Where to stop between Atlanta and Destin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back to Atlanta from the Destin area and was looking for a nice place to stop along the way. Last year we happened upon this really nice outdoor shopping plaza somewhere near Dothan, AL but for some reason we must have taken another route this time around. Now it's driving me nuts. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think there was a B&N books, a few cafes, even some upscale furniture stores and it was literally right next to the highway.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Sweettea,
I was just in Dothan this weekend and can't recall any such place. Dothan doesn't have a Barnes and Noble. Is it possible you went through Montgomery instead of Dothan? There is a B&N on the Eastern Blvd in Montgomery.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Maybe that's where I was. I just can't remember how I wound up there and now I want to find it again! Is there a very nice outdoor mall in Montgomery that is right alongside the highway? I even remember
an upscale kids' furniture store, a cute little sandwich shop and a restaurant/bar with a great patio. I feel like I came across Brigadoon and now I can't find it anymore! But tell me...is Montgomery anywhere on the way to Seaside/Destin from Atlanta?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM

There is an upscale shopping center right off I-85 in Montgomery called Shoppes at EastChase or something like that, but I don't think there is a B&N there.
Some folks go through Montgomery when traveling the Atlanta-Destin route. My SIL lives in Altanta and has a second home in Fort Walton Beach. She takes I-85 from Atlanta to Montgomery, where she picks us I-65 and travels south to Georgianna, AL and then takes some back roads to FWB.

Because I live about 40 miles east of Destin, I take Hwy 231 to Dothan, then Hwy 431 to Phenix City, then I-185 to I-85.
I would think it would be would be going out of your way to go through BOTH Montgomery and Dothan if you are headed to Destin or FWB from Atlanta.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

that sounds like it! I'm going to do some further investigation...maybe it wasn't a B&N but it was a bookstore.
Thanks for helping me!