2 days only in D. C., What should I not miss

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Steven V

2 days only in D. C., What should I not miss

My wife and I will only have 2 days in town, What are the things we MUST do? Any great restaurant we should not miss?, price or type of food is realy not a factor. Thanks for any help.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:49 PM
ksmit

Hi,

I can't really help with restaurants but I think you should really try to see the smithsonian, the air and space museum (recently redone) and there is a postal museum that I have heard is pretty good.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:50 PM
karen

hi steven, from a tourist viewpoint, i think that the holocaust museum is a must-see. it was the best museum i have ever been to. i took my daughters there a couple years ago when they were 10 and 12 years old (they are not easily impressed as their father lives on central park west in manhattan and they have seen every museum in nyc) and they still talk about it. if shopping is your thing, you might want to try tyson's corner mall and tyson's corner galleria; they are acrosss the street from each other, and include bloomingdales, neiman marcus, saks, nordstroms and about 250 other stores. i was in dc last weekend for a conference, and had sat night free and spent it at the mall (guilt-free as all the museums were closed!) karen

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:02 AM
xxx3

But the monuments aren't closed at night. In fact, they are at their most dramatic and moving when lit up at night. They're all located in the same general area. My favorites are the Lincoln, Vietnam, and FDR memorials.

Just for the record, the Smithsonian Institution runs at least 15 museums, one of which is the Air and Space museum, as well as the National Zoo. Usually when people refer to "the Smithsonian" they're referring to the museums of Natural History and American History, which are next to each other on the Mall (not to be confused with a shopping mall, THE Mall is that big grassy area in the middle of the city).

The Postal Museum is excellent, but I wouldn't put it on a two-day list of must-sees. Also in the area of the Postal museum is the very special Building Museum.

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Insider

Most people think they have to "do" the Wash. Monument. They don't. Go up the tower in the Old Post Office Pavillion on Pa. Ave. (right at Metro stop) -- better angle for a better view and usually a line that's much shorter than Wash. Monument or no line at all.

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:15 AM
washingtonian

With two days, go to Union Station and get on one of the trolley tour cars. Spend the entire day on this, it is a hop on, hop off type tour. Gives you a good overview and lets you get off at the things you want to see. I recommend a lengthy stop at National Cathedral and Arlington Cemetery, but you decide. The next day you can spend on the Mall, peeking into the Smithsonian, the Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. For dinner, try Georgia Browns and the Palm if you want to be a big spender.

Mar 12th, 2002, 08:33 AM
xxx

The Holocaust museum is the amazing, get there early to get tickets to the permanent exhibit. The American History museum is great. Other don't miss attractions...Arlington National Cemetary, the Vietnam Wall.

Mar 12th, 2002, 08:44 AM
kristin

Definitely the Holocaust Museum. If you like art, there are many great ones to choose from - Corcoran and Phillips are my favorites, but the National Gallery is wonderful (west wing is older stuff, east wing is contemporary) as is the Hirschorn. If you're more into history, then Natural History and American History museums are both great. And if it's nice out, just stroll the mall and check out the monuments - Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson, Vietnam, etc. I would also highly recommend an evening stroll through either Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan (or both, they're adjacent neighborhoods) for great restaurants, bars, shopping and people watching.

For restaurant recommendations, check out the Washington Post dining guide at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...2001/index.htm Some of my favorites in town are Cashions (fantastic American cuisine - in Adams Morgan), Jaleo (Spanish - downtown near MCI center), Yanyu (upscale Asian - in Cleveland Park) and 1789 (classic American in Georgetown).

Have a good trip!

Mar 12th, 2002, 08:47 AM
ilisa

Washingtonian, if people see the Air and Space Museum and Natural History, then they are peeking into the Smithsonian. Steven, keep in mind the museums and extensive and require several hours to truly appreciate them. I am a former docent at Air and Space and once spent the day at the Museum alone to get ideas for my tour. It took me 6 hours to see all the galleries.

Mar 12th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Gayle

I agree with Kristin's picks. We just returned from 4 days in D.C. and most of our time was spent at The Holocaust Museum, The Phillips Collection, Hirshorn, Corcoran (though most of the permanent collection is in storage right now and the only show was a photographic exhibition which was interesting and provocative but not stellar) and the National Gallery east and west wing. We also vistied the Vietnam Memorial. On previous trips we did the Air and Space Museum and the American History Museum and monuments. The monuments are beautiful at night, but kind of boring to visit, though important cultural icons.

As for restaurants, here are the three we went to. All are in Georgetown. All require reservations. I recommend them all.

Neyla - 3206 N. St. N.W. 202-333-6353
mediterranean, grill, casual in a gorgeous and exotic setting, fab food, moderately priced.

Marcel's - 2400 Pennsylvania Ave. 212-296-1166 Belgian/French country, excellent food and service, lovely room, very French country in feeling (not rustic, but elegant). Expensive

Citronelle - in The Latham at M St. at 31st St. - FABULOUS French cuisine, amazing service, incredible wine list with a helpful sommelier who helped to find interesting and reasonable choices. Incredible for a special occassion. Very expensive.

Have fun. Email if you have other questions.

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Ann

Restaurants: second on Citronelle. Also, 1789. Avoid the Palm. High prices, mediocre food. Also, Cafe Altantico, DC Coast, Jaleio.

Another vote for the Holocaust Museum, and to do the view at the Old Post office. Don't wait in line at the Wash Mon. Also, definitely monumnents at night. Don't forget the Einstein memorial on Consittutiaon. My computer is falling apart, so please excuse my mistakes.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Linda

I agree with fellow poster- take a trolley tour from Union Station to see the monuments the easy and best way. Especially the night tour- it's beautiful!! Don't miss the Smithsonian- but do some rearch before you go and try to narrow down the exhibits you want to see. I loved the First Ladies' exhibition with their gowns and memorabilia.
Consider taking a bus or cab to Georgetown . Lunch down on the waterfront gazing over the Potomac. It's a beautiful area with great shopping and wonderful, quaint restaurants. Don't be scared to take the Metro,either. It is safe and a very cheap, easy way to get around Washington.