Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Expedia Relists WooGo Lincoln Center as Available Hotel!!

May 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Unbelievable.
May 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Neopolitan

They also continue to show WooGoo Central Park Tempo apartments. (Is this or is this not your original location?) I have sent an email explaining my total lack of confidence in Expedia since they continue to represent properties that they KNOW are total rip-offs and which follow illegal practices.

May 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Lincoln Center is where we stayed. My mind is still reeling... this has to be one of the most flagrant disregards for law I have ever seen from a company.

The rating is now 1/2 star. Maybe if they are going to help continue to illegally evict those tenants that's the least they could have done.
May 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

For the history leading up to this event, please see ShameOnExpedia.com
May 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Neopolitan

I already got a form email back from Expedia about my rant that I have no faith in them since they continue to falsely represent lodging that is both illegal and misrepresented. The email said they are sorry I had problems with their site, their goal is to provide the highest standards. . . .blah, blah, blah. I replied that the form email only showed me they really don't care if their customers get ripped off as I KNOW they are aware of the problems with this company, yet now they actually defend their booking them.

May 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I'm outraged. I need help --

any thoughts or how to better organize the message or my website(s) would be great. My biggest weakness is poor editing and presentation of information I feel. I welcome any constructive feedback or ideas or volunteers (legal, design or otherwise) that might assist us is stoping this.
May 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

In another setback, Google dropped our www.WooGoSucks.com ads; "At this time, Google policy does not permit ad text that advocates against an individual, group, or organization"

The keyword "WooGo" is now suspended in my account, meaning I can no longer run the "Save 100%" ads with it. Perhaps if it was ran as WooGo "Review" ad pointing to www.WooGone.com, it would not be ~advocating~ against, but advertising a reviw site? Anyone can run keyword 'WooGo' ads for about .01 per click.
May 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM

What a couple of outrages.

I've never thought of booking agencies such as Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc to be any more than that. I usually just check their sites to find the various hotels in the vicinity of my visit, then check individual sites after that.

I now know that all I can really depend upon Expedia for a price. Not for service, not for quality, just to find me a location and a price. I've realized that "buyer beware" always applies, but the relisting of WooGo confirms it in such a big way ... that it appears that Expedia is just prostituting themselves out for a commission.

Has google stoped droping all references to the website, or just advertisements?? Keep up the good fight.
May 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Just the ads. Repeating request for help, thanks.
May 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM

How about taking to an attorney about some kind of class action suit against WooGoo or Expedia, for false advertising and misrepresentation of facilities. Also I would suggest checking with the Department of Housing in the city about what the plans are for WooGoo, since what the company is doing is clearly illegal.
May 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
emd

The class action is a possibility. In the last two months I have gotten notification of class actions against Starwood (that one was a notification of settlement bc they had charged "resort fees" for some properties without disclosing it beforehand), Sears for my Kenmore Calypso washer, General Electric for my defective freezer on my 4 yr old refrigerator (and I am going to get a new refrigerator from that class action as I have a completely defective freezer and fit the criteria for the class), and for Epson printer cartridges because they are not recyclable. Your case has to be certifiable as a class, and a lawyer can tell you about that.
May 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

One lawyer I have spoken with is of the opinion it would be difficult to break the Expedia Terms of Service. Even though the "Expedia Promise" says "You can Rely on Our Information", when you agree to their terms of service, you absolve them of any responsibility whatsoever. It's a shield for them. They obviously don't care about the social costs, the law, nor their so-called "Promise".

It has been suggested that more pressure to the NYC Attorney General to have him initiate the class-action himself, and that is being worked upon.

Any ideas on the website being more effective? I've tried to make it less-personal as it's evolved, but still get questioned about credibility for "excessive whining" and "publicity hungry". I know you can't please everyone, but I just want to make sure the message is not imparied by presentation. Thanks.
May 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Given ibdkb's experience as a defendant in a couple of lawsuits over alleged cybersquatting, I am sure he realizes that Expedia makes it clear that it doesn't guarantee the information on its website.

Read the conditions of use:

http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/legal.asp
May 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM

The Liability portion:

THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, AND SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THIS WEB SITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. IN PARTICULAR, EXPEDIA, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF, AND DISCLAIM LIABILITY FOR INACCURACIES RELATING TO THE INFORMATION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE HOTEL, AIR, CRUISE, CAR AND OTHER TRAVEL PRODUCTS DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PHOTOGRAPHS, LIST OF HOTEL AMENITIES, GENERAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS, ETC.), MUCH OF WHICH INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY THE RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS. HOTEL RATINGS DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE INTENDED AS ONLY GENERAL GUIDELINES, AND EXPEDIA, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE RATINGS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. EXPEDIA, INC., ITS AFFILIATES, AND/OR THEIR RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES ON THIS WEB SITE AT ANY TIME.
May 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

"couple of lawsuits over alleged cybersquatting"

LOL, MikeT, you don't give up. First, those weren't lawsuits, they were Domain Name Disputes. One I initiated, and won, and the other was initiated against me, and I also won against that as well. My 11 yr experience in the domain name industry is not relavent here.

May 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Where is the disclaimer that they don't even have to have real hotels?
May 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

(I'm sure we can all read a TOS on our own, MikeT).

Repeat: One lawyer I have spoken with is of the opinion it would be difficult to break the Expedia Terms of Service. Even though the "Expedia Promise" says "You can Rely on Our Information", when you agree to their terms of service, you absolve them of any responsibility whatsoever. It's a shield for them. They obviously don't care about the social costs, the law, nor their so-called "Promise".

It has been suggested that more pressure to the NYC Attorney General to have him initiate the class-action himself, and that is being worked upon.

Any ideas on the website being more effective? I've tried to make it less-personal as it's evolved, but still get questioned about credibility for "excessive whining" and "publicity hungry". I know you can't please everyone, but I just want to make sure the message is not imparied by presentation. Thanks.
May 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Do you realize you now have NINE threads about this obsession of yours??
May 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM

For the love of Christ move on with your life and let this board move on with other travel-related posts!
May 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Fodor Editors: Are you going to let this degenerate into personal attacks again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO