Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ilihani Resort in Oahu - Hotel rooms or 1 Bedroom Villas at the time share?

Search

Marriott Ilihani Resort in Oahu - Hotel rooms or 1 Bedroom Villas at the time share?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have currently double booked this resort and I now need to decide whether to stay in the Hotel (1 BR Ocean View) or a 1 BR villa (also ocean view). I assume that the hotel and the time-share villas are in separate buildings and I'm wondering if one is "better" than the other. Obviously, the villa will have more space (w/ separate living room and small kitchen). Price is not really the object here since I'm using some of my marriott points. Has anyone seen both properties (I assume they are located at the same resort). Which is "better"?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:56 PM

I would love to hear someone's opinion too as we are going in June and have one of each also.....When are you going?? Do you know anything about the golf course there??
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Also would love to hear from someone that knows something about the timeshare. I believe it is brand new.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Okay, I guess I'm someone who's seen both!

We stayed at the Ihilani last June. While there, we took a tour of the time share. The hotel rooms are nicer than the standard hotel rooms, since all are more of a suite type. However, the villas at the time share were quite impressive and top quality. I would say it depends on what the point difference is for them. Also, the beach the time share is at is not the same one the hotel is at. The time share location should be quieter. This may be good, or not, depending on your preference. It's an easy walk from one area to the other, and both beaches are virtually the same and definitely beautiful. The walkway from one to the other was a pleasant one that we took a couple times while we were there. I would be happy with either, but if it were me, I think I'd opt for the time share because it's larger and more comfortable to 'live in' if you're there for a week or so, providing the points are not that different. Enjoy your stay.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lois. I'm leaning toward the "time share" units - I think they include a washer/dryer also. It's just my husband and I travelling (we're both 50) and this location sounds quieter (not as many kids, I hope).
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:56 AM

They do have a washer and dryer. As resorts go, this one did not have as many kids as some [ie; Marriott Kaanapali]. There is one point, regarding kids. I suspect that the time share would attract families, so you may have kids around anyhow. We are also in our fifties, and loved the area. I don't see how you won't be happy. The travel channel is having a show on the top ten beaches,and I saw the hotel and beach in a clip, so I'm wondering if there will be any more footage of it. Thought I'd mention this, just in case you get the travel channel. You might get a little preview. It was a wonderful stay for us. While you are there, stop in Niblick's restaurant at the golf course across the street. It was very nice, and the food was good.