Search

Where to Vacation in August?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Vacation in August?

Hi All,

My husband and I both 30 and 31 are looking to take a vacation in August from a Friday-Wednesday. We live close to newark airport so traveling is pretty convenient from there. We will be cruising in March in the Caribbean and visiting family in California in July. We love adventure, sightseeing, visiting spas, beaches, dinner & wine, and some down time. I know this may be vague to start, but Im really just looking for some help coming up with ideas for trips to start considering and comparing. Would love to hear your recommendations and ideas! Thanks so much!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM

Yes, your request is vague - there are hundreds, if not thousands, of places you can visit in August from Newark.

It would help if you could give us your budget for accommodations, food and airfare.

Also, are you looking to stay within the US or are you willing to travel outside the country (perhaps Canada, Mexico or Central America)?

What's your maximum "travel time" to reach your destination?

We also need more info about your likes and dislikes - sorry but you can find adventure, sightseeing, spas, and have dinner & wine just about everywhere. When you say "beaches, do you mean "ocean" beaches or will lake beaches fill the bill?
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I will try to give more info......As far as budget, we will use miles for flights and we arent too concerned about the budget. We prefer 4-5 star hotels or resorts. We would be willing to travel to Canada, within the US, and Caribbean. We would love to visit Europe, but dont really have enough vacation time to do so. We would have to leave on a Friday and must return on a Wednesday in order for my husband to make it back for his MBA summer class on Thursday. We are willing to travel as far as we can, but keeping in mind we will have only 4 full days to enjoy our destination. We travel to California often to see family and enjoy the wineries, We tend to visit warmer climate areas as we do love the beach/ocean and snorkeling. We love the Caribbean for its weather, relaxing atmosphere. We love cruises because there is ALWAYS so much to do....dinners, shows, excursions, spa visits and many places to see. We will be visiting DC for a wedding this summer and will stay to sightsee. We spent 10 days in Italy last summer exploring Amalfi Coast, Capri, Rome, and Florence enjoying the food, wine, art, history, and culture. I hope this helps a little bit more. Again, I really am looking for ideas or even interested in hearing where your memorable vacations took place.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM

It's pricey but I'd go to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. You can fly into Boston, or even take the train up and fly from Boston onto either of the islands. Travel will be short so you'll have enough time to spend once you're there. Both islands have plenty to do. August is prime time though so in addition to paying for it choices of lodging may be filling up already.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:33 AM

I'd fly to Jackson and do Jackson Hole and Yellowstone.

or Denver and drive to Breckenridge or Aspen.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM

Doesn't it depend on where you can get flights to? Don't know who your miles are with, but I have a hard time finding flights on Delta.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
1. Quebec City - beautiful, historic, great food. Stay at the Chateau Frontenac and walk along the promenade in the evening.

2. Portland, Oregon - visit the Columbia Gorge, Mount Hood. Windsurfing at Hood River, lots of wineries and microbreweries, plenty of places to stay, ranging from plush to funky. The flights are long, but PDX is within minutes of many outdoor pursuits, so you're not wasting time "getting there" from the airport.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the ideas....Im going to start researching so please keep the ideas coming!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM

Look at the Banff area in Canada or since you are going for a relatively short times you might like Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Look too at Charleston, SC and/or the surrounding barrier islands like Hilton Head, Edisto or Kiawah.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM

If you don't mind another city visit, consider Chicago. My first thoughts were to suggest Quebec City, the Old City or the Outer Banks, Hilton Head, Charleston, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM

First of all, it's August. That means HOT and MUGGY in many parts of the USA. Charleston, and even Chicago, are places I would not recommend in August. Or any place in the southeast, southwest, lower midwest, or lower mid-atlantic regions.
However, it would be a good time to visit places that, normally, would be inconceivable even in May -- places like Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Banff, northern midwest, Vancouver, Maine.

> adventure, sightseeing, visiting spas, beaches, dinner & wine
Hmmmm.
Oregon Coast may well meet all your needs. If it gets too dull, head inland to the Cascades. If it gets too exciting, head for vacation towns of the coast. If you want COMPLETELY laid back, head for Portland.
Seattle / Vancouver would also mesh well with your needs, except for the lack of beaches. Even on hot days, the water at the beaches is freezing cold. If you can forgo sandy beaches, these area will be just about perfect.
Well, except for one thing: distance. *IF* you don't mind flying cross-country for a six-day trip, then this would be good. If you'd rather stay on the East Coast, then a high quality resort in northern New England would be ideal. Can't recommend any of those; I'm a camper type who views Hampton Inns as a luxury stay.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM

I'd go to Iceland...wonderful, exciting country and not a long flight.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:33 PM

PaulRabe makes a very good point. I thought, for some reason, this vacation was planned for April. August in Hilton Head is oppressive! Quebec City would be a much better choice.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 05:22 AM

Wherever there isn't too much fricking humidity.

Obviously like here in San Diego - or driving up the beautiful Cal Coast - and ditto for the Oregon Coast.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much....loving these ideas! SO much to research!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM

DebitNM has a great point, which airline and are you able to find flights with points on your dates?

Using Delta as an example, the shortest flight I saw from Newark to Portland was 7.5 hours total, and that was an early morning departure. Most flights were over 8 hours.

I was going to suggest Door County in Wisconsin - fly into Chicago and drive up the coast of Lake Michigan. There are resorts, wineries, beaches, plenty of places to stop along the way if you don't want to spend the whole time in Door County.

However, you'd have to fly into Chicago and drive 4.5 hours - and again using Delta as an example, there are no non-stops from Newark to O'hare so flight times are over 4 hours. It would be a nice trip if you can find better flights, but before you spend a lot of time researching destinations, I'd look at your airline and how long it'll take you to get to some of these areas.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

We have miles using United....so I will check that out. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM

I love the idea of the Canadian Rockies - if you can get there conveniently. They are a sight to behold.