Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay - Renton, Kent, SeaTac, Lynnwood?

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'll be traveling to the Seattle area soon. To save money on hotel and parking, I'm thinking about staying outside of Seattle since I'll have a car and will have a lot of freedom in terms of when to drive into the city. Which towns outside of Seattle do you recommend out of Renton, Kent, SeaTac, Lynnwood, Bother, etc? I looked at Bellevue/Redmond hotels, but they are still too expensive...
Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Out of those choices, I say Lynnwood. There are many different restaurants in Lynnwood, and it's pretty safe around there. I drive to Lynnwood a couple times a week and it seems ok to me.

Renton and SeaTac can be dicey. Kent seems kind of far to Seattle. Others may have a different opininon. (I've only lived here 1 year.)
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Just out of curiousity, did you try some of the hotels on the I-90 corrider in Bellevue? These are an easy 12 minutes of downtown Seattle and are less expensive than the downtown hotels. I've been in the Candlewood Suites, and it's fine. It is off the road and would be relatively quiet. There is a brand new Silver Cloud at Eastgate. I'd ask about a room facing the quiet side, as it is very near I-90 at a big ramp. There is also a Days Inn that I know nothing about, but suspect it is less expensive. Again, ask for rooms away from the highway noise. There is also an Embassy Suite in the area. It would be quieter, too, but, unless you get a special deal, is likely to be more expensive.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:13 AM

We stayed at the Bellevue Days Inn and it was very nice. While we are not usually fans of Days Inn and rarely stay there, we chose this one for budget reasons. It was similar to a comfort inn or holiday inn express and also included a nice cont'l bfst with freshly squeezed oj. It was an easy 15 min. drive to the city.

If you travel outside o
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:16 AM

oops, stupid computer.....

ANYWAY. If you travel outside the city to the olympic pennisula, check out Pt. Townsend. Its a lovely victorian town with lots of charming shoppes and restaurants. We stayed at the Harborside Inn across from the bay. Nice view, pool and free bfst.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Just happened to drive by the Days Inn today and noticed it is set back from the road and right across from the Embassy Suites, so it is in a good location, tucked away from the highway, but right next to access to I-90 as Ellen notes.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
DB

Try the Holiday Inn at Issaquah, it is near I-90 and a short commute to Seattle.

For something more upscale, the Embassy Suites further up the road (near I-90) in Bellevue is nice.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Keep in mind that it isn't just the distance, but the traffic that will increase your commute times.

I just was in the area this past weekend. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Lynnwood on exit 181 (or was it 182?) It was only about 15 miles north of Seattle, but took us nearly an hour to get there due to the super heavy traffic through Seattle at 3pm on Friday. Heading back on Saturday at 6 pm there was little traffic and we flew past Seattle.

The hotel was decent, with snacks in the pm and full brackfast buffet included in the $119 price. We had a room with 2 king beds and a sleeper couch in the living room.

Only problem was the noise as it is built around an artium and the noise travelled! Parents yelling down from the top floors to their kids, kids playing the grand piano ( at 8am on Saturday morning )and kids running around the halls. Did I mention there were lots of kids? They even make you sign a waiver when you arrive saying you won't have parties in your room, won't make noise in the open area and won't sneak huge groups into your rooms!

Our room was on the side away from the freeway, so we had no road noise.

My daughter stayed at Hampton Inn in Lynwood on the next off ramp. it was over by the mall, and she said it was much quieter. Her location was in the midst of all the big box stores, and as she was with a college sports team it worked well for them.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I should mention that I'm visiting Seattle to hunt for an apartment, so perhaps I should stay near the neighborhood I might settle in. That said, which area is better neighborhood to live in - South of Seattle or North of Seattle? It seems that my budget won't allow me to live in the city or on the east side, so I'm looking at either north (lynnwood/bothell?) or south (renton/kent?). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Welcome Sleepless. I'm no expert on real estate, but I do have a suggestion. Check out Desmoines, which is to the south of Seattle, and west of Seatac, on Puget Sound. It is less expensive than other communities near the water and is within easy access to downtown. You don't have to go on I-5 to get into town, which is a major advantage. They're going to build a way-cool mall like U Village near there soon. It's up and coming, but hasn't arrived.