Ohau or Maui and where for 3 generations

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohau or Maui and where for 3 generations

I'm planning a family trip for 8 (from 3mos old- 60 + year old- one of whom does not get around easily) in early Feb'08. I've narrowed by islands down to Ohau and Maui. I would like to rent a home or condo by the ocean but want to be able would like a place with pool and beach access and walking distance from restaurants, etc. (should we decide to go out for meals).

We'll probably stay 5-6 days- half of the time relaxing and half the time doing some sight seeing. My initial thoughts were that Oahu offers a lot of variety in things to do (Pearl Harbor, volcanoes, Poly Cult. Center, etc) but I know Maui has a lot to offer as well and might be more relaxing.

Any input on which island given the time of year (winter-rainy season), ages, and interests would be greatly appreciated. Further, suggestions on where to stay on the island are welcomed.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM

"My initial thoughts were that Oahu offers a lot of variety in things to do (Pearl Harbor, volcanoes, Poly Cult. Center, etc"

The only island that has an active volcano is Big Island.

All of the islands have craters.

Oahu has several craters including Diamond Head & Punchbowl.

Maui has Haleakala which is huge compared to anything on Oahu.

You can't go wrong with either island.

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure - There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.mauihawaii.org

Get the free brochures & decide which island is best for you.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We recently returned from a multi-generation family trip to Maui. Ten people, with age range from 5 to 73.
We rented 4 condos and 3 cars so people could group up for whatever they wanted to do each day. Having been to Maui several times, I was content to hang around the condo, beach, and pool a great deal of the time. For some, it was their first trip to Maui. Adventures included rides to Hana, exploring Lahaina, and lots of boogie boarding and playing in the sand. You will have more space in a condo. It's nice to have a kitchen. We don't really cook much, but like to keep pop, beer, cereal, sandwich stuff, and snacks on hand. I also like having a washer and dryer in the unit..particularly with kids along. Our preference is the South Kihei area of Maui. Great beaches and plenty of shops and restaurants in all price ranges. Three complexes I recommend are Royal Mauian, Kamaole Nalu, and Hale Pau Hana. These are neighboring properties between Kamaole I and Kamaole II beaches. Just a few short steps to the beach, nice lawn areas overlooking the ocean, and walking distance to 8-10 cafes and restaurants across the road. Pools are small, but refreshing. It was one of our best vacations ever!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family did something similar... We went to Maui and stayed in Lahaina (at Lahaina Shores hotel/condo). It has pool and beach access and walking distance from restaurants. For a day trip we went up the crater of Haleakala together. Other times people split up and did different things in smaller groups or own their own. It was perfect for us.

I also love Waikiki on Oahu and have vacationed there myself several times. It is more of an urban experience, so not what everyone thinks of first when they think of Hawaii. btw, there are no volcanoes to see on Oahu.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM

suze: Diamond Head??
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM

dusty is correct, Diamond Head and Punchbowl are dormant (retired) volcanos on Oahu. Both Oahu and Maui offer a lot; as for time of year, maybe you'd want to come during whale watching season (November - May).
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Diamondhead is a crater not an active volcano, right?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM

No, not active. but technically(?) it is a volcano...volcanic cone to be exact. and dormant.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM

oops, i was wrong. when people want to see a volcano, i think of an active one... lava and all that
;-)
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM

All of the craters on Oahu (Diamond Head, Punchbowl, Hanauma Bay, Koko Crater) are extinct volcanoes.

Haleakala on Maui is a dormant volcano. It is the only dormant volcano in Hawaii other than those on the Big Island.

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/vwless...ith/part6.html

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM

EXTINCT!! That's the word I meant to use. I was never good at geology.

Yes, suze, like people, volcanos come in all shapes, sizes, forms, etc. and some spew lava while others just sit around and do nothing. (Hmmm, was I talking about some offices, or.......?) ha ha
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM

sure Melissa, i'm with you & that makes perfect sense.

And from what i've seen (diamondhead and haleakala only so far) even a used-to-be-an-active-volcano are very dramatic to visit or view.

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. It seems as though there are more condo/house option in Maui. However, when looking at flights, Oahu seems easier to get to you (less connections).

If we choose to do Oahu, does anyone have suggestions on a homes/condo to stay in Oahu- something oceanside (or near) but also that has some amenities and is near some restaurants.

Keep in mind we'll be there in Feb.

Thanks.