Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay-Upper West Side or Chelsea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we will be visiting New York for the first time in November at the end of a cruise. There will be 2 couples, a third couple may also join us. Naturally we will be doing the usual tourist activities and plenty of walking.

I have looked at so much accommodation, it's all become a blur! Seems like we will have to pay around $300 per night plus taxes to get something we feel comfortable with - but cheaper would be nice

I have come up with two places at opposite ends:
Hotel Beacon - UWS
http://beaconhotel.com/
or
The Inn on 23rd - Chelsea
http://beaconhotel.com/
I would love the pro's & con's of each area/accommodation etc. We will be leaving from JFK.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:37 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...or-chelsea.cfm
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:41 AM

The Beacon is a hotel, the Inn on 23rd is a small B&B type place in a mid-block townhouse. They are very different. If you are 3 couples, you will be more likely to find rooms together at the Beacon, which has more rooms. November is high season in New York, so your price point is difficult. I'd book something now that you can cancel without penalty since this is so far in advance. Then you can look around for (and may even find if it's before Thanksgiving) a better deal later.

It's hard to know how you came to these particular two choices, but your price point is rather low for that time of the year. Frankly, I feel you might be more comfortable in a more traditional mid-range chain hotel like a Hilton Garden Inn or a Courtyard by Marriott, but I don't know your criteria other than price. There are many decent chain hotels now in the blocks between Penn Station and Times Square west of 7th Avenue, and some are good values; most are new, and some include breakfast. Look at some of those, which may be in your price range. There are also several good chain hotels along 8th Avenue west of Times Square.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM

A lot depends on what type of area you want to be in. And the hotels you have picked are apples and oranges.

Most of midtown is business-oriented and the Times Square area is frantic/frenetic.

The Beacon is a traditional, older hotel that has been recently updated. The UWS is a mid to upscale residential area close to Central Park and many major museums (on either side of the Park). There are a ton of inexpensive/moderate neighborhood restaurants of every possible ethicity and the avenues are lined with shops (some chain, some local) as well.

As mentioned the Inn on 23rd is really a sort of B&B - very small and with a personal touch. This area is mixed business and residential, more trendy, also lots of restaurants - but not so close to major museums/sights.

Personally you couldn't pay me to stay near Times Square - but I'm a native and it's one of the few parts of the city I really dislike.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I stayed at the Beacon last June, with four girlfriends. We had the 2 bdrm/2 bath suite, which was perfect. It had a small kitchen, living room, and dining area.

The hotel is very well-kept and well-managed. The neighborhood is great for a low-key semi-residential experience. There is a great market across the street, plus coffee shops, etc. nearby. Also has a subway station about a block away. And a couple of blocks to the Lennon memorial at Central Park.

I highly recommend it. You could save $$$ by sharing a suite with a couple, if that would work for you.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your replies. I do realise they are very different types of accommodation, I am keeping an open mind and are open to all suggestions.

I mainly picked these two as a jumping off point, Chelsea area from MaiTai Tom's recent report and also peaceout's review of the Beacon. We usually stay in B&B's and apartments in Europe so I guess I was looking for something similar.

We will be there in early November, leaving the week before Thanksgiving. We aren't used to paying so much for accommodation so I am finding that a challenge - but it is New York! I couldn't agree more, I do not want to stay in Times Square.

I will look at all your suggestions so thank you for responding.

One of our party has come up the The Wellington Hotel on 7th Ave, right near Carnegie Hall - any thoughts?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"We usually stay in B&B's and apartments in Europe so I guess I was looking for something similar."

Check out the Chelsea Pines Inn where we stayed, You might even feel like you're in Europe, because it seemed half the guests or more were from Europe. The guys who run the place are terrific. Very friendly and helpful. There is no elevator, but they can help you with luggage if need be. Subway stop is 1/2 block away. It's not the Ritz, but it ain't $500 either. Beds were comfortable, it was quiet and the shower worked great (I don't ask much more than that for a hotel). Mary, Kim, Tracy and I liked it a lot. Charlie Chaplin might give you a tail hug, too.

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM

I like Doug's suggestions for newer mid-priced hotel chains for this trip. 3 separate rooms = 3 separate bathrooms!
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, most certainly 3 separate bathrooms!

Any suggestions of some sites that I can check for the newer mid-priced chains as mentioned by Doug?

Only criteria is that it is clean, has an elevator and bar fridge in the room if possible.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:21 AM

First try going right to the hilton garden inn site and the courtyard by marriot websites. Once you hone in on an area you'd like to base yourselves check quikbook.com, expedia and travelocity for discounts. Priceline bidding wouldn't be appropriate for this group.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bowsprit, that's great. I appreciate your suggestions.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Check the Hampton Inn Times Square North or the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th. Another good option would be the Staybridge Suites Times Square.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you starrs, I like the look of the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn. I am slowly narrowing it down.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM

kayak.com will have all the chains and scans a bunch of different websites for best prices. Booking.com often has very good rates. But Nov. is a pricey time and while I'd normally encourage the 3 separate rooms, you may wind up paying $300/night per room or $900/night which is crazy. I would contact the Beacon if you haven't already and get a quote for the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom plus another studio suite.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM

PS I think it's more about where you can find the bestm most comfortable set up/deal for your group and less about the location. Maybe use location as a way to narrow options once you've got your choices.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM

I had a trip to New York planned last April and had reservations at the Beacon, but had to cancel trip. I did quite a bit of research before booking the hotel. The Beacon seemed fairly reasonably priced (compared to New York hotels!), and I liked the idea of a kitchenette, as I was staying a week. Most of the reviews I read were favorable. My main focus for the trip was to be museum visiting, so the location seemed great for me, and I did NOT want to be near Times Square. I've been to New York many times, but MANY years ago, and I liked to idea of a somewhat residential area.
Anyway, I hope to reschedule the trip in the coming months, and plan to stay at the Beacon. I can't remember exactly, but I think the prices were less when I booked last year. Of course, that's the way it always is!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Hello, thanks for your replies. I will check out kayak.com and booking.com today. Yes, mclaurie you have hit the nail on the head, its finding the best set up etc that suits us all, very good point.

I really love the idea of the Beacon and keep coming back to it but one couple has been to New York before and doesn't want to stay in the UWS as he says it's too far away from the main sites we want to see. We would be using the subway all the time, I don't see this as a problem. I guess it's hard trying to please everyone. I have a feeling we may be staying at the Beacon with one couple and the third couple might stay somewhere that suits them.

But I shall still check a few more places. Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Without knowing what main sights you want to see it's hard to comment on a specific location. But - in general - sights are spread out all over the city - and what's really important is a hotel with good subway access.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, nytraveler. We are not into art, but do enjoy museums. Love walking so the Highline is a must. Food walking tour Chelsea Markets/Greenwich. Walking back towards Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island ferry, wandering Battery Park, visiting World Trade Memorial site. Walking in Central Park. Rockettes Christmas show at Radio City, a show on Broadway. Top of the Rock.

So your point about good subway access is very valid, I shall keep that in mind.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Not all, but much of what you're planning to do can be found downtown. Take a look at the Courtyard Marriott on Varick St.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -