Big Island - where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is a good place to stay on the Big Island for honeymoon that is not too big or isolated and not populated by tourist?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM

I'd suggest looking at a rental home unless you want hotel ammenities.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM

We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince, and it was on a beautiful beach, not sure if it fits your parameters though because there were tourists there; I agree that a rental home may better give you what you want.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM

What I love about the Hapuna is that it isn't a huge resort and still has a quiet feel to it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM

There are many places to stay on the big island. In town there is the Royal Kona Resort (my favorite) the former Hilton Hotel, but it has gone up alot. Right on the ocean. The other favorite of people I know is the King Kamaamaa Hotel. You can get packages including car at both. Also, there are tons of condos and we like the Kona Coast Resort. The first 2 hotels are right in town so you can walk to town. You can go to places VRBO.com and find places (condos) for rent by owners. Also on ebay, there are very reasonable prices for condos for a week. The Seaside Hotel is one of the oldest and runs about $88 a night. It is right in town also. Alii Drive is the main drive. Up the coast - the Kohala Coast is the Hilton Waikoloa and most families like that.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM

King Kamehameha is the proper spelling of the hotel in Kona.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM

All the major hotels have honeymoon packages (convertible, champagne, breakfast in room, etc.). The Royal Kona Resort has a corner King suite that is very private and beautiful. The Onion House is the former McCormick family house, very unique, over $250 a night. In Keauhou, there are condos to rent and it is less traveled and more private. The Kona Coast Resort fits this. You can go to VRBO.com for private rentals. Puako Beach is my favorite for "away from the crowds." There are oceanfront homes and also condos there, but pricey. If you want cheaper and really away from things, try the Shirakawa hotel in Nahaleuu, in Kau district. You can see it online - about $50 per night. The Volcano House does alot of honeymoon type stuff also.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM

How about the "Onion House" close to Kailua but very private with a gorgeous pool--http://www.onionhousehawaii.com/

We've not stayed there yet but it's on my A-list for the future.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM

You might look at the Kona Village Resort.
www.konavillage.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM

Been going to Hawaii yearly for 12 years. Here's what I'd do: Stay in Hilo for three nights at the Shipman House (B&B). This is "Old Hawaii," mostly locals,tropical atmosphere, volcano, botanical gardens, quaint town, secluded/rocky beaches, can be rainy. Then, drive to the Kohala Coast. The west side of the island is very different: great weather, shopping, resorts, town of Kona, and... lots of tourists. Stay at one of the more quiet (gated?) resort such as Mauna Lani for a few days (expensive but worth it). Visit the Waikoloa (with jumping dolphins, King/Queen Shopping Malls) but don't stay there--this is a tourist haven.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM

You might like this beautiful Bed and Breakast in coffee country called Holualoa Inn (www.holualoainn.com). The property is secluded and beautiful, and the views are gorgeous.

This may not do if you want to be right on the water though.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

Jennifer, don't stay at the King Kamehameha!! it's right in Kona next to the cruise ship dock and is worn out and tacky. It was a real bummer when we were there! If you are willing to try a condo, here's the one we stay at (going for the third time in March) http://www.vrbo.com/36456

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM

If you want to consider a condo/villa rental, we stayed in a spectacular spot that I can highly recommend. The amenities were at the same level as a hotel, but you have all the privacy you could wish for together with gorgeous views. Here's an article I did about the spot http://www.wickedgoodtraveltips.com/?p=34
David the host couldn't have been nicer, and the rate was a veritable bargain.