Search

Which Hawian Island

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Hawian Island

Have friends celebrating 50th wedding anniversary. They are very active couple who wish to celebrate anniversary with family. Group of 15 with age range between 8 and 76. Looking for an island where everyone can be active--kayaking, swimming, tennis, canoing, hiking. Wish to rent condo(s) for 2 weeks. Any advice on where to go? where to rent. My friends is computer challenged to I'm helping her until she is ready to sign in herself.

thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Hi Jackie,

What's the general price range? What time of year? Beachfront? Are tennis courts a deal breaker? Have any of them been to the islands before?

I think any of the major 4 islands would give them what they want as far as activities, so it might be a matter of finding a place with availability that meets their requirements of price, location, and amenities.

To narrow things down a bit, start looking at Maui. The major resort areas that feature a range of condos are Kapalua, Napili, Kahana, Kaanapali, Kihei, Wailea and Makena.

On Oahu, what sprang to mind was the condos at the Turtle Bay Resort.

-Bill

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Oahu. The teens will espeically enjoy being there.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Just type in "Which island" and you might pull up a few threads to help you along.....

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34816826

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34822993

Oahu has the big city, but also has beautiful country, breathtaking ocean panoramas, museums, history, culture, shopping, dining, hiking. something for everyone....with a group that big, it may not be possible for everyone to be together for all activities. On an island like Oahu, you can really have it all. OK, now look for dusty's famous list to help you with all the rest.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

For a family with that big age range your friend would probably get the best for all on Maui. There's enough to see and do for the younger group and enough relaxation for the older group. A great location and condo complex:

Wailea Elua Village

Great beach and snorkleing right there. Ulua Beach is terrifc. Wailea has some shopping and dining choices that are among the best on the island. You can make a trip to Kaanapali to snorkel at black rock. Take advantage of the free parking at teh Sheraton. As you are looking at teh back of the hotle it is on the far left near the walk between the hotels.

Pick up a copy of Maui Revealed. It's a great guide book. Don't ever follow their advise about tresspassing though. That's never going to be good even if they say it will be ok.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Everything you want is on Oahu:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...aii/index.html

Also:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.bigisland.org Free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com Free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
trippinkpj

I'm with Suzie, and suggest starting with Maui to check out. Yes, get the Maui revealed book, and check out the Visit Maui website. Bill's suggestions are good also about both Maui locations and the Turtle Bay condo's on Oahu.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Have they, or most of them been to Hawaii before? Actually, even if they have been there, I would say Oahu for sure with a group that diverse. Oahu has something for everyone without a doubt.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Neopolitan

Bush wants equal time? Only fair. If there's fiction on one network, there should be fiction on another.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM

What are the ages of all the kids?

We had good luck with condo rental on Maui in Kihei and Kaanapali, and the B.I.(Kona, White Sands Village), and Waikoloa(different locations).. but true that Oahu offers hiking and activity besides sunbathing and shopping..

actually, all the islands offer worthwhile and interesting things to do. The mule ride down the bluff in Molokai is actually an adventure in itself.. Kauai has it's loyal fans and the scenery is amazing..

good luck and let us know what *they* decide.. J.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses.

I was in Delphi, Greece when I submitted this question for a woman I met on the tour. We got to talking about travel planning. I started raving about this site and the helpful responses I have received from everyone. I wanted to introduce her to the site. Unfortunately, we did not have time to check back-in before the tour ended. I returned from Greece yesterday and they will not be back for at least a week. I will forward your responses to her and and hopefully she will check back-in to provide more info.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family (9 adults) did this for my parents 50th. We stayed in Lahaina on Maui (Lahaina Shores condo/hotel). Our trip was just one week. We did lots of touring, the Old Lahaina Luau, U'lalena at Myth and Magic, drove up to Haleakala, lots of great breakfasts and dinners together, like that.