Notices

Ferry to Manhattan from Jersey

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 08:01 AM
linda

Ferry to Manhattan from Jersey

Need help to find best place to catch the ferry to Manhattan from New Jersy ( I am driving from Baltimore). Would like info on parkingfacilities. Will spend most of my time in mid-town. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:25 AM
xxxxx

There is a ferry from Weehawken that has a large lot. I believe it is Port Imperiale.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:30 AM
ALF

You can take ferries from Weehawken, NJ, to midtown or downtown Manhattan. There are a number of other ferries as well - here is a web site for all ferries connecting to Manhattan:
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/htm.../ferintro.html

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Owen O'Neill

There may also be ferry service from Newport-Pavonia (Jersey City) but the Port Imperial Weehawken location is the easiest to reach from the Turnpike and has abundanty reasonably priced long term parking at the ferry terminal. Take NJ Turnpike north and exit 16E, following signs for Lincoln Tunnel. You will be on Rte 3/rte 495 heading up a long hill after getting off the Trunpike. get in the right hand lane as you head up the hill and take exit at crest of hill marked "Hoboken/Weehawken/NY ferries" (can't miss it). You will head down a hill and when you get to 'T" at second light, turn right as though heading for the back entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel. A few yards later you'll see signs directing you to take a left to turn for Port Imperial. It's just a few hundred yards down and easy to reach.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Ruth

We are going up to NYC next month and were thinking of taking the ferry from NJ but are unsure as to the safety of our car overnight in the lot. Anyone had any experiences good or bad? It would be a more pleasant way in and out of the city than the Holland Tunnel.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Owen O'Neill

To the best of my knowledge the lots are quite safe. The are well lit and not readily accesible by foor from anyplace except Edgewater, which is a very upscale community. Additionally, the road that goes by the parking lot is well traveled and policed. I have never read hear or heard elsewhere of problems.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:45 AM
Linda

Many thanks for all of your responses - Ruth, Owen, Alf, and XXXXX...when I get to the Big Apple, where does the ferry let me off? Appreciate any assistance once again - hubby and I want to spend a nite there and catch a play, enjoy the sights...Thanks

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:21 AM
Owen O'Neill

I believe there are a couple different ferry docks depending on which ferry you take. Take the one that goes to 38th Street. It will let you out by the West Side Highway - NY Waterways offers free shuttle buses that take you across town to midtown. they also have buses coming back but check schedule carefully - the ferries don't run all night!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:12 AM
xxx

New Jersey. Yuck.