Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui and Honolulu: Best Places to stay? Must see things? Quirky places to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our plans have changed and we are now traveling through Hawaii on our own (not a cruise).
1) Looking for a centrally located luxury hotel in Maui that has a private beach and is an easy drive to other sites.
2) Must see things to do in Maui and Honolulu (nothing more than snorkeling for beginners and light-moderate hiking).
3) Quirky places to shop and eat in Maui and Honolulu
4) Easy day trips to other islands from Maui and Honolulu?
5) Advice: we want to do the road to Hana but I do not think we can do the full 12 hour drive. What should we not miss on the way?
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 01:16 PM

There are two areas on Maui that have upscale hotels and of the two (Kaanapali and Wailea), Waikea’s are “more upscale”. Very picky friends have stayed at the Fairmont and loved it, including the restaurants. The Four Seasons is also beautiful. Technically, the beaches are not private (access to all beaches in Hawaii is public) but we’re not talking Jones Beach here. For a more modern vibe, the Andaz is really nice, with a wonderful pool.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Day trips to other islands are not really practical. The only way to get to the other islands is to fly.

On Maui, I prefer the Wailea area - some lovely hotels and lots of nearby restaurants,

In Honolulu, I like to stay right on Waikiki Beach. Take a look at the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian, my two favorites on Waikiki.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 03:17 PM

on Oahu, visit the Sacred Falls is the route is now open. The botanical garden is beautiful, and do visit the Bishop Museum.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure if "quirky" is the right word but on Maui in Lahaina the show Ulalena is very cool: https://www.mauitheatre.com/

And in Honolulu Iolani Palace and the Doris Duke ShangriLa estate are both worth a visit: Doris Duke's Shangri La | Center for Islamic Arts and Cultures https://www.iolanipalace.org/
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 11:29 AM

You can day trip to Lanai from Maui. There's ferry service from Lahaina. We've done that before and rented a jeep to tour the island.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 06:18 AM

Day One in Hawaii is usually largely adjusting to the time change -- coming from the east you would rise before dawn and fade by dessert. Each transit between islands will take 4 - 5 hours, door to door, mostly on boring highways and in airports. There is only ferry service between Lahaina, Maui and Lanai City (pop. a few hundred).

I'd suggest a minimum of five nights on any island. (More for both sides of BIG Island.) It's helpful to make a list of what you want to do and see on each island; figure time involved *from a specific lodging*; allocate days to that island.

There are no all-inclusives or private beaches in Hawaii. All beaches are public places. Hotels have chaise and umbrellas somewhat up the beach from the water line. You are free to sample as many public beaches as you wish, on foot or by rental car. Wailea is ideal for this, with five fine hotels along the Wailea Beach Path. The Marriott Beach Hotel is farthest north; then Grand Wailea, Andaz, Four Seasons, and Fairmont Kea Lani. There are some nice condos sprinkled into this area: Wailea Beach Villas, Wailea Elua and Ekahi, Polo Beach Club. Hotel Wailea is above the beaches, but will ferry you down and set you up there. This and the Montage in Kapalua are perhaps *best* of Maui. Hotels in Kaanapali and Kapalua are more spread out; some Kaanapali locations are on a shuttle that also takes you into touristy Lahaina Town.

On a short stay I would choose between Road to Hana (best waterfalls and bamboo jungle near the end) and Halekala's walk-in crater (sunrise requires a reservation with the park service, but a treat any time of day or evening). RTH is short but slow and curvy. You start RTH and Haleakala Hwy. in Kahului (OGG is there).

When will you visit Hawaii? How long will you stay? What's the lodging budget? As soon as you decide on 'your' island(s), reserve a rental car.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Hotels in Kaanapali and Kapalua are more spread out
With one technical exception, Sue gives you great information. The walking distance between the Fairmont and Marriott in Wailea is actually greater than the walking distance between the Hyatt and Black Rock (Sheraton) in Kaanapali, which is the entirety of the main (i.e. south of Black Rock) part of Kaanapali. The difference is that there is development north of Black Rock as well, also technically Kaanapali Beach - this part is definitely more spread out. The main part of Kaanapali (again, south of Black Rock) also includes Whaler's Village, with restaurants and shops, which means you don't have to drive. If you're staying north of Black Rock, driving is kind of required.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On Maui, I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua and the Hyatt in Kaanapali. I liked both very much. I really like the Kaanapali area for it's availability of restaurants and shops walking distance. In Honolulu, I haven't stayed at any of the "luxury" hotels - the Outrigger Waikiki was the nicest one I've stayed at. Bit if your are looking for luxury and peacefulness within the craziness of Waikiki Beach, take a look at Halekulani. I've always wanted to stay there. We've had dinner at one of its restaurants and enjoyed some drinks at the bar. It's just a relaxing environment. If you're interested in snorkling, Hanauma Bay is an easy place to do it.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 08:42 AM

I finally settled on the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach for our trip next year, after a whole lot of research with input from locals and frequent travelers. Other options: the Waikiki Marriott and The Prince (but the latter doesn't have balconies, a must for us). The Outrigger is also good, but a tad older--however, it's right on the beach.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Underhill
I finally settled on the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach for our trip next year, after a whole lot of research with input from locals and frequent travelers. Other options: the Waikiki Marriott and The Prince (but the latter doesn't have balconies, a must for us). The Outrigger is also good, but a tad older--however, it's right on the beach.

We walked through the Hyatt Regency last time we were in Waikiki and it's a nice hotel but a couple of things I wasn't crazy about - it felt really generic and convention-type hotel and also, I didn't like that the pool was on a rooftop several stories above the street. Even with the Outrigger being somewhat older, I'd choose it over the Hyatt given that it's right on the beach. But I don't know if those things are important to you.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Perhaps I should have said that five of Maui's top tier hotels are all *together* -- clustered along the great Wailea beaches and connected by the beach path. Shops At Wailea is the upscale mall there -- shops, restaurants, 'ye galleries', an ABC store...and Tiffany. There is a convenience grocery store at the north end. Chain grocers like Safeway and Foodland are just north in Kihei, a beach town that is home to many full time residents, and vacationers. South Kihei has the life-guarded Kamaole Beach Parks, small shops and casual restaurants. Piilani Hwy runs above Wailea and Kihei, providing a fast alternative to scenic but pokey coastal roads. We drive from South Kihei to Kahului in 25 minutes -- and to Lahaina Town in 45 minutes mid-day unless there is a problem on the 2-lane connector into West Maui.

An earlier post mentioned Ulalena in Lahaina Town; it has closed.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the update ChiSue. I am sad to hear about Ulalena. Their website is still up (I checked before posting but now see when you go to the Buy Tickets page it has a message "mahalo for your support over the last 17 years...")
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM

I would be surprised if it took 12 hours to do the road to Hana, even without including Paia town and the overlook for the surfers on the north shore. Maybe this URL will help you decide: https://roadtohana.com/sights.php
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:13 AM

Good point, edjim, and thanks for the photo guide! I'd allow 12 hours 'home' and back, given that most people stay on the opposite side of Maui. This takes more time from NW Kapalua (and anywhere in West Maui), and less time from South Maui. If you didn't stop and look -- the point of doing this -- you could probably drive down and back in 4 hours. Best to get off the twists and turns before sunset. Some visitors double book, spending a night or two in Hana with just a few belongings, leaving most luggage behind in a condo.