Search

Whale Watch from Bar Harbor

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whale Watch from Bar Harbor

Wow. I'm completely blown away by the negative reviews (estimate of 80%) I'm reading on the reportedly first choice Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company’s “Friendship V” trips. I'm not prone to sea sickness, but the consistent descriptions of this trip alone make me nauseous! Cannot even imagine being around a hundred puking people and being able to survive unscathed! What a disappointment. This was high on my list for things to do on MDI until I read all these reviews over the past several years. Any comments?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Umm. This is common on whale watches out of Boston as well and is likely to be common on whale watches elsewhere (everywhere?).

Basically, you go well offshore, where the waves are choppy, and you sit there going up-and-down, up-and-down, up-and-down. Many people find that this makes them seasick. Others find that back-and-forth, back-and-forth, back-and-forth is what causes them to barf. I am pretty sure that this is inherent in the experience, but I would love to be corrected. I don't think anyone gets sick going to or from the viewing grounds because the boat is moving right along rather than back-and-fort, up-and-down.

You can Google the marine weather forecast for the day you are planning to go, and it will give you the expected wave height. Anything over a couple of feet will feel like more when you are sitting around or moving very slowly.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
plr
Original Poster

Well this is sure discouraging! Anyone else have experience with the trips out of Bar Harbor? Would the trip be any different from DownEast?
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 07:50 PM

Our family did a whale watch cruise out of Cape Cod 2 years ago and it was fabulous. None of us got sick but I remember when I was facing the back of the boat, my stomach got a little queezy.

Once I faced the front and saw where I was going, all was fine.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks lux--Coincidentally I've heard consistently good reports from folks who did this from Cape Cod. But the Maine waters may be very different in terms of turbulence, so still wondering if Ackislander's summary is true for boats leaving from all areas of MDI or DownEast.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
LJ

A group of friends went out last month from Bar Harbour to whale watch. They loved it and were very enthusiastic about seeing 2 different kinds of whales and dolphins and seals, too. Seasickness was not part of their trip report at dinner that night and I am sure they would have said: maybe it is a factor of weather?
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouraging words, LJ. So which is more effective...Dramamine or Bonine? Never had to take the stuff before, but think I'd better go prepared!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM

We went out a few years back on the Friendship V and no one on our boat was ill. It was great fun and we both thought very well worth it.
Very important - dress VERY warmly. I had purchased a 3/4 lenght winter coat at the LL Bean store on our way up the coast so it just happened to be in the car.....so I figured what the heck. I wore this heavy coat, gloves and a hat...this was August and it was in the high 80's in town. Some people think if they throw on a sweater or a windbreaker they will be fine - not true!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM
LJ

Dramamine works well, but count on drowsiness and dry mouth if you take the standard dose. Ginger-based lozenges are a good rememdy for nausea if it is mild...but, speaking as one of those iron-stomached types that doesn't get sick though surrounded by those that do, the best prevention for nausea is a good breakfast before you go on board, lots of water if twinges strike and keeping yourself distracted with whale sightings and away from those less fortunate!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM

We did one out of Booth Bay Harbor a few years back in July. Bette is right-the experience was frigid. And, we saw only one whale from afar-a "minke" as I recall. We were given a non-expiring voucher for a return trip, if we're ever in the neighborhood. We did see and smell plenty of seals. The scenery was beautiful too.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
plr
Original Poster

Bette, LJ, and Hmmm--Thank you so much for your help here! Such great, specific advice from each of you! I've never had seasickness, but nearly abandoned the idea of this trip after reading all the negative reports. I'm definitely going to do this trip...what about those patches behind the ear?