Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Where would you go for a 4 day weekend with pre-teens In mid-October?

Where would you go for a 4 day weekend with pre-teens In mid-October?

Aug 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Where would you go for a 4 day weekend with pre-teens In mid-October?

We are looking to get away for MEA weekend. We love to hike/bike, beautiful scenery, history, arts, museums, theater, great food. Where would you go if you only had 4 days which includes travel days. We went to Toronto last year and had a fabulous time! My children are 10 and 11. Thanks for your advice!
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM

What about Chicago? Great museums, restaurants, great bike/running path along the lake. Ans the weather is still great in October.

The musical, Wicked is playing in Chicago. Don't know how long it is running.

My daughter fell in love with Chicago when she was about your children's age--she performed there a few times with her show choir. She just moved there this summer---her dream.
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM

Vail, Colorado
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:00 AM

I would have to agree on Vail, Colorado.
Although, I have never been to the Theatre there.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:26 AM

I would think October is the ideal time for upstate New York, Vermont, or New Hampshire. Plenty of nice weather (occasionally a bit cold), lots of pretty outdoors in the country, lots of concerts and theater in many of the towns.

If that sounds a bit too cold, I guess I would suggest something around the central coast of California. Trouble is, I have no idea how far you will have to travel. Don't know what MEA stands for, anyway. Good luck.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. We have been to Aspen in October and it was beautiful. Are you suggesting Vail for the same reason? I am not very familiar with Vail other than a hugh ski area. Why did you suggest it jillc1 and michey? Since two of you recommended it, and I was considering Colorado, I would like to know more.

Sorry about the acronym MEA. Our schools in Minnesota take a two day break in October for teacher training, etc. We always have a four day weekend in October, and it is nice to sometimes get away.

I am from IL, lived in Chicago for many years, and we are always back visiting. In fact, we are going to be in the city for a four day stay in August after visiting family in the suburbs. I agree! It is a fabulous city and my children love it!

We had a two week trip booked for Maine to RI (I mean completely booked with B&B reservations and plane tickets) and unfortunately, we had to cancel. We need to use those tickets up; however, or lose them so I thought it would be nice to use them for the long weekend.

Thanks for your recommendations, and michey and jillc1, I would greatly appreciate it if you could elaborate why you recommend Vail.

Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM

Mid-October? Anywhere in the Northeast -- I was actually thinking Boston, and it sounds like you had already researched that area (ME - RI) for a previous trip that fell through. You could hit the city for a few days (history, art, museums, theater, food), and also take a drive up to Vermont to see fall foliage (hike/bike & scenery).
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM

Washington DC - the weather is fabulous in October and the time is just enough. Remember all those museums and monuments on the mall are free!
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
gc

Are the kids boys or girls? Are they into scouting? In upstate NY you could watch the parade of Cadets at West Point and a football game at Mitchie Stadium if the Black Knights are playing at home. It could be one of the most beautiful places in the country at that time of year. Then north to Saratoga and Fort Ticonderoga for more culture and history.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM

Oh, D.C. would be nice too...what about NYC or Philly? Any of the cities from D.C. to Boston would certainly fit your wish list.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:18 PM

Would not reccomend Philly- esp after living in Boston for many years. I would go to Boston, Chicago, NYC OR Vail, CO- lots to do out doors and you may be able to catch something at the Villar Center or somewhere else around. Its my favorite vk destination. Just got caught in a hale and torrential rain storm there a few weekends ago hiking... in JULY! But we were up very high. I always wondered what it would be like to get caught like that! Now I know... but its a very cool place.

Search this Thread