Oahu, Hawaii opinion

Search

Oahu, Hawaii opinion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu, Hawaii opinion

I was hoping to get everybody's opinion on a couple of activities in Oahu.

1. Which do you think is a better way of seeing Pearl Harbor....doing it on your own? Doing the Pacific Aviation Museum & USS Arizona tour or the Pearl Harbor, Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl Tour?

2. Is doing the Oahu Grand Circle Island Tour, that lasts for 9hrs worth it? I will probably only be in Oahu for probably a total of 2-1/2 days.

3. And finally has anybody done the North Shore Shark Adventure? Is it worth the money and time?

Any suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Take the shark adventure off your list. Hawaii just passed a ban on those shark/cage operations.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know. Then how about the Dolphin Encounter or Swim? Has anyone done that?
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM

You can do the USS Arizona on your own, a tour is unnecessary.

Deb
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I am not sure all shark tours have been banned on Oahu yet.

The Hawaii Kai neighborhood board has passed a resolution calling for a statewide ban on shark tour operations - which came from heavy opposition earlier this year to suspicion that a shark tour was going to start up in Maunalua Bay.

Supposedly there is some sort of task force looking into legislation that would ban shark tours, but to my knowledge it hasn't been passed yet. Maui County has advanced a bill that would ban shark tours, though - I think it will have a full reading later this month.

I haven't done the shark tour myself, though I know several people who have. Bobbing around in a cage doesn't appeal to me - I prefer to see sharks out while diving.

If you're looking to do a dolphin encounter, some of those tours literally chase the dolphins around, which is just wrong. Supposedly some of the tours are more "wildlife friendly" and handle the dolphin sightings more responsibly, but I don't have any specific recommendations.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM

If you rent a car, you can do the Arizona memorial on your own, for free, then continue from there around the island. You'll be able to stop when you want, eat when you see a good spot, and the only thing you'll miss will be the driver's talk. Get a good guidebook and do it yourself!

If you don't want to drive though, the circle tours are not bad, just long and everywhere you stop, you'll have a busload of people there with you.

My daughter did the north shore shark tour with friends visiting from the mainland who insisted. She said it was interesting, but she felt bad afterwards for supporting them against the better interests of the community.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM

My sister lived on Oahu for over 20 years, and I visited her often. I alsways took the regular buses to get around and see things. WOrked great every time I went.
I would do anything that goes against local interest and respect for the fragile existing environment- both flora and fauna- and that includes "Shark Tours". It's a special enough place that you'll find plenty of amazing stuff without that.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Go see this movie. Then come back and tell us that you would even consider participating in a "dolphin encounter".

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=111330391

R5
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM

I visited the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor and took the Aviator's Tour. It was an extensive, behind the scenes look at all the planes and hangars that are available at the Museum. The Museum also has an excellent dinner that me and my wife enjoyed after seeing the entire Museum. If you can, make sure not to miss the Museum's flight simulators as well for a cheap and thrilling experience.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM

My idea of a dolphin encounter is sitting in a kayak, enjoying the beauty of the area with no agenda other than being out and about, when all of a sudden out of nowhere, a pod of spinner dolphins erupt from the water right in front of you. This was on Hawaii Island. Wowee!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Jake, if you aren't going to rent a car, then by all means do the tour. I think it would be a shame to visit Oahu without seeing the South Shore and the North Shore (and the Pali Lookout and Hanauma Bay and...). But if you can, rent a car, and spend a looooonnnggg day stopping and swimming at every beach that appeals to you! You can snorkle at Sharks Cove (not to see sharks) and maybe see turtles. I'd be frustrated on a tour because I'd want to be getting in the water at every stop. But you'll have to do some homework to be sure that you see everything!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM

I did the Arizona and Missouri (make sure you do both) on one day and took the bus there, which was easy. If you're going around the island, rent a car for the day and do it yourself. That way, you can spend as much time as you like at the various beaches and stops along the way and won't be beholden to a tour schedule. And it is a full day. I wouldn't combine it with Hanauma Bay or Diamondhead or Pearl Harbor.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can do Pearl Harbor on your own. I wouldn't want to commit 9 hours to a bus tour when you only have a couple days, but that's more a personal choice. I would not do shark cages or dolphin swims either one, for the reasons mentioned already. Again personal outlook but I think those kinds of things are not good/right.