Where to stay in Santa Fe?

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Santa Fe?

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, but I couldn't resist starting my own thread just cause it rhymes!

Anyway, dh & I are planning our anniversary tirp in July to Santa Fe. We'd like to stay somewhere near the center of town so we can walk to dinner, shopping, etc. Like most people, I'd like to get the most bang for my buck money wise - I like a high end experience (nice to be pampered on our one yearly trip w/o the kids) but don't have a completely unlimited budget (though my parents have taken to requesting travel gift certificates as gifts and if I find an absolutely perfect place I could ask the same from them as to help cut the cost).

I want that southwestern Santa Fe feel and I love the idea of a spa in the resort as I see many hotels in the area offer this (though not a requirement). Suggestions?
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM

Check out The Inn on the Alameda. Great location...and supurb rooms.
http://www.innonthealameda.com/

THE best spa experience in Santa Fe has got to be "The Waves"...we have been there many times. http://tenthousandwaves.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM

la posada is pretty neat.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

La Posada looks very nice & was recommended to me by my dad. However I did a price check on their website for the when we will be there (mid-july) and their basic room (which they say is is ideal for the "single traveler") is just under $300/night. Is mid-summer high season for Santa Fe? I know when we visit New Orleans in the summer (definitly NOT high season there) the rates often go down once summer approaches. Any chance this might be the case in Santa Fe as well or am I dreaming?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM

July is in the middle of high season. High is usually June 1 through September 30. Low is Oct 1 through May 31 (except for the holidays). July is a great time to be in Santa Fe so don't let high season deter you.

Also, I second Dick's recommendation for Ten Thousand Waves Spa. Its the BEST! Just a short drive up the road from the plaza. A very relaxing place to have an outdoor tub and spa treatments.

La Posada is a nice location. Also, Inn of the Governor's would give you your southwest feel in room decor and should be a little less than La Posada. Also, check out Inn at Loretto. Nice Santa Fe feel to it and in the plaza area.

Run a search for Santa Fe threads. Lots of helpful information.

Sheila
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Is anyone familiar with the Water Street Inn? When I researched this trip previously that is what I decided on, but I can't find much feedback from people who have been there.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM

Hi snowrooster,

We leave for Santa Fe tomorrow and will stay at the El Dorado Hotel. We were there once before, seven years ago and liked it. There is a spa at the hotel and it is my understanding the hotel recently completed a major renovation project. It may not be what you're looking for, just thought I would mention it. I plan to write a trip report when I return.

Funny, you're going to Philly, too? We leave on the 18th of this month for Philly...are you stalking me? ;-)

I hope you find what you're looking for. Happy Anniversary!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:59 AM

A few years ago, my sister and I checked out a lot of the hotels in Santa Fe for my parents to stay at. The one we decided on was the Inn on the Alameda. They have breakfast and wine every night. One night my parents were there they even had an artist in to talk about their paintings or something like that. The rooms are nice big bright and spacious.

We found La Posada and La Fonda to be overpriced and tiny rooms. The Inn on the alameda is probably a block away from the main square which makes it a little quieter. I don't know if it has a spa though.

I've heard fabulous things about 10,000 waves and that's what you should do for a spa anyway.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
hdm

We stayed at the Inn of the Governors and it was very nice. The room was very clean and was decorated tastefully in the southwest style with a lovely ceramic fireplace in one corner. Wood was provided on request. The hotel was about a block away from the central square and the desk clerks were always helpful in giving us maps and directions when we needed them. I think we ate a couple of breakfasts in the restaurant but I don't remember enough about that to comment.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM

Not sure what you are looking for but I've found that I prefer Taos to Santa Fe (and your $$ will go a bit farther). Although there are places to stay in town, some of the better places tend to be out. I have also heard good things about La Posada & you can't beat the location. If you aren't locked into Santa Fe, check out Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Just got back yesterday from a four-night stay at Inn on the Alameda. Nice in every way; location, beautifully appointed rooms and public spaces, friendly staff, delicious breakfasts... The only thing I can find negative to say about it is that the picture of the "Deluxe King" room on the website makes it look larger than it actually is. Must be that wide-angle lens. ;-)

We were also in Santa Fe last fall, when we stayed at El Farolito. It is perhaps a five minute further walk from the Plaza, and probably because of that, less expensive than Inn on the Alameda. Most of the rooms there are separate casitas, so it doesn't have the hotel/motel feel of other accommodation choices. It also lacks some of the amenities of larger places - spa, fitness center, on-site dining choices, etc. - so, if those are important... But, had El Farolito not been booked, both my wife and I agreed we would have preferred a stay there again to Inn on the Alameda.

If you can get help with the budget, take a look at Inn of the Five Graces. I've not stayed there, but it's location is better than either El Farolito or Inn on the Alameda, and it is picture postcard perfect from the outside, and lobby-reception area.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions - I have been checking out all of the websites. I would imagine having a room w/a fireplace is going to be irrelevant mid-July, no?

Why would you choose Taos over Santa Fe? I haven't been to either and just chose Santa Fe because I have heard so many good things - art, food, culture. How about outdoorsy things - any good hiking in the area? Need to rent a car? Geez, I'm getting ahead of myself!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
hdm

True enough, Snowrooster. We were there early spring and there were still pockets of snow on the ground in the shady areas. Besides, I've been known to bump up the AC just so I can make a fire in the fireplace. For a little romance, y'know.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't choose Taos over Santa Fe although I like Taos very much. IMO, SF has a greater depth of sights, galleries, good food & shopping. You mentioned hiking and Bandelier National Monument is within 30-40 minutes of SF. Good hiking there.

I agree SF is pricer tho Taos isn't cheap.

Unless you only want to center yourselves around The Plaza (and it sounds like you don't) you'll want a car for things like Bandelier, Ten Thousand Waves, Shidoni and the museums (Indian Arts and International Folk Arts).

I think the price you quoted for La Posada seems kinda high for July but I've lost touch with their rates. You might want to check to see if there is a market or event in town that might be driving the prices. I'm pretty sure the Indian Market is Aug not July, but it's worth a look to see if something's up.

Sounds like a great trip!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

El Farolito's kiva fireplaces were wood-burning, and they didn't allow fires in them until Oct. Bummer! Inn on the Alameda's are gas, and like hdm said... ;-)

Whether you stayed in Santa Fe or Taos, you'd likely want a car for at least part of the time. Both towns are easily walkable, but you'll also want to see Bandelier (good hiking), Taos Pueblo, etc., not to mention the town you don't choose, all of which require a drive.

As to Taos vs. Santa Fe, unless you're hoping to bump into Julia Roberts, I'd opt for Santa Fe. Taos is just too small. And hey, I literally DID bump into Robert Culp in a Santa Fe restaurant the other night!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:34 AM

Taos is more laid back & geniune to me. It is also true that it is also smaller & cheaper. You'll really need a car in either place to do much hiking, etc. For example (& I think I've used this before) in Santa Fe you can view some great art, in Taos, you can actually purchase some great art. You'll also need to go to the Taos Pueblo regardless of where you stay. Make sure you go first thing in the morning to avoid tour buses. Don't get me wrong, I like Santa Fe, but I prefer Taos. Santa Fe is a bit too commercial for me.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM

<<For example (& I think I've used this before) in Santa Fe you can view some great art, in Taos, you can actually purchase some great art.>>

Not sure what you mean by this, SAnParis. "Great" is in the eye of the beholder. The scads of galleries lining Canyon Rd and the many more in the streets around the Plaza all have art they'd love to sell you. I'd have brought a couple pieces home if my wife hadn't convinced me that a bathroom remodel was a little more practical.

<<Taos is more laid back & geniune to me...Santa Fe is a bit too commercial for me.>>

No argument here. When we were in Santa Fe last year, we heard several long-time residents refer to the present day town as "Santa Fake." Still, there's much more to do and see there than in Taos, where one can see much of what there is in town in a half day.

Sorry to have taken this so far beyond your question, snowrooster.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM

Just a quick question re Santa Fe. Have any of you ever visited Santa Fe in early December? I realize it will be cold, but will it be to cold to enjoy ?

We have never visited that area and were hoping to celebrate our birthdays there this year. The Inn on The Alameda sounds like the perfect place to stay.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
samting

La Fonda is pretty nice...right in the center of town and very historic.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

We stayed at the Inn at the Governors and would recommed it. The location is very good (a couple of bl0cks from the plaza), the breakfast was very good, parking is free, and the attached restaurant is great for an inexpensive casual meal or just a drink at the bar.

We were there this July. The weather was great, and the 4th of July pancake breakfast at the plaza is somehting worth seeing (if you're there for the 4th).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information