Where to stay in Santa Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a group of girlfriends considering heading to Santa Fe for a long weekend in June. We'd like a pool, maybe a spa on site. We'd like to be walking distance to restaurants and night life (not necessarily associated with the hotel). Hotel should be nice but doesn't need to be luxurious (Fairmont). Up to $300/night.

Bonus if they have suites or rooms with a sitting area. Or better yet, little cabins/cabanas with living areas, that would be preferred. It'd just be optimal to have a room that we didn't need to sit on the bed to watch tv or hang out.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
annieladd

Check out:
La Fonda
Inn of the Anasazi
La Posada

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM

The Hacienda at the Hotel Santa Fe. They have a spa and suites that are lovely. My husband and I stayed there last week. Suites have fireplaces. A nice continental breakfast is included.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Hi lovesadventure,

La Posada has rooms that can be shared and comfortable for you to lounge in as well as a good spa -- haven't tried the spa. Not my favorite place in Santa Fe but it does have all you are looking for in your trip.

Eldorado Hotel is also in walking distance with a pool and spa available and large rooms if you want to share.

Just a thought but have you considered renting a house in town? You say a group so it sounds like enough to justify renting a house. We've used Kokopelli , Management Associates and www.VRBO.com for house rentals.

Also, if you decide on a hotel, call the group sales office. Don't make your reservations through the reservations number. Even if you will only be reserving 3 rooms you can get good deals and they can reserve specific rooms for you.

I hope you decide upon Santa Fe as it is such a fun place to shop, eat and sight see! And don't miss Ten Thousand Waves Spa and Geronimo restaurant!

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hi Lovesadventure,

I'm glad to hear Santa Fe became one of your choices!

I don't know if you've already been to this site or not, but please check out http://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe...ons/index.html

Also, I would second Beachgirl's recommendation to look at vrbo.com. That's all I use anymore. I've found some great condos and casitas to stay in through that site. The advantage is you don't get the same old, same old. Just make sure you talk to the owner and have a positive gut feeling about them and their place. (Trust your instincts!)

A couple other places with living rooms that I've stayed at are:

Sunterra Resorts Villas de Santa Fe
Camel Rock Suites
Residence Inn by Marriott

Sunterra is off Paseo de Peralta, one of the main streets in town, and about a 5 block walk to downtown in a nice neighborhood. They have full kitchens and living rooms and even a door to close off the bedroom area. (I was in a one bedroom, but I think the 2 bedrooms are the same.)

The other two are not within walking distance of downtown, but The Residence Inn offers some nice mountain views, and the Camel Rock Suites may also. Camel Rock is very affordable too. Both have living room areas and full kitchens.

Good luck with your search.

Heidi

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I agree with Heidi and Beachgirl on vrbo.com. It is all we use too. I cannot imagine not having a fridge, etc. We are going to Santa Fe in May and have already signed a contract for this listing:

http://www.vrbo.com/10816
It is only $600 for the entire week, sure beats hotels!

Beachgirl, we have plans for 10,000 Waves and Geronimos! 'Can't wait!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM

BellaD - what a great price for that rental! It looks beautiful. Let us know what it's like. It's too bad it's not closer to the Plaza, but maybe you wanted it that way.

Lovesadventure & BellaD - be sure to visit El Farol while you're there. It's a Spanish Tapas place on Canyon Road and the food is excellent. A bit pricey if you try a lot of different things, but the sangria is tasty and the Flamenco nights are a blast.

Heidi
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM

I will check it out, thanks Heidi! Being next to the Plaza was not a biggie to us, we would just as soon be in the middle of nowhere.

Is White Sands worth the drive? It will be a full moon the second night we are in New Mexico, I thought it might be cool to visit White Sands then. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:48 AM

BellaD - I've never been to White Sands so I couldn't tell you if it would be worth the 3-4 hour drive from Santa Fe. It sure looks beautiful in photos though. A few other places a little closer to Santa Fe for 'full moon viewing' to consider are:

- White Rock overlook (on the way to Bandelier near Los Alamos) - this is a nice spot to see for miles and there's a good sized parking lot and viewing deck.

- Anywhere up by Hyde Park or the Ski Area.

- The mountains behind St. John's college and the Santa Fe Workshops. You can park at St. John's and hike up to the top of Sun (?) mountain.

- Dinner on the patio at Gabriel's (north of Santa Fe on 285) - excellent guacamole made right at your table and good margarita's too!

And heck, maybe the patio of where you're staying might be wonderful too!

Heidi
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I love Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, but White Sands is incomparable fantastic. However, it is 4 to 5 hours driving time, so you have to stay overnight. I suggest to stay in Las Cruces/Old Mesilla. It is nicer than Alamogordo.
For a hotel in Santa Fe, I love the La Fonda most. It is truly historic and has the most atmosphere. They have very nice suites at affordable rates.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Ike

In of the Five Graces and Inn of the Anasazi are two of the finest hotels in the city............

http://www.fivegraces.com/

http://www.innoftheanasazi.com/