Where/What To Eat in D.C.?

Jun 9th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Where/What To Eat in D.C.?

Fodorites,

After 7 years in Europe the powers that be are sending us "home" to D.C. We'll be touching down in just a couple of weeks, and until my cookware arrives in our air freight shipment we will either have to dine out or microwave stuff from Trader Joes. Woe to us, I know.

On the dining out front, last spring on a home leave visit we loved Rasika and Oyamel (ate there twice). Layalina disappointed a bit, though. Where else should we dine? We eat across all cuisines and all budgets.

On the Trader Joes front, what is the one comestible I "can not live without" from the store?

Thank you, in advance. Looking forward to viewing my hometown through fresh lenses.

Jun 9th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Trader Joe’s gyoza are great, but maybe not for a microwave. Also, their coffee is very good and much less expensive than comparable brands.
Jun 10th, 2019, 08:48 AM

I don't like Trader Joe's coffee at all, by contrast. At least not the varieties I've tried, I thought it was terrible so never buy it. I've tried French Roast and Colombian mainly. Any basic chain supermarket has better coffee in my opinion.

I never ever eat "apps" and rarely frozen fish, etc., they seem to have a lot of frozen stuff which I would never eat. They also have a lot of junk food, even if "good" junk food (lots of cookies, candy, etc, which I rarely eat). The few things I buy that I like are their frozen mac and cheese (with some kind of peppers in it), and a couple frozen Indian meals (palak paneer, etc). And their frozen NY cheesecake is pretty good.

I'm not a super big fan of Trader Joe's and only go maybe once a month at most. They are horrible about environmental waste, all their produce is in plastic where I live (except maybe bananas and avocados). They do that because they ship it long distances and so they don't have to weigh it, I think. And the one near me is always crowded except when it first opens, and doesn't have enough parking.

I buy a few other things sometimes when I"m there but it's nothing special, just because I'm in the store, you can buy the same kind of stuff anywhere (like milk, which they have good prices on). I buy baking nuts there sometimes as their prices are reasonable. Their filet mignon is also reasonably priced, but nothing different, just a little cheaper than other stores if the other stores aren't having a sale.

I don't dine out that regularly and wouldn't eat in places like Rasika routinely as it's expensive by my terms. Just look at some Washington Post reviews or maybe Washingtonian magazine. The Post restaurant critic has a few favorites he always is mentioning over and over again, they are usually expensive by my terms.
Jun 10th, 2019, 08:56 AM

If you have a regular oven, I like the frozen pizzas at Trader Joe's. My favorites are the red pepper/mozzarella and the pesto with broccoli and tomato. Sometimes I add a little more cheese and basil to the red pepper one. I just slide them right onto the oven rack. They cook quickly. Add a salad. Done.

Good Stuff Eatery might be fun for a casual dinner or lunch in DC.
Jun 10th, 2019, 09:26 AM

TJ's has great veg and fruit. Great bag salads. I love the stir fry and chicken dumplings but only on a stove top. We buy their cod fish. I like a lot of the prepared meals but try not to buy. The steak and chicken pie are good but high in calores. I also bought organic four buck chuck last visit. They do have a good wine and beer selection. The chilli lime spice is my new fav and love well rested tea. Great snacks, peanut butter filled pretzels and fig bars are always in my cart. start getting the monthly ad. Best place for fresh flowers. Will you live in DC or in Md?
Jun 10th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Chicken Tikka Masala with Cumin Flavored Basmati Rice. You're welcome.

Jun 10th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. I called out Trader Joe's because it is within reasonable public access from our flat. We will have a car, though I want to walk or (try to) use public (I know, I know, WMATA isn't anything like Wiener Linien) as much as possible; plus, friends have assured me that DC traffic hasn't aged well in 7 years.

Our flat has a full kitchen; unless I can borrow DS's cookware (in exchange for feeding him, no doubt ) we'll be relying on the microwave and the oven to make meals happen.

As for coffee, we are French Press people. Any press users who purchase coffee from Trader Joes?

Christina, Trader Joe's was my go-to. It was on the way home from the office, and I could pick up everything for dinner (including good wine). We're not prepared food-eaters normally, but I won't have my (bare-boned) kitchen supplies for about a week and really don't want to purchase crap from Target that I neither need nor want.

Macross, we'll be in Northern Virginia, steps from an Orange Line station. I remember the fig bars. Mmmm. Looking forward to investigating the wine selection, too!

maitai, thanks for the recommendation. DD is a major Indian-food fan, but it will take a while for me to reconstruct my spices arsenal so this will hopefully placate her cravings.
Jun 12th, 2019, 05:35 AM

You mentioned liking José Andrés' Oyamel. Try Jaleo, his Spanish restaurant (same neighborhood).
Jun 12th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Which Orange Line station? Lots of great restaurants in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.
Jun 12th, 2019, 06:38 AM

We also really liked Jose’s Zaytinya.
Jun 16th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Welcome back home, fourfortravel. I happen to like the Trader Joe’s next to Clarendon station; it’s my go-to when I’m in the area. For Indian, I like Kadhai in Bethesda. I second the suggestions on Zaytinya and Good Stuff Eatery. MXDC is good for casual Mexican (a block away from Treasury Dept.) and Da Hong Pao for dim sum (14th Street). Supra, near Chinatown, serves authentic Georgian food - so good! Oh, and Amber for Serbian, a couple of blocks from the Clarendon stop; there’s also one on Capitol Hill. And if you’re “homesick”; Old Europe in Wisconsin Avenue does a good job with German and Austrian staples.
Jun 16th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Fra_Diavolo, we've eaten at Jaleo's previously and enjoyed our meals; a return is certainly warranted.

lisaindc, we'll be near to the Clarendon station.

tripplanner001, thanks. It's T-4 days until I touch down. Pack-out commences in a couple of hours, though our house has been deconstructed for days. DS has mentioned MXDC; and the Serbian place sounds great. I have a fondness for Tartare and eagerly await their preparation, and I'll be curious to taste their wines. Our dear Slovenian friends gifted us two cases of Slovenian and Croatian wines that will bob across the ocean, and it will be nice to have a local source, too. I think it might be awhile before I miss Schnitzel, though.
Jun 17th, 2019, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
You mentioned liking José Andrés' Oyamel. Try Jaleo, his Spanish restaurant (same neighborhood).
YES, he just did DineNDash in DC.* I love him and more importantly what he does. He was in Fl before FEMA feeding all the troops and people without a home.*
Jun 17th, 2019, 06:13 AM

You have great options near the Clarendon metro. Ambar is right there on the corner of Wilson and Filmore. Also, check out Lyon Hall, Liberty Tavern and Screwtop Wine Bar. All great options and Lyon Hall has a great selection of food on happy hour everyday (including mussels). Also, head up to Ballston, where new things are opening everyday - True Food Kitchen is wonderful. Enjoy! I love our neighborhood.