Where's the best whale-watching?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning trips to Bar Harbor, Maine as well as Cape Cod this summer. I'm interested in whale watching but not sure whether I should go from Provincetown or Bar Harbor. The more whales the better, but also want to consider (1) time getting to whale watching grounds (2) roughness of sea and (3) cost (less important).
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:03 PM
binky1095

We had a great whale watching experience out of Bar Harbor several years ago. I don't remember it being rough on the way out, but it was a bit rougher on the way back in. They go at a pretty fast pace heading back home. We went in Sept and saw several fin backs. The name of the company we used was Acadian Whale Watcher. I've never been out of Provincetown.

Have a great trip(s)!

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:27 PM

If you're looking for maximum whales at minimum cost, simply station yourself outside the nearest Cracker Barrel restaurant on the interstate. The folks there are nice enough to provide rocking chairs for people who want to watch their fat customers disgorge themselves from the gift shop.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Now THAT's funny...

I'll admit I have never understood whale watching. If we purport to love these mammals, why would we go out in a boat and harass them? Does anyone think the whales enjoy being buzzed by boats full of smaller mammals? I admit to being a little dense, but I don't get it...
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Great whale watching on the St. Lawrence in a town called Riviere Du Loup outside Quebec, if you have the time to drive up there from Maine.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Well, it looks like both advertise whale watches for 3 hours round trip. Off Massachusetts, most whales are sighted near or in Stellwagen Bank. See the map at
http://www.coastalstudies.org/stellwagen/oceano.htm
which shows you where Provincetown sits relative to that area.

Regardless of where you leave from, take Dramamine or some other motion sickness preventive before you depart.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Tog71g,

The boats do not buss the whales.The boats are not supposed to drive to close to the whales.I think there is a distance requirment they have to maintain.We went Whale watching in Alaska and the captain was very careful not to disturb the Whales. He did stop the boat at one point and shut off the motor. A couple of Humpback whales came right up to the side of the boat to check us out. They seemed to enjoy people watching as much as we enjoyed watching them.Awesome experience for all.The Whales can appoach the boat,but the boat can not , I think is the way it goes.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 03:06 PM

My vote is for Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod. The whales are so close and plentiful here they can sometimes be seen off Race Point Beach. Seas and cost hard to compare!

Whale Watch vessels are not a threat to whales as they comply to strict rules. The real problem is open sea vessels that ram them and fishing vessels that entangle the whales in their nets.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Thanks everybody for your input.. i think p-town wins!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Not sure where you are staying on Cape Cod, the best whalewatches that we have been on have left from Plymouth, Massachusetts (Capt. JohnBoats) they travel to Stellwagen Banks.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:55 PM

We just got back from a long weekend in Bar Harbor. We went whale watching on Friday morning with the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company's Friendship V ship. The price was $42 per adult, although they offer a $2 off coupon on their website. We saw 2 fin backs and 3 minke whales, as well as plenty of puffins and seals. The ship is a jet powered boat, so it doesn't have any propellors to injure the wildlife or destroy the lines of lobster fishermen. Also, the ship is very fast, up to 30 mph. It was an excellent time which I'd highly recommend. Not to mention, you get to spend time in Acadia National Park by going to Bar Harbor.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:19 PM

Another vote for Riviere Du Loup
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM

disney, universal studios, las vegas. basically anywhere there are large numbers of americans.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Hey there, in regards to Bar Harbor, ME, you're best best is to go whale watching on the power boat catamaran, the Friendship V. It's docked right at the Bar Harbor Regency or Holiday Inn, right as you enter town. It's a blast and it's fast. Also, because it's a cat, not to bumpy, that's the whole point.