Which botanic garden is nicer?

Old May 1st, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Which botanic garden is nicer?

My wife and I will be in NYC in mid-July, and on our list of might-do's during our six-night stay is maybe checking out either the Brooklyn Botanic Garden or the NY Botanical Garden in the Bronx. Is one nicer than the other? We'll be going to a Yankees game on one of the nights; would a few hours beforehand at the NY Botanical Garden make for a nice afternoon?
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM

The NY Botanical is slightly better; there is also Wavehill overlooking the Palisades in the Bronx---very impressive. There are also beautiful gardens in Central Park (the park itself is beautiful). Why not visit websites for all these places?
And the Cloisters are also amazing.
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:17 PM

I'm a Brooklynite and I've been to both gardens many times...the one in the Bronx is MUCH bigger and better. In it, you don't even feel like you're in the city anymore, while at the Brooklyn Gardens you can hear and see the cars on surrounding streets. Plus, a river runs through the Bronx gardens (kinda fun to watch the ducks & see if they go over the little waterfalls).

I spent this Easter at the Brooklyn gardens...it was completely packed. Though pretty, it was not a pleasant experience. I spend Easter 2 years ago having a picnic with my family at the Bronx gardens - it was wonderful - we had a whole picnic area to ourselves! The Brooklyn gardens doesn't allow picnics/food. Bah!
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:40 PM

And the NY Botanical Garden is across the street from the Bronx Zoo.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:32 AM

Hey, I love the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, so I represent those remarks, Suzanne, lol.

Actually, the Brooklyn garden can be reached easily by subway--the 2,3 trains stop right there. The entire garden can be easily navigated in a day, because it is much smaller than Bronx BG (something I like). They don't allow picnics, or sitting on the grass except in the cherry esplanade--which is lovely and just about to bloom last weekend (other cherry trees are in bloom there). They do have a nice patio area in the middle of the greenhouse area, which has decent food, nice tables, with umbrellas.

If you want to picnic, it is nestled in the corner of Prospect Park, which is giant and has picturesque spots--a very short walk from the garden. There's also the Brooklyn Museum right next to it, which has a nice permanent collection.

The Brooklyn garden has a Japanese pond and garden area, which is lovely, and in July the large rose garden will be in full bloom.

Easter being a holiday, the garden probably was much more crowded than it usually gets. We have a pass and go there all the time and rarely have to deal with large crowds. If you're there on a weekday, you'll have even less of a problem.

By public transportation you'd have to take a Metro North train from GC to the BBG stop, across the street from the entrance. So it's a little pricier to get there.

At Grand Central you can buy a package ticket for the Garden which includes round trip tickets and covers entrance fees to the Enid Haupt, the tram ride, and the rock garden. So there are small fees for various sites at that garden. Also, it's a huge garden. You can do a lot of walking (though there's the tram) that makes stops (again, there's a fee for the tram ticket).

The Bronx garden would be an all day event and takes longer to get there and back, plus you have to figure in waiting for the Metronorth train. There's also a nice cafeteria there, but there are also several picnic bench areas. In the middle of summer it's not uncommon for large groups to be using them.

I love them both.

Hope this info helps. Marge (the botanic garden fanatic, lol)
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:49 AM

It is posibble to take the subway to the Bronx garden (D train), though you'd have to walk a few blocks from the station to the garden entrance. MetroNorth stops just across the street.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like both gardens have their charms, which is also proven by the pictures on their websites. As nice as the NY Botanical sounds, however, the fact that Brooklyn's is smaller, and can be seen in less time (thus allowing more time to do other sightseeing), is giving it a slight edge. Maybe my wife and I could take it and Prospect Park in on a nice afternoon, and follow it up by heading over to Brooklyn Heights and walk around it and the Promenade, concluding with dinner (suggestions?) and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge as the lights come up. Does that sound like a good plan?

Still welcoming more responses on the two parks!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:45 AM

It's been awhile since I've had dinner in Brooklyn Heights. Montague Street, which leads down to the promenade, has lots of places. To the north there's also the River Front Cafe (I'm pretty sure that's the name) that has a reputation.

The view from the promenade when the sun is setting can be very pretty. Lots of old houses along there as well.

7th Avenue in Park Slope has lots of good restaurants. Also: Twelfth Street Bar and Grill 1123 Eighth Avenue (corner of 12th Street) 499-3253

I don't know about going over the Bridge in the evening, but I may be more paranoid and over cautious about that sort of thing than others. I had a friend who was attacked in the wee hours crossing on her bike.

Have a great time
I think you'll enjoy the botanic garden.
Marge