Where to stay on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I lived on Oahu for 3 years and been to Maui and Kauai, but I'm a moron about the BI. We'll be on Oahu for 4 days in June, then on to the BI for 4 days. Me, wife and two 15 YO girls. At first I thought about renting a house, but wife says the girls probably need some other people around. Interest is mostly on a beach, maybe a day trip to VNP. Like good restaurants. What area should we stay in? Any specific condo recs? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM

While my personal preference is the Keauhou area (south of Kona), to be closer to the better snorkeling beaches, the best sandy/swimming beaches are in the Kohala Coast region (north of the airport). We usually stay at the Kona Coast Resort; moderately priced, well-maintained, large condos in a well-maintained complex.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM

With two 15-yr. olds, I'd stay at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach, right on A-Bay on the Kohala Coast. You'd have pools and restaurants at the resort plus that great beach! But do check the construction there ... I don't know if they've finished some current renovations.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Ag3046

If you are only there for 4 days, I'd suggest a hotel. I love the Hapuna Prince Hotel and it's wonderful beach. The Waikoloa Mariott was having some serious construction when I was there, but it would be worthwhile to check first.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. I apologize for not saying I would prefer a condo to a hotel.

Sceneisle, the Keauhou area sounds nice. Any specific condos there you recommend? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM

"DD": Refer to my original post. I wrote a review on the Kona Coast Resort on the Trip Advisor web-site (hotel user review section). Many others have given this resort a good rating.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Ditch the condo!

Stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village!

Many restaurants! Great Spa! Great pools and a lazy river! Swim with the dolphins!

http://www.hiltonhawaii.com/index.html?WT.srch=1

8-)
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with above. Many activities and great restaurants at the Hilton Waikoloa. We loved our trip there. It seemed like there were lots of young people get together to play volleyball and such.
There are Hilton time shares there as well. You may want to see if you can rent one of those and use the facilites of the hotel grounds.

We would return in a heartbeat!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:19 AM
tmt

Do not leave out a trip to VNP - but that means that you really should stay overnight close to the park so you can walk out to the lava at night - and that takes 3 hours one way.

It will be an experience your children - and you - will never forget. Our photos even came out great at night.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM

I stayed in Kona last year in a condo, the good thing about staying right in Kona is that you have a lot of restaurant choices, shopping, etc nearby, but sandy beaches are really lacking. The Kohala coast is great for beaches, but you will find yourself in larger resort areas not close to a variety of resturants or shopping.

I stayed in Kona and complained about the sandy beaches being 45 minutes away, when I returned, I met someone who had just returned from the Waikoloa area and complained that shopping and restaurants were 45 minutes away. (I did make it to the beach at Waikoloa for a day and there were sea turtles swimming up to the coastline in about 1 foot of water, it was amazing!)

Hard choice to make for sure. But it should be a fun trip no matter where you stay.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM

I have to buck the trend here and strongly recommend against the Hilton Waikoloa. If your kids were younger they might get a kick out of the boat ride, tram ride and dolphin encounter for four days, but at 15 they'll get bored with it after a few hours, and what you'll be left with are hoardes of people -- and a 15 minute walk every time you need to get to your car.

Adjacent to the Hilton are a number of great condo complexes which are much quieter, a few are less expensive as well:

Bay Club
Colony Villas
Fairway Villas
Vista Waikoloa
Shores at Waikoloa
Kolea ($$$$)
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Definitely stay on the Kona side of the island since it rains almost all the time in Hilo. We stayed in condos within walking distance from the Kona shops/restaurants but not exactly in the middle of them so it was nice and peaceful - Castle Kona Reef. It was not the most modern/prettiest condo but we could see the ocean from our balcony and the pool was nice. It was also great to be able to do laundry and have small meals there. If you want something affordable, good location and average this is the way to go. Gives you more money to spend on parasailing .