Search

Where to stay in Portland?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Portland?

Hi Everyone:
looking for a luxury hotel for a couple of days in August. Any suggestions? Could be a hotel or bed and breakfast. I'd like a nice clean, updated 4 or 5 star place. Thanks,
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Maine? Oregon?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM

If it's Oregon you're headed, I love the 5th Ave Suites. It's a Kimpton hotel and very lovely. I can also recommend the restaurant, Red Star Tavern. I usually shy away from hotel restaurants, but this one is more of a city restaurant that is attached to the hotel. Great local food and wine.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:51 AM

The Benson!! A very historic wonderful hotel. The lobby is just so nice and the lounge has jazz at night to slow dance to and serves food. So you feel your in a old romantic supper club. The location is great walkable to many restaurants, waterfront and "the market" a outdoor market with every kind of vender also food and music. You can shop then sit drink a micro and listen to music. Great people watching. have fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM

The Heathman Hotel is very nice. It is in downtown Portland. Our stay there last month was great.

We also really enjoy the Riverplace Hotel, down by the waterfront. It is a luxury property with many nice amenities. riverplacehoteldotcom for the website. I have heard good reviews about Portland's White House for the B&B part of your question. Check Tripadvisor for Reviews! ***kim***
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Be aware that the Riverplace Hotel is on the Naito Pkwy which is being dug up and re-constructed, causing much noise, dirt, and traffic congestion.
People who live in Portland know this, and try to warn visitors away from the mess that has been going on all summer long.

Aside from the fact that it is a bit out of the way from everything, but I think some people get freebies and stay there regardless.

Luxury hotels in Portland:
The Heathman www.heathmanhotel.com is nice, they re-did some rooms, big, old, popular hotel..next door to the Schnitzer Concert Hall so you can maybe get tickets to something .. the restaurant and bar are fun.

The 5th Avenue Suites www.5thavenuesuites.com are very nice, better rooms for the price than the Heathman..after all, they are suites! and there is a younger more interesting "vibe" there ( IMO)...free wine tasting every evening in the lobby "living room"..

Stay away from the Paramount, nice hotel but they are doing huge construction on the block in front of the hotel, and it is SO noisy and dirty!

The Hotel DeLuxe has just opened. Have not stayed there but friends have taken a tour and it sounds very nice..it is the newest of the Portland Hotels, I believe.

I think the B&Bs are on the Eastside of town..The Benson is definitely old school posh , across the street from newer younger school hotels The Lucia www.hotellucia.com and the Vintage www.vintageplaza.com ( Kimpton sister to the 5th Ave Suites)...

Hope this helps..good idea to visit in August, we are having great warm sunny dry days

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies, unfortunately the 5th ave suites are 'sold out. I'll try the others you suggested.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Do let us know if you get as far down the list as Riverplace, and we'll come up with more suggestions. My wife and I we by there yesterday. Freebies or not (and I bet you're right, Scarlett ), I've never understood the appeal. It's so unnorthwesterny. And that's not to mention the ongoing construction and relative poor location.

I'm throwing my vote to the Hotel de Luxe. We live in a Portland suburban town, so rarely have had reason to spend an overnight in the city. Having been through Hotel de Luxe, my wife now has a reason, so we're planning a night there next month. I'm hoping you'll be our guinea pig, so to speak. ;-) But, I'd bet you'd enjoy a stay there.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Deals that include parking and breakfast at most of these hotels are usually available at www.travelportland.com

We recently stayed at the Lucia where we had a very stylish room with a big breakfast and parking included. It is located near 5th Avenue Suites, other popular hotels, and a variety of good restaurants.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM
jgg

Just have to put my two cents in here about the Riverplace. We just stayed at the Riverplace Hotel last month for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. There were absolutely no problems with all the construction going on. Frankly, it is not right near the hotel. We had a beautiful view of the river and boats and the service was excellent.

While normally I prefer to stay more in the DT core at the 5th Avenue Suites, Hotel Vintage Plaza or Downtown Marriott we stayed at the Riverplace as it was closer to my husband's meetings so he could walk. My daughter and I took MAX to the shopping downtown with no problems. Actually, staying there was a bit more convenient when we did decide to drive to the Eastside of town for dinner, etc.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Just an FYI.. DH and I just stayed 2 weeks ago at 5th and I must say that our experience was not "luxury." Especially for the money...

Yes the room on the 10th was big but not clean. The bathroom smelled of dog no matter what the Hotel staff did and tehy did try to help. Our floor lamp was very dirty as was the phone and there was absolutely no view.
We did ask for a room not designated to dogs at reservation but when we checked in none was available..and we did ask for anothher room when hotel staff could not get rid of teh dog smell..they were full and could not accomodate.

Our refridgerator key would not unlock the refridge without a half an hour struggle.

There was free coffee but no hot water for the tea bags provided in the lobby.

The commen hallways had alot of wear and tear... I do think this hotel was centrally located otherwise we found the downtown MArriott much more "luxury."

I do want to say teh staff were very pleasant and accomodating
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM

I have lived in Portland almost my entire life so I rarely stay in a hotel.

Last week my boyfriend and I stayed at the Benson and loved it! The service is great and they have Tempurpedic beads!! It was a dream sleep!

The Benson also has, IMHO, the best steak house in Portland attached to it; El Gaucho! I don't eat steak but they have other offerings. This is my favorite restaurant for excellent service.

The Lucia Hotel has the best Thai restaurant attached to it; Thyphoon! Yummy! The ahi larb salad and the drunken noodles are delicious!

The Governor Hotel is also very nice. Their suites are beautiful.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Jar1, which floor were you on, in the 5th Avenue Suites?
A shame that you were unhappy, first time I have heard a complaint...hopefully with the new re-vamping of the hotel, this will be the only complaint.

yamamar, not luxury as such but I read a review yesterday of the Inn@Northrup Station and it sounded great..this would be more of a B&B..in a great area in town too.
www.northrupstation.com
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the Riverplace, jgg. My son stayed there with friends in June and didn't mention the construction at all. It's a great place to stay, you feel very pampered there. Thanks for the valid info! ***kim***
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...ex.cfm?c=ebfgi

"Where:
Tom McCall Waterfront park
Due to construction this summer, SW Naito Parkway will be open southbound only.
"

For anyone coming to visit, here is some "valid" information on the ongoing construction on the highway, being spoken of, in Portland.
It began in Feb 2006 and will continue into 2007. If you have been here, you have seen it, but this might help those who are planning a trip or have not been here.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I personally would avoid the Riverplace area. The construction is not adjacent to the hotel, in the literal sense, but it is so close.

1JAR--Sorry to hear that. We have had great stays there, so it surprises me. Not saying it didn't happen...not at all. Just that it is not typical. If you have not already, I would urge you to call the GM and let him know. He is a very nice man and really wants everyone to have a good experience.