Search

Hawaii in June

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Terri

Hawaii in June

We are thinking of taking a trip to Hawaii in early June for our anniversary. We have never been there before and not sure which island we should go to. We would like to find something reasonably priced that is on the beach, walking distance to restaurants & bars and not to overly crowded. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Terri

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Dawn Ct

How long do you plan to visit Hawaii? I happen to think that Kauai is one of the most beautiful islands but there is virtually no night life so a lot depends upon what you like to do. We like the outdoors, hiking, etc, so we prefer the Big Island and Kauai. Maui offers a balance of activities and night life and Oahu offers more urban opportunities although they certainly have out door activities as well. If however, you are just looking for a beach, a pool, a nice hotel, restaurants and bars, you probably could find all of that a lot closer to home. If you want natural beauty and are willing to get out and look for it, Hawaii is a wonderful destination.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Terri

Thanks Dawn,

Our plan was to use some ff miles and this morning we found out the only way to use them to get anywhere in Hawaii at the time we want, we have to fly into Honolulu. So, Oahu it is. We will be there a week. We love the outdoors, some hiking and most of all, the beach! Not too much into the night life but do enjoy being able to find a small bar or two for a few.

Anyway, now that we have narrowed down our search and at least know what island, I’m going to start a new post.

Thanks again Dawn!

Terri

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:58 AM
molly

Terri, Certainly nothing wrong with your decision to stay on Oahu, but most flights land in Oahu, so don't let this fact stop you from catching a quick, reasonable shuttle flight to any of the other islands.
My husband and I visited the Big Island a few years ago for three weeks {longer is better here; it is big!} and loved it, but then, we pretty much match Dawn in our traveling preference for exploring the outdoors, as opposed to a "lie on the beach" experience.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Dawn Ct

Hi Terri, I would be tempted to go for longer than a week. Fly into Oahu, visit Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, climb Diamond Head, and yes, I even like the Polynesian Cultural Center. We spent three days on Oahu, even visited the zoo and then consider Maui, a couple of nights in Volcano National Park on the Big Island or Kauai. Our last trip was 17 days and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:17 AM
xxx

Waikiki is IMHO your only choice if you don't want to rent a car. You can check out condo rentals at the Ilikai call there condo desk on the second floor get their number from the front desk.

I love the windward side on Oahu and would suggest you book a rental in Kailua, Lanikai, just a 20 minute pop over the pali to Honolulu and you will have peace an quiet here. One downer the sun does not set on the water here there are pretty pastale pink and blue sunsets here. The water seems clearer and lighter blue here.

Other options are the North Shore, Kahala, Blackpoint, Diamond Head.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Terri

Thanks all, I am going to research all of these ideas. We do plan on renting a car. Maybe we’ll stay a night or 2 in Waikiki and then the rest of the time somewhere like Kailua or Lanikai. How long of a drive is it?
Are Kailua, Lanikai, North Shore, Kahala, Blackpoint & Diamond Head towns or are they beaches?
What/where is the Ilikai? Can I get their number somewhere besides the front desk? Is there a website?

Where’s a good area for sunsets?

Although I would love to spend more time in Hawaii, it is not possible at this time. Next time though for sure!

Thanks again
Terri

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:51 PM
none

Would suggest you stay put on Oahu for a one week trip. Travelling to another island will consume too much downtime and you give you only a superficial look at a neighbor island since you aren't likely to stay there more than a day or two. Besides, Oahu has everything to offer that the outer islands do (except perhaps active volacanos!)

Best area for sunsets would be on the leeward coast. There is a great hotel there, the Ihilani, which is now a Marriot I believe. Great place to stay, but if you can only stay in Waikiki, that's fine too if you have a rental car. The island isn't that big, and has good roads so you can travel around very easily.

You mention you enjoy hiking, may I suggest a great book, "The Hikers guide to Oahu" by Stuart Ball. It's the equivalent to the bible for hiking on Oahu, giving you detailed instructions on how to reach the non-tourist trap trails. The feeling is just incredible to be out on the mountains of Oahu with no one in sight!

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:02 AM
hens4th

You must also get the guidebook "Driving and Discovering Oahu" by Richard Sullivan. Realistic advice, detailed directions to everything from heavily visited to "non-touristed" areas, and beautiful photography. We stayed put on Oahu (North Shore) for our first ever Hawaiian vacation last year and absolutely loved the island. Be sure to plan a day or two to just drive around the island "beaching" (that's what we called it) - Oahu has an amazing amount of (mostly) deserted beaches - all different and all beautiful.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Ross

Really Hens4th. I used Driving and Discovering and apart from photos did not find it interesting. My problem with this guide was that it was not detailed enough lacking operational times of places a well as phone numbers. We just stopped using it. I also am very familar with Hawaii and was just using this as a quick reference for locations that I forgot or if I did not know hours it did not help me.