Search

Chicago in October

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago in October

Hey. My husband and I are thinking about taking our first trip to Chicago. We are thinking about coming in October, during fall break. Is that a good time to come, not too cold, not too windy? I hear that you can walk everywhere you go there so I want nice weather. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM

If you go over any school break where most kids have time off the city will be more crowded. If you plan on going over Columbus Day weekend it will be packed downtown for the parade. Early October in Chicago has typically nice weather but it can always change without much notice. You can walk to most anything if you stay in a central location downtown. It also depends on how much walking you want to do.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Chicago is a very easy city to walk - especially the downtown area. Also, it has fantastic public transportation - you can get a pass unlimited rides on the El and bus for $5 for 24 hours.

Chicago weather is volatile, but fall is usually nice.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Early October in Chicago is beautiful. The colors are changing, the temps mild, and usually the skies are bright and clear. I love Chicago in the fall.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Chicago is a wonderful city to visit anytime, especially in the summer and fall. This year's Chicago Marathon is Sunday, October 7, and hotels tend to fill up. Not sure if that's the time frame you're considering, but whatever you do, book early and enjoy!

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM
JJ5

The only weekends I do NOT stay in the downtown area are Marathon weekend and Venitian Night Weekend. It's expensive and too crowded for good use. Weather is not a cypher of the factor, as service and usability is in this. I don't know when your fall break is, but if it overlaps this Marathon, do not judge a normal Chicago weekend by that weekend. If you do Priceline now for hotel then, you will get a deal regardless, but if it ISN'T Marathon weekend time, you will be THRILLED.

You will never be guaranteed nice weather in or at any time of coming to Chicago. That is the truth. Oct. 10 was the day I brought a baby home once and it was like drop dead beautiful Indian Summer. But I have experienced October days of rain / grey to gale winds.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

The break is the week of Oct. 15 so it would be after the marathon is over. Thanks!