When to Whale Watch in Maine?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Karen

When to Whale Watch in Maine?

We'll be in Bar Harbor the first week in Aug, and we're trying to narrow down what activities we'll have time for. I know you're taking your chances on whale sightings, but if it's a known fact that whales never show in August, could you let me know??? Thanks!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Rosanne

We went on a whale and puffin trip a few weeks ago with the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.(www.whalesrus.com). We saw lots of finback whales, seals, puffins,etc. They guaranteed we'd see a whale! Cost was $43.00 per person for 3-4 hour cruise. I'd contact them because after September they run until the end of season and I don't know when that'll be. Enjoy!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Donna

You should see something in August, the whales are still on their Northern feeding grounds. Just be sure to take something if you're prone to motion sickness, the seas can be rough!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Cyndy

According to my book, Where The Whales Are, in Aug. you might see fin, humpback, minke and right whales at that time. We went in Sept many years ago and saw several fin whales (just as the book had stated). We used the Acadian Whale Watcher (they state their season for whales to be May-Oct.) in Bar Harbor and it was nice. Definitely rough ride on the way back.

Have fun. It's an awesome sight!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Karen

Thx Roseanne, Donna and Cyndy----I think we'll plan on a whale trip!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Frank

You will definitely see whales in Bar Harbor in Aug.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:16 AM
SM

We just got back from Bar Harbor where we went on the whale/puffin trip. Saw both and what an amazing sight the whales are to see up close. Everyone that we talked to that had been out on other excursions also had numerous sightings so I don't think you should have a problem a week from now.