Where to stay on Cape in July?

May 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay on Cape in July?

I'm traveling to the Cape (Jul 6-9) and looking for suggestions for accomodations. I would like something on the bay side (I think). Any areas with enough to do you can walk to dinner/entertainment in the evening?
I don't like well worn accomodations but would like to keep the price reasonable as it will be 3 nights. B&B would be fine. I'm thinking somewhere central? I don't have a perspective on how long it takes to get from one end to th other (1 hr-2 hr?). We will have a car as we are driving down from Boston. Any help, please?
May 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM

I'm partial to Provincetown, at the tip of the Cape. And many will gasp when I say this, but I stayed at the Best Western Chateau Motor Inn.

It was a nice walk to town. Was about $150/night when we booked it last summer, but very strict cancellation policy. The rooms were nice, large, and comfortable, and a quick drive to Race Point (and a long drive to the Pilgrim Memorial Monument due to summer traffic).

Maybe a search on Travelocity or Expedia could be of help on the Cape.

Sorry I'm not much help. Except for that one time, I usually stay with friends in Truro.
May 17th, 2006, 07:27 AM
ltt

did my first trip to the cape last summer. not on the bay side but i loved chatham and if i returned, i'd stay there. beautiful place and nice and central to explore other areas. personally, i thought provincetown was nice for a day visit but would not have wanted to stay there 3 nights.
May 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM

May I ask a few questions to help you narrow down your choices. I like the Chatham and Provincetown ideas but think some of it will depend on your interests, tastes:

Are you travelling alone? with a friend? with kids?

What do you like to do? Simply hang on the beach? Go biking? Nature? Shopping?

What's your budget per night?

We have a home in Brewster and have covered most of the territory from Dennis to Ptown so I'd like to be helpful.
May 17th, 2006, 09:03 AM
bonniebroad

mlb73, I apologize for breaking into your thread but would love to ask ccrosner a question, also??? We are driving from North of Boston (visiting family), then will drive very early one morning to New Bedford, be there no later than 9:00 a.m. to see the Whaling Museum and anything else of interest. Then we'll drive over to the Hyannis area in early afternoon to spend the night, and catch the ferry to Nantucket early Wednesday.

We're planning to stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Hyannis, about three miles from the Harbor. Does that sound like a good plan to you or should we plan to overnight somewhere else in the area? I'm assuming this Holiday Inn is in a decent area ... Thanks for any ideas you might have!

May 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Bonnie, What day of the week will you be staying overnight in Hyannis? If it's not on a weekend (and thus requiring a 2 night minimum), I have better suggestions than the Holiday Inn.
May 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
bonniebroad

Nina, it will be a Tuesday night ... thanks for any suggestions!

May 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM

For something much cuter and charming and in a nice neighborhood near the water, I suggest these 2 cottage colonies, either Captain Gosnold Village (less than a mile from the ferry), or Harbor Village cottages at the entrance to Hyannisport. The Harbor Village cottages are absolutely adorable, but only rent weekly during the season. If you go in June they might rent nightly.

Wherever you choose, definitely drive to Hyannisport, where the Kennedy's live. It's like another world from downtown Hyannis and most people never see it. Drive out over the causeway and see how the other half lives...
http://www.harborvillage.com/
http://www.captaingosnold.com/
May 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM
bonniebroad

Nina, both places look very charming but require at least 2 to 3 nights stay. We were in Hyannisport about 36 years ago to see the Kennedy compound, when we lived in South Weymouth for a year! My DH was working so hard then that we only got to tour New England on Sundays so we didn't cover too much but I do remember that I thought Marblehead was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, with all the sails billowing. I love New England, could easily live up there with you but my DH hates cold weather so we'll be staying in the South! Thanks for all your suggestions ...

May 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM

bonniebroad,

I just checked the Holiday Inn website and found the location in Hyannis. It's along the strip of stores, hotels, malls, that I expected and would think it would be fine (although not scenic) for a quick overnight. My sense is that you plan to take an early ferry to Nantucket so location is a priority.

Kudos to you for going to the New Bedford Whaling Museum. It is fantastic! I worked with them as a consultant for several years and are proud of their many accomplishments. There used to be a cute little coffee/lunch shop across the street that might still be good for lunch.

The Hyannisport suggestion is a good one. Another lovely area (with big $$$) that's not too far is Osterville. Very quaint, wealthy Cape Cod.

The other option is to go the Nantucket from Harwichport (can't remember the name of the boat--Freedom?--you could google it). Would be much less congested and Harwich and Harwichport are more quintessential "Cape Cod" than Hyannis. But your plans as is are fine.

Enjoy!