Reload this Page >

WHICH HAWAIN ISLANDS SHOULD I VISIT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 09:04 PM
NICK

ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND ARE GOING IN FEB. WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE 2 ISLANDS.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 06:38 PM
L. Montgomery

Since one of my children lives in Hawaii I have visited 4 or 5 times a year for 5 years.

My choises would without question be Kaui....spending 2 days on the North Shore (Princeville to the end of Island) and 2 days on South Shore.

The Big Island spending 1 night and 2 days or 1 1/2 days in the Volcano ares (spectacular) and a day or so at the beach.

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 06:08 PM
Steve

I lived on Oahu for 10 years and used to it often before that. I would suggest Oahu. There is much to see and do: Polynesian Cultural Center is a MUST, Hanauma Bay near Waikiki is a State Park under water where the fish are used to tourist feeding them by hand. In the winter (from Sept. on) the waves on the North Shore are fanatastic and the water is always warm. There is a ton of night life in Waikiki if you like clubs, they used to be open until 4:00AM ! There's always the USS Missouri at the Pearl Harbor Memorial and many many companies offer luaus for tourists or you could opt for a moonlight dinner cruise off Waikiki. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for because there is so much to see and do, even on Oahu (the state capitol).
I liked Maui for an "outer island." Again, there is a lot of night life and tons of tourist stuff. But Kauai, the "Garden Isle", is by far the prettiest. It's annual rainfall is one of the "wettest places on Earth." Talk about scenery !!!
So, decide on what you want to see and do, then pick up some travel books to see which island offers what you want and have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 10:15 PM
I. Hightower

I have been to Hawaii about 5 different times, all during the summer months. If you have never been you should spend some time in Oahu to do the touristy things like Polynesian Cultural Center, Waikiki Beach, climb Diamond Head, USS Arizona, etc. But it is very big city like and when you are ready to "hang loose" I would have to say Kauai is my favorite. It is so beautiful and peace full. Beaches for miles without anyone else. I also enjoyed the volcanic national park on the Big Island of Hawaii, and Haleakala Crater and Lahaina on Maui. It all depends on what you want to do. I've never been there in Feb. so you may want to consult a travel guide on weather in Hawaii in Feb. Kauai rains alot, but it is still my favorite island

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 05:52 PM
doug

We honeymooned in Hawaii and I can say that you will love it. We flew in and out of Honolulu, which allowed us to do touristy things like Pearl Harbor, but didn't waste a lot of time there. Honolulu is just a great big city.
Our favorite was also Kauai - take a helicopter tour, hike, golf, get a 4wd and drive around the island. Or just relax. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on the south side - excellent.
Our second favorite was Maui. Get up early or stay up late and watch the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala. Snorkeling at the Molokini Crater. You must do a luau. Maui is definitely more built up, with more restaurants and night life.
Have fun.

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 06:31 PM
Marge & Mike

If you want to stay somewhere VERY special and Very relaxing we recommend The Lodge at Koele on Lanai. This was our sixth trip to Hawaii, and by far the most wonderful. Words cannot describe the hotel and its grounds. We heartily recommend it!!

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 06:48 PM
tjjones

The island of Kauai is an absolute must! I've been to four of the islands and you gotta go to this one. Three things I highly recommended. Zodiac boat trip along the NaPali coastline. Drive up to the top of Waimai (sp?) Canyon. And take a helicopter ride around the island. You will never, EVER regret it. Four stars all the way.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 02:12 PM
jojo

I'm 25. Went first 3 weeks of March/96. 2 weeks in Waikiki,
very commercialized, never know that it was a place called Paradise. I had a great time there, mostly on the rest of the island of Oahu. Climbed Diamond Head, scootered around the city, watched the sun set on the north shore, did the helicopter/parasail/jetski for $99, whale watching cruise (no whales to be seen).
Hanenuma Bay was a little crowded for snorkling, but is the best place. Best time, lower east side of island is a 2 mile hike or so up to sacred falls, had a excellent swim in the fresh water (small cliff to dive off).

Spent 2 days on Kauai and 3 on the Big Island. These are the true Hawaiian areas. Kauai was better, less to do, but in a good way. Did the $99 helicopter ride over Jurassic Park falls and around the Napali coast (MUST DO). More of a relaxing time.

Big Island was a little of a dissapointment. Mainly for the
reason that there was no flowing lava to be seen from where you are allowed to go (just steam from the ocean at a distance) You might be able to take a helicopter ride
up close.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 03:11 PM
Celia

Enjoyed the comments I read 9-11-97. We go to Maui and Kauai in Jan. for our 25th anniversary. Any helpful hints, suggestions, cautions will be appreciated.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 03:13 PM
Celia

Enjoyed the comments I read 9-11-97. We go to Maui and Kauai in Jan. for our 25th anniversary. Any helpful hints, suggestions, cautions will be appreciated.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 04:37 PM
L. Montgomery

If you are going in Jan. or Feb., you will probably not be able to do the Zodiac trip to the Napali Coast as the water is too rough and they will not go in that weather (this is on Kaui).

If you go to Honolulu, be sure and go to the NorthShore for a day, at that time of the year they often have very high waves and the good surfers are out.

Old Sep 18th, 1997, 07:05 AM
Paola Contini

I just returned from honeymooning in Kauai and Maui. I would highly recommend both islands especially Kauai. Kauai is very beautiful and not as congested or commercial like Oahu or Maui.

If you can afford it stay at the Hyatt on both islands especially Kauai.

For a beautiful romantic dinner go to Swan Court at the Hyatt in Maui.

Be sure to do the Road to Hana in Maui and the Waimea Canyon in Kauai. We did not get to do the horseback riding in Kauai at Princeville if you are able to book it go for it. By the time we decided we wanted to horseback ride this trip was booked solid for a week. Also, in Kauai take a boat ride along the Napali Coast.

For a beautiful 4 1/2 mile beach that you will probably have to yourself in Kauai visit the Polehale Park. Not sure if I spelt that correctly but if you pick up Fodor's 1997 Hawaii book it is listed in there under beaches.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to see response to what's what as we are booked for March 2006 (seems sooo far off) and islands are:Kauai(covered here already)Lahaina;Kona;Hilo -anything to say on these?
thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM

WHY DID YOU TOP A POST FROM 1997?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Think I remember reading that the Swan Court no longer exists. Can't remember what they were going to do with the space.