Where to visit December 27- January 2?

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to visit December 27- January 2?

Dh will have off December 27-January 2. We live in northwest Florida so we won't have a direct flight. Our priorities are to go to a city that will take less than five hours flight time, and we will only stay four nights. We went to New Orleans last year, and Las Vegas two years before. We just came back from Chicago and loved it, but don't wish to return so soon. I think NYC might be too crowded that time of year. Any other suggestions? DH doesn't want a beach resort or a ski resort. Suggestions please? What we loved about Chicago was the ease of using the public transportation, and the fact that we booked Swissotel for $88.00 per night through quikbook!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM

I think NYC is wonderful that time of year. With the stores decorated spectacularly on 5th Ave., Rockafeller Center complete with 'the tree', not to mention New Years Eve, whether in Times Sq. or not, it's almost magical. However, you are right that crowds certainly are a factor. Another city I love is Boston. It's significantly smaller, with lots of charm, winding streets [formerly cow paths] and very few skyscrapers. If you are at all interested in history, this could be a good choice. Charleston has a lot of charm, as well as Savannah, and both of those would be warmer choices. Wilmington, NC also has a lot of charm, and could actually have quite pleasant weather. All three of the last cities mentioned have trolley transportation, and are quite easy to get around, at least, in the historic areas. Good luck with your decision!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

We are leaning toward about Boston, Philadelphia, or DC. Our main concerns, other than airline and hotel costs, are crowds and weather. If you have ever read any of my posts, you will know that DH and I both grew up in the deep South and currently live in northwest Florida. We have never been in weather below 32 degrees for more than a few hours. But, we are willing to try new experiences.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Without a direct flight San Diego may night fit your 5 hour window, but it is a place to consider. Stay downtown at any of several nice hotels. You've got the beach, but not a resort-type hotel, lots to see and do in and around San Diego (Wild Animal Park, Zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town) good restaurants, drive Temecula wine county, etc.
Santa Fe, NM is another possible if you don't mind the cold and snow of winter in the NM moutains.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! Yesterday I checked a website that gave the average temp for late December in Boston, and it was something like 33 degrees. That is the average -- DH and I are not used to those kinds of temps and most of what we want to do in Boston will be outside.
I would love to go to San Diego -- will check airfares.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Philly and NY will be slightly warmer but not by much. Not sure about DC. Would second the SD option.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM

gracie, your situation sounds similar to mine. DH and i have the week before new year's off work and want to vacation within a 10-hour drive of our home in southwest alabama. does anyone have a suggestion for a destination? we're looking at asheville, nc; austin, tx; and hot springs, arkansas; but nothing has grabbed us. priorities are: decent affordability, pretty scenery and a relaxing vibe. not necessarily looking for a city break. went to savannah and charleston last year. would love to find a savannah-like place for this trip!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:06 AM

How about San Antionio? The River Walk is absolutely beautiful there, perfect for being outdoors and strolling. Tons of great restaurants/bars, lots of good music. You may want to consider that. Boston would be wonderful also. I grew up on Cape Cod and always thought it was such a fantastic city, but re: the weather, you are right, it is cold, and that breeze from the water goes right through you! Alot of times the worst of it is not until Feb./March, so may not be to bad, but you are taking a chance.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Don't come to Philly at that time of year, the weather is dreadful--dark and depressing.

Philly is best in May or June.

I wouldn't want to be in Boston at that time of year either. (I went to prep school in Boston and my sister lives in Cambridge--the cold could kill you.)

I would go to someplace like Austin or San Antonio or maybe even Charleston.

Thin
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I was wondering if you'd considered the weather! Chicago at that time will be dark by 4 or 5 pm (it is in the far east of the Central time zone) and will be probably in the 20's if you are lucky.

Really anything north of, well you, will not be that exciting that time of year.

I think San Diego would be great for you.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

bamabelle -- I've enjoyed San Antonio and the hotels aren't that expensive.
Wondering where you are in Alabama? I grew up in southeast Alabama (Opp.)
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Albequerque and los alamos might be intersting.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Have never been to NYC in this time frame, just in early December. But I have read other Fodorites say that the crowds are not so bad right after the holiday. That said, there is nothing more exciting than NYC at Christmas. Store windows, Rock Center, The Metropolitan museum, churches. This would be my choice.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
nlg

I would second (or third) San Antonio. Our son and his wife live in New Hampshire and we would never visit them in the winter-we are going in October and it is beautiful then(they live about an hour from Boston). We loved San Antonio and it should be nice in Dec-Jan.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Weather in San Antonio and Austin should be similar to the weather you are having in NW Florida at the time - meaning it could be 70 while you are there, or it could be 40. I probably would choose SA over Austin at that time of year (at other times I would rank Austin higher), but one is an easy day trip from the other (about 60-90 minutes each way, depending on your origin and destination in each city). Plus, the decorations on the Riverwalk beat Austin's decorations.

Weather in Albuquerque will be colder than Texas (could even have freezing temps and maybe snow), and Santa Fe is colder than Albuquerque. The decorations in both will be beautiful, and there is nothing like the smell of piñon-wood fires. There is a train between ABQ and SF to make a day trip easy. I'd skip Los Alamos in winter, though.

None of those destinations should be crowded when you want to visit.

I agree that unless there is something specific you really want to see (e.g., a particular museum exhibit rather than just the museum itself, or NYC with all the lights), save the trips up North for May-October. I am originally from NW Florida and live near Boston now, so I speak from experience!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM

gracie - I'm in Mobile. It's kind of a traveler's handicap that we're so unacustomed to cold weather - it makes finding winter vacation spots pretty difficult! DH and I are envisioning a cabin in the woods somewhere, and we'll see where we end up (Asheville? Helen, GA? Mt. Cheaha State Park? We're up for anything with a fireplace & jacuzzi!)
But San Ant is definitely on my list, as are Austin, San Diego, and Key West. Just not sure it'll be this trip. Still can't decide...
Have you narrowed down your spots?
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Come visit me in Nashville, December 27th is my birthday! Not as warm as Texas but it can be pretty nice around that time.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Bamabelle15-- I just visited with sorority sisters at Orange Beach this past week and one of them mentioned a great cabin near Huntsville. This friend had recommended it to another friend who was having a romantic weekend and the couple were very happy. Do you want me to find out more?