Which car should i choose

Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Jason

Which car should i choose

Hi there, fellow travelers!

I am taking a six week cross country trip from the end of June to the beginning of August. My difficulty is over which automobile to take: a 1990 Astro van or a 1992 Honda Accord. Both have over 100K mileage (the van with more). I am in NY but will be heading basically around the whole U.S. thanks for the feedback!

Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
kevin

Do you wnat space or good gas mileage?? Will you be sleeping in it? which one is more reliable? This should not be a hard decision..... and if it is, how are you going to decide which credit card to use, or which roads to travel???

Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
cars

What color are they? how is the stereo system? Leather or fabric interior?

Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
mjh

There sure are a lot of crabby people out there. Seems like a legitimate question to me.

It used to be that people would say the domestic car dealers were more readily available than the foreign car dealers. That would argue for the van. Accords are so popular now that may not be the case, but I remember when my son and husband went out to Michigan and they said almost all the cars were american -- funny thing how job stability can enter in. Also in sections of the South it is very rare to see a foreign car. Maybe this has changed since Honda has a plant in the South.

Come on, everyone out there in the wide expansive spaces! If repairs are needed which one of these cars would be able to get service in your area?

Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Gloria

More importantly, what brand of bottled water will you take: Dasani or Evian or Aquafina?
And what about factoring in your biorhythms? Have you checked your horoscope too?

Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:11 PM
Owen O'Neill

For driving comfort and potential for best reliability the Honda wins hands down. I've known people who've owned both vehicles and driven them to high mileage - at the 100,000 mile mark the Honda is far less likely to develop the need for major service. Critical fact: if the timing chain/belt on the Honda has not been changed it MUST be done before you go (or sooner). This is likely a $150-200 job. ON some cars if this component fails, it simply means that the car won't move until it's fixed. On other engine designs, including the Accord, failure will cause the engine to self-destruct. This is not a myth but a fact. The recommended changing point is at about 70,000 miles but few people get around to it unless they're conscientious about preventive maintenance.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
notso

why do people automatically think that being goofy in an answer means they are "crabby"?
what a bunch of tight a**es walking around these days!
let's all sit around with the proper seriousness and answer these questions, don't smile, these are weighty matters!
Here is an answer.
Take the Honda.We have a 1988 Honda Lx and it runs like a top, has no problems and will go through every kind of bad weather.We also have a BMW-it stays home when it snows.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:29 PM
Mr goodwrench

Jason-definitely your Astro Van. It is much bigger and you can sleep in the back. Better yet, sell them both and buy a mazda miata. You'll look far cooler, especially since you will have all that extra gas money to spend.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
x

Drive the Astro van, but tow the Honda for when the van breaks down. Then torch the van for the insurance money.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:10 PM
Tommy

The Accord is a much more reliable car.
It was also the #1 selling car in America.

Whoever above said there were not many imports in the South must be living in the 70's.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:14 PM
Bubba

Most people living in the south ARE still living in the 70's.

Mar 4th, 2002, 07:00 AM
x

Isn't it a question of reliability and comfort over anything else? If both are equally reliable then it's just a question of comfort. If they're both equally comfortable then...it's up to you. Why are you asking us?

Mar 4th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Susan

To Not So Serious: Why on earth do you leave your BMW home when it snows??? Bimmers love the snow!

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Polar

Only BMW X5's "love the snow". 540s and 3 series are borderline unsafe compared to 4WD vehicles and front wheel drivers.
I speak from lots of personal experience.
Check how many BMW's you see in Minneapolis. Not too darned many.

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:09 PM
NotsoSerious

I have a 328i and it loves dry sunny days but slides like an sob when the roads are slick!
The Honda chugs along everywhere,over hills of snow! My husband bought the BMW because they really are good cars and last forever, maybe partly because , here in the NE, they get to sit in the garage in the winter

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Susan

Isn't this because they have rear wheel drive? We took our new BMW to the snow a few years ago and slid all over the place too, even with the chains. How do those Germans get by?

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Jason

Thanks for all of the responses (serious and otherwise)> I appreciate the opinions as much as I appreciate gewtting a smile or a laugh reading them. Thanks all!

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Jason

Thanks for all of the responses (serious and otherwise)> I appreciate the opinions as much as I appreciate gewtting a smile or a laugh reading them. Thanks all!