Where to stay in Victoria BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of our trip to the Northwest in September, we're thinking of spending a couple of days at the Aerie resort in Malahat. We'd appreciate any feedback on pros and cons of staying there vs. in the city of Victoria.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I'm sorry, I can't help with info about Malahat, but we love Victoria and stay at the Delta Hotel right on the harbor. Save a little money by getting a room without a view, but still enjoy the hotel. They have a very good restaurant and breakfast at a table with windows overlooking the harbor is very pleasant, especially on the weekend when the harbor taxis do a ballet to the Blue Danube. The little water taxis are quite inexpensive and handy (the hotel has a pier). We often took them rather than the hotel van, which is also available to guests for free rides throughout Victoria.

I hope I haven't wasted your time, but since your "title" was Where to stay in Victoria, I thought I'd make my suggestion.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure what your requirements are, but we thought the Admiral Inn <http://www.admiral.bc.ca/> had a good location and was reasonably priced. They have a modest breakfast and a computer with internet access, free to guests.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Hi BetsyAnn,

My only experience was last summer and we stayed at the Rosewood Inn. The Inn had lovely rooms and a great location. Unfortunately the included breakfasts were awful. Certainly far below what I've had in other inns and B&Bs!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Have you been to Victoria before? I think that makes a difference--for a first visit, I'd stay in the city. But it also kind of depends on where else you're going and your mix of city vs rural.

And you might want to post this in the Canada forum as well if you haven't already.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Can't help you with Malahat but we love Victoria. It is a beautiful city. We've stayed at the Empress Hotel at the recommendation of a friend and loved it. Even if you don't stay there, go and have afternoon tea there.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM

I checked the Aerie website, and you have a tough choice. We stayed in Victoria and loved it. But we also spent a day traveling to wineries in the Cowichan Valley, in the same area as the Aerie, and it was beautiful.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong. It probably boils down to whether you want a small, charming city location or a more isolated natural beauty setting.

If you choose Victoria, we loved the B&B we stayed in. It's a mile and half from the harbor (town center), a pretty walk mostly through nice neighborhoods. And its a block or two from the Government House, whose grounds are awesome and open to the public. Here's the website:

http://www.abbeymoore.com/

Have a great time!