Search

Where to stay in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in San Diego

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the most convenient/safe neighbourhood to stay in San Diego, assuming I don't have a vehicle and plan to walk or use public transit. I'm only in town for 2 days so I plan to visit the zoo and just walk around.

How's the public transit system in SD? Is it as good as San Francisco/L.A.?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM

>>

San Francisco has a great public transportation system, LA does not and neither does San Diego.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM

If you stay downtown, walking and the trolley system will quickly get you to most places that would be of interest to tourists.

You will, however, have to ride the #7 Bus to get to the SD Zoo.

This pdf will show you what to ride to get to where.
http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/RTM_March2011.pdf
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul - I'm having a hard time figuring out the perimeter of the downtown core. Would you be able to narrow the area down a bit for me? Thanks so much!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM

No city in America has a sign stating "You are now entering 'Downtown'" -- it's an arbitrary designation, and my definition is as good as that from anyone else.
My opinion is that it north of Petco Park, west of 11th Street, south of 'A' Street, and northeast of the harbor. Most lodging within that area will allow you to walk to some of the best spots in San Diego.

IMPORTANT NOTE: lodging near the Gaslamp Quarter will have revelers outside till late at night -- this is plus or minus, depending on what type of experience you're looking for.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM

I have stayed at 2 hotels in Gaslamp district and neither time was I bothered by "revelers" - The Omni and Courtyard. Both were in great location for getting around.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Check this out:

http://www.spire.com/luxurytravelsale/hotel/sofia-hotel
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
>

Same here. I've stayed at the Omni a few times. Nice hotel in a good location. Just last week, I had an overnight in San Diego (unexpected due to flight problems) and ended up staying at a hotel in Old Town, an area I never visited before. I liked it a lot and the trolley was close by. There seem to be a bigger choice of less expensive hotels there than in Gaslamp, so it might be worthwhile to look into if you are budget conscious.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:57 AM

I would check out staying in the Mission Valley/Hotel Circle area - which is close to Old Town (you could walk) and there is a trolley stop at Old Town. It's not that far from the Zoo so you could take a taxi there - or ask at the hotel for the bus routes.

Again, it's a central location - near the Mission and see: http://www.hotelcirclehotels.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM

There is also some great B & B places - Victorian themed - right by Old Town - called Heritage Park. see: http://www.heritageparkinn.com/

Bon Vacance.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM

And as noted by another blogger - there are some other Hotels by Old Town. Just google away.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM

I vote for the Omni since you are traveling alone? Or worried about safety. The Gaslamp area is nice and populated in the evenings and fun to walk/have dinner. Transportation is simple around downtown and getting to the Zoo and Balboa Park are easy. You might even look into the the "Old Town Trolley Tour". It will take you to the main destinations and give you a little overview of the area. Plus you can "hop on and off" and use as your transporation for the day. It has several pick up locations downtown. You can book online ahead of time or check with your hotel. Enjoy
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Hotel Circle is a barren wasteland whose most attractive tourist feature os the Interstate 8 Freeway.

Stay downtown.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM

>>

Couldn't agree more. And seriously, WALK to Old Town? It's not to far to walk, but it sure isn't the most attractive.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Geesh - was only mentioning Hotel Circle to have a clean and inexpensive option. And you sure as heck can walk from there to Old town, but having said that - I would still opt for staying at the Victorian themed Heritage Park. http://www.heritageparkinn.com/

Or you can stay in the busy Gaslamp.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM

And here are some other hotels in Old Town - which I don't think about as much as perhaps I should . Also agree that it would be better to stay here rather than at Hotel Circle.

see: http://gothere.com/sandiego/oldtown/sleep.htm
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM

I stayed at La Quinta in Old Town for one night. Not a type of place I would usually stay when on vacation but it was clean, relatively cheap ($85) and close to everything in that area.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Always interesting points of view when you are a San Diego resident.
Here is my input:

stay downtown waterfront, ie Hyatt, Marriott, even the Embassey Suites. (Gaslamp will be a long block type walk across the street.) Do NOT stay at Downtown waterfront Hilton: too far from GAslamp and sits on it's own. Short taxi to/from airport and gives you the "best" in access to Gaslmap which has some not so savory areas...
Don't stay in Old Town or Mission Valley/Hotel Circle for this trip as you do not have a car and the taxi rides are much longer than staying downtown.

Omni is an option is you want to stay right in GAslamp: may have some water harbor views, but not on the waterfront like Hyatt and Marriott...
Embassey Suites is across teh street from MArriott: not directly on teh waterfron but with waterfront views and easy walk same side of the street to Gaslamp.

Here is a a map of the downtown San Diego waterfront. Convention center is on the waterfront: Marriott just north and Hyatt just north of the Marriott on the waterfront.
http://www.visitsandiego.com/attendees/maps.cfm

This link will help with getting to the Zoo etc..
http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/4440
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM

>>

Although I would agree with you, my cousin stayed there recently, and loved it (and they walked to and ate dinner in the Gaslamp almost every night).
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM

I've stayed at both the Hyatt and Marriott and I agree that they are also good choices - of the two I prefer the Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -