard for me as far as what I look for in a resort pool. There is also a man made salt water lagoon/pool which was nice for swimming and kayaking, but the sand is simulated, therefore hard to sit on, walk on etc.. We had my little boy who was 1 and my daughter who was 3 at the time we stayed there. Although there wasn't much in the way of activity just for kids in Kauai, they enjoyed the pool every day. If you have a car, check out Lydgate park which is about a 1/2 hour drive from the Hyatt(past Lihue on the coconut coast) It is a great beachfront park with an endless wooden play system.(Pack a lunch)The Hyatt has a pool area deli where you can get fries, hotdogs, salads, icecream, etc.. for the kids but restaurants were tricky, many are upscale in the area. Check out Keokis at Poipu shopping village, it has kitchy atmosphere but my kids loved it. We checked out the camp Hyatt and it seemed lame, the instructors basically spent 1/2 the time in the pool area not really watching the kids closely as they swam. You will enjoy yourselves for sure, Aloha

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:36 PM
RAE

Try a Bubba's Burger. There are several locations around Kauai. They do make really good burgers.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Iza

In addition to Lydgate Park, check out Poipu beach - the area to the left was safe for kids. We also liked Salt Pond beach (about 1/2 hour from Hyatt going west). It had a great natural kids' pool (protected by a rock ledge) where we saw little ones enjoying themselves.
The pool at the Hyatt will be great for the kids but the beach there is not a swimming beach.
Keoki's is a good suggestion for child friendly places. Brennecke's Beach Broiler would also be good to go to.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:53 AM
kal

Kara, did I miss the month you'll be on Kauai?
Just wondering because a lot of my friends who have kids have gone to Kauai only to be rained out for a few straight days.

They tell me there's nothing closer to a hell on earth than kids in a hotel room on Kauai during consecutive rainy days!
Maybe a "rainy day schedule" suggestions from people w/ kids?

Kauai Museum, Movies, Library, Kukui Grove Mall, Borders...?
Mrs Kal and I just find a nice bar, restaurant, etc and "talk story" ;-D
kal